Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 04:50 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
I try to hibernate from May-Oct. Working from home has helped me avoid the dreadful weather outside right now.
As mentioned before, the worst is the reverse west wind flow mo with the sticky uncomfortable sweaty mornings.
And never much rain at all where i live on the gulf day after day with a reverse west windflow bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 08:20 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Personally, we are not in the thick of it yet. I am still enjoying my mornings and evenings outside. I enjoy this time of year once the rains start. So much easier moving my large landscaping plants around knowing mother nature will be helping me water them till they get established. Two years ago I removed and replace all the grass in the front of the house by myself the first week of july. I knew all that rain would help it.
^This-things are sorta trending later, and that's not just for this summer, in both directions. I'd say April ended up being perhaps as comfortable as December... and May maybe was not as bad as November. I know it's coming-lol, but this hasn't been the worst.

So first off, I'll be honest-my wife and I are both teachers. Meaning we get about 55-65 days off each summer... we are usually gone out of state for a minimum of 25-30 of those. It certainly helps. As for the rest of the time-a number of people I know tend to just come in and out of air conditioning at that time (and I think more Floridian RESIDENTS than you would think are surprisingly very indoor oriented creatures... perhaps as a result.) I can't really do that just hibernating thing... so I try to make the best of it and be active. During the summer months, I try to run either in the mornings, or in the early evenings (though not too late as to not be eaten alive by mosquitoes lol). Most of the rest of the day I generally stay in-but, of late-I really do enjoy cities and exploring their cores-I feel like if I was in a downtown setting like you were all the time, the negative effects of summer would be reduced for me, for the reasons, and aesthetic qualities you mention (for instance, Hong Kong has a similar climate to Florida-albeit cooler up in the mountains and with more shady forest trails and less sunlight-to be fair), and it didn't bother me one bit, at least during my visit there. Normally, I may (and many Floridians do go to the mall)-as much as anything-it's an opportunity to walk around somewhere other than your house, but still be in air conditioning. Then, of course when work either is winding down or starting back, sometimes I'm really just too busy to think about how it's too hot. The weather is one of my least favorite aspects of living here overall-and even during winter months (at least during last few years warming period) it's at times too hot for my liking... but I survive I suppose, and other people probably can too, depending on their tastes. It helps to distract yourself from it, or try to. Or travel.. lol.

I should point out that for people that like being active outdoors, but I'd say esp. distance running, it's an entirely different beast. Perhaps some people that regularly run and are from down here will disagree-but to me, the ideal temperature for running, is about 15-20 degrees cooler than the ideal temperature for actually being outside, and Florida is frequently even warmer than that latter temperature. Similarly... doing yard work, weeding, etc. is an entirely different beast from having a beer and relaxing/reading a book on your balcony regardless of which way the sun is facing haha.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:48 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
It is not that it is hotter here, it is that summer lasts 11 months here. Literally. Check the weather history and decide what you can tolerate . We have already hit the 90's and it is only June 1st.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:29 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
You're looking at it backwards. Instead of focusing on what you can tolerate come June, July and august, start looking at the fact that November, December, January and February are the months you'll love to be outside. We don't have winters. There's no snow or bitter cold to keep you inside. There's hardly any rain, either.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:16 PM

84 posts, read 47,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
^ having a beer and relaxing/reading a book on your balcony regardless of which way the sun is facing haha.
That is point of my orginal post. I am not a distance runner, I do not work outside, I live in a Condo and do no yardwork and work from home so no commute.

SO with that framework, I think I get more balcony days there than here in Chicago, I think. Thanks to those who responded, never was I trying to say one weather or the other was better or was I not aware of the heat. Quite the opposite and when I put it together it seems more "balcony" days there.

Last edited by Walkaboutcreek; 06-01-2020 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 03:18 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
That is point of my orginal post. I am not a distance runner, I do not work outside, I live in a Condo and do no yardwork and work from home so no commute.

SO with that framework, I think I get more balcony days there than here in Chicago, I think. Thanks to those who responded, never was I trying to say one weather or the other was better or was I not aware of the heat. Quite the opposite and when I put it together it seems more "balcony" days there.
I think you nailed it. Definitely more balcony days here.

RM

Old 06-01-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
It is not that it is hotter here, it is that summer lasts 11 months here. Literally. Check the weather history and decide what you can tolerate . We have already hit the 90's and it is only June 1st.
It is almost 90's every month now somewhere in the state nate. It has warmed up so much since the 80's from fall thru spring dean. Within 30 years we will see 90's year round and out past 70 years it won't be nice as sea temps start to run away and much of our sea life starts to die off. The seas go we go and out past 120 years this won't be a fun planet to live on anymore janet. Only gonna take a few degrees in rise for water temps to see a huge die off.

Millions of new planets out there and all a million + years travel time or more unless we can lick the time speed thing and that will never happen.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post

Just walking outside clyde when we are in a reverse west windflow blowing off of nasty 90+ degree water temps with lows of 83f+ and dew points of 77 to 84f is gonna be a slap in the face and you will think you are on the surface of Venus. If you are right on the gulf it is even worse in the summer as the super warm gulf water acts like a steam bath with any kind of west flow bro. We used to have real winters back in the 80's with lows of 19f to 24f in Tampa year after year. Now it is rare to see 30's at all anymore.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
You're looking at it backwards. Instead of focusing on what you can tolerate come June, July and august, start looking at the fact that November, December, January and February are the months you'll love to be outside. We don't have winters. There's no snow or bitter cold to keep you inside. There's hardly any rain, either.
There used to be snow bro and plenty of rain some winters. Now that the planet is super heating at a even faster rate in time the jet stream will be gone for good once sea temps rise as we already see in the fall thru winters we see much less active fronts with wind and rain. Soon FL will be dry as the ME area of the world once gulf temps run away. But we did have some winters with lots of rain like 97-98 with over 35" in 4 months and snow that was on the roofs in the shadows till noon in Jan 1977.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Well, if you are only looking to sit on your balcony, it's still hot and unless your balcony is open on three sides, you generally won't get a good breeze. Be careful which way it faces. Ask how many people have fans on their balconies and patios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: