U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 10:08 AM

36 posts, read 15,751 times

Advertisements

It tends to be my primary activity of enjoyment. Or shall I say even if I go out to eat everyday, the vast majority of time is at home and the balcony. I get no where is perfect. Hot is not bad to me within reason based on what the activity is. The next month or three will largely be perfect sitting outside days here in the Windy City, but it will come to an end about the time your "perfect" weather begins.

I think here I end up with 5 months of outside comfort, I bet there 8.5 a 70% increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 11:59 AM

10,759 posts, read 9,457,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Here is my perspective- first, I am a lifelong Florida resident, born and raised in Tampa, 70 y.o. have lived in a few Florida cities. I love it here. I love the warmth and even some humidity. The best weather is October through April - this can vary different years where we have some hot or cold spells. This year the beautiful weather lasted through most of this month. If you don't mind some heat, you will love it all year except the worst months, June through Sept. But even then the rain and thunderstorms can cool things off quite nicely. And for the record, I love being outdoors and exercise outside every single day (walking and bike riding)

If you haven't gotten your condo yet, absolutely find one that does NOT face the sun. Also if you are near water or shade, those also can provide breeze and cooling effect. From what you have posted, I personally think you will love living in the Channelside District which is growing by leaps and bounds.

Good luck!
Good advice! Definitely a place that faces North/South is your best bet. That afternoon sun is a killer.

I live in South Florida which is hotter longer than Tampa and I do everything I do all year long.

I walk a half mile to work and back every day. I place tennis outside all year long. I do my cardio outside all year long. The heat doesn't ever cause me to hibernate in my home. Neither does literally anyone else I know.

Boat, bike, swim, go to the beach, etc.

I'm from South Carolina and for sure the summers were hotter in South Carolina than they are here. Our temps have never reached 100 degrees in South Florida.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:13 PM

There is never a way to avoid it but it seems ideally I would pick a East side facing on the North end of a building. Getting pretty picky there but I think that would minimize the direct exposure most? Rises in east, works around to south side most of day, then to west side, then briefly shines on North side on way down. I think that is how it works here at least.

At least that's what works here.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:31 PM

10,759 posts, read 9,457,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
There is never a way to avoid it but it seems ideally I would pick a East side facing on the North end of a building. Getting pretty picky there but I think that would minimize the direct exposure most? Rises in east, works around to south side most of day, then to west side, then briefly shines on North side on way down. I think that is how it works here at least.

At least that's what works here.
Walkaboutcreek, the afternoon sun is brutal. The sun wherever you are is not like Florida sun. At 12noon the sun is directly overhead.

During the winter months you get that slant but not May through September.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:38 PM

I keep forgetting about that latitude thing ;-) Again, was thinking less exposure acknowledging it may be splitting hairs but I think east side or south side of a giant condo building would give me a bit more shade over a 24 hr period than the north or west side of it.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:48 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,778,613 times
Quote:
I keep forgetting about that latitude thing ;-) Again, was thinking less exposure acknowledging it may be splitting hairs but I think east side or south side of a giant condo building would give me a bit more shade over a 24 hr period than the north or west side of it.

If you enjoy sitting outside, east side would work the best, next I would go with the north. Southern exposure you would bake to a crisp.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:51 PM

I've been sitting all day on my east facing balcony in Chicago where it is 90 but humidity is a nice 40%. Perfect, too hot to walk too far in sun though already, but sitting / short walk in shade, wonderful.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:50 PM

16,117 posts, read 10,915,619 times
Never gonna see 40% in the summer here and that is a bummer. It's a living hell here mel.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:31 PM

But you will in the winter splinter.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:37 PM

16,117 posts, read 10,915,619 times
Quote:
But you will in the winter splinter.
We are talking summer not winter jenter. And our winters are not the same as the 1980's james.
Year after year of 19f to 24f in Tampa. 1980 saw a 29f on March 3rd 1980 and 81,82,83,84,85,86 and 89 all were much colder than anything since 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or