U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 07:08 AM

113 posts, read 20,048 times

Advertisements

A/C is your friend all year round. This past winter used heat about 3 times over whole season. The high temps in the summer in Central Florida aren't that different from the highs up north, but the nights provide limited relief as they are not significantly cooler than day temps- air still listless and humid. And the summer never seems to end. the average high in October is mid 80's. Average high November is high 70's. And summer starts earlier. This past March had 20 days with temps over 85 degrees.

Acclimate your body to the change in environment from Chicago to Tampa. You will have to monitor your hydration level which is not usually a "thing" in Chicago. When outside, don't forget the sunscreen, hat, and water.

And btw, those car seats get hot. Get a windshield visor. Lovebug season is April-May. Keep paper towels handy for cleaning windshield.

And the best thing of all, Tampa is in the Eastern time zone so prime time doesn't start until 8 pm rather than at 7 pm in Chicago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 12:21 PM

36 posts, read 15,799 times
Appreciate the helpful comments, and the one calling me clueless. I need to be reminded of all the angry people out there and why I like dogs. 20 days in March above 85, I'll have to go look at the "feels like" on those out of curiosity. I am aware of the heat for sure though and have visited there plenty in summer. Sometimes in suit and tie for work which was miserable but light clothing would have taken it from miserable to tolerable.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:23 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,945 posts, read 4,192,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
Appreciate the helpful comments, and the one calling me clueless. I need to be reminded of all the angry people out there and why I like dogs. 20 days in March above 85, I'll have to go look at the "feels like" on those out of curiosity. I am aware of the heat for sure though and have visited there plenty in summer. Sometimes in suit and tie for work which was miserable but light clothing would have taken it from miserable to tolerable.
Unless you're an investment banker or attorney a suit and tie will mark you as an outsider. My first day on the job here years ago in a major corporation I showed up in a jacket and tie. The people laughed at me.

Business casual for the most part. T/polo shirt, cargo shorts and slip on loafers or maybe even sandals for casual wear.

RM

Old 05-27-2020, 02:27 PM

I am a banker and was meeting with other suit types. That phase is over and will not be the case. I always thought they had it right in Bermuda where they truly adapted the business suit with shorts. I think everywhere shoudl adapt. For years I fought the battle here in Chicago sloshing thru snow and ice in shined wingtips constantly getting them shined. Waste of time in hindsight. Standard business outfit in this climate should be about warmth and comfort.

But I digress.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:32 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,945 posts, read 4,192,853 times
I was just in a meeting with a Wisconsinite and was sharing stories of living in the Great White North. The proverbial question about "How do you handle the heat and humidity?" came up. Here's how I've addressed that for decades:

In Wisconsin/Chicago, wherever up North, when it's cold outside you turn on the heat and stay inside unless you want to go out. If you do, you put on your Carharts and go out. Life goes on and doesn't prevent you from being outside.

In Florida, the same thing happens in the warmer months. You turn on the AC, spend time in the pool, and dress accordingly if you're going to be outside. It doesn't stop life from going on.

RM

Old 05-27-2020, 02:37 PM

I tend to agree. I think there though lends itself to more outside days, maybe, that was really the original question I was asking. I live urban in downtown Chicago so weather is even less of a factor, I don't have to drive, take train to work, don't have to shovel or deal with winter or other traffic. I walk to stores, restaurants etc. even in Winter as I can throw a stone and hit 25 restaurants. Pandemic chaged all that more than weather ever could.

Really the only weather impact is you don't sit outside per se for 5 months.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:28 PM

113 posts, read 20,048 times
The only real walking you have to do in Tampa is from your car to the store/restaurant/gym. That's why everyone is so quick to point out jogging trails, bayside runs, etc. Since no one actually walks any place, you have to take the time to exercise/bike/run in addition to your daily tasks.

I lived in NYC and never drove any place - we walked. And walked. And walked. Didn't have to specifically exercise - just getting around the city and taking the stairs provided all the exercise you would need. Not so here. The best joke of course is that people drive to the gym and then try to park as close to the building as possible, rather than park at the far end of the lot.

I found the cold weather easier. I could always put on another sweater, but when the heat/humidity combines, there is limit to how much clothing you can shed! Today we had a high of 88 degrees: Real Feel 100 degrees. Tomorrow we are expecting a high of 89 degrees. Real Feel 102 degrees.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,819,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
Yes I am one of those dreamers looking to arrive with 24 months. I get it is hot and humid in summers and have visited and not looking for the usual debate about just how hot it is or to compare to another place. Curious though how much time you spend and what your routine is in vs. out etc and a typical day for you.

I would a be a work from home Chanelside District Condo guy 40 something no kids. So no commute able to come and go as I please for most part with a wife in same boat.

I am sure Nov. to May would suit me well as a lifelong Chicagoan. As for there, I envision an early morning walk in summer to grab a coffee maybe a 30 minute walk or so, and home by 10AM. Sit on my balcony a lot and when too hot go down to complex pool or inside to A/C. As the sun went down maybe I could hop the streetcar to YBOR for dinner or hang again outside.

Come summer here in Chicago I am outside as much as possible. I would like more of that, I figure I get 4 to 5 months here. I am feeling there I will get 7 to 8 of great and 4 to 5 months I manage it in some way. My ratio of outside time should increase dramatically acknowledging I doubt I will ever think 100 heat index and humid is ideal. At an age and desires such that culture, activity I will make work, it's really for me just about wanting to be comfortable weather wise outside more.

Since each and everyone's day to day is different, curious about your real world experience in the "hot humid" season.
Here is my perspective- first, I am a lifelong Florida resident, born and raised in Tampa, 70 y.o. have lived in a few Florida cities. I love it here. I love the warmth and even some humidity. The best weather is October through April - this can vary different years where we have some hot or cold spells. This year the beautiful weather lasted through most of this month. If you don't mind some heat, you will love it all year except the worst months, June through Sept. But even then the rain and thunderstorms can cool things off quite nicely. And for the record, I love being outdoors and exercise outside every single day (walking and bike riding)

If you haven't gotten your condo yet, absolutely find one that does NOT face the sun. Also if you are near water or shade, those also can provide breeze and cooling effect. From what you have posted, I personally think you will love living in the Channelside District which is growing by leaps and bounds.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2020, 07:44 AM

643 posts, read 467,726 times
I try to hibernate from May-Oct. Working from home has helped me avoid the dreadful weather outside right now.
As mentioned before, the worst is the reverse west wind flow mo with the sticky uncomfortable sweaty mornings.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:57 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,779,068 times
Personally, we are not in the thick of it yet. I am still enjoying my mornings and evenings outside. I enjoy this time of year once the rains start. So much easier moving my large landscaping plants around knowing mother nature will be helping me water them till they get established. Two years ago I removed and replace all the grass in the front of the house by myself the first week of july. I knew all that rain would help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or