U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2020, 03:15 PM
 
36 posts, read 15,751 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Yes I am one of those dreamers looking to arrive with 24 months. I get it is hot and humid in summers and have visited and not looking for the usual debate about just how hot it is or to compare to another place. Curious though how much time you spend and what your routine is in vs. out etc and a typical day for you.

I would a be a work from home Chanelside District Condo guy 40 something no kids. So no commute able to come and go as I please for most part with a wife in same boat.

I am sure Nov. to May would suit me well as a lifelong Chicagoan. As for there, I envision an early morning walk in summer to grab a coffee maybe a 30 minute walk or so, and home by 10AM. Sit on my balcony a lot and when too hot go down to complex pool or inside to A/C. As the sun went down maybe I could hop the streetcar to YBOR for dinner or hang again outside.

Come summer here in Chicago I am outside as much as possible. I would like more of that, I figure I get 4 to 5 months here. I am feeling there I will get 7 to 8 of great and 4 to 5 months I manage it in some way. My ratio of outside time should increase dramatically acknowledging I doubt I will ever think 100 heat index and humid is ideal. At an age and desires such that culture, activity I will make work, it's really for me just about wanting to be comfortable weather wise outside more.

Since each and everyone's day to day is different, curious about your real world experience in the "hot humid" season.

Last edited by Walkaboutcreek; 05-25-2020 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2020, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,945 posts, read 4,191,551 times
Reputation: 3726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
Yes I am one of those dreamers looking to arrive with 24 months. I get it is hot and humid in summers and have visited and not looking for the usual debate about just how hot it is or to compare to another place. Curious though how much time you spend and what your routine is in vs. out etc and a typical day for you.

I would a be a work from home Chanelside Distirct Condo guy 40 something no kids. So no commute able to come and go as I please for most part with a wife in same boat.

I am sure Nov. to May would suit me well as a lifelong Chicagoan. As for there, I envision an early morning walk in summer to grab a coffee maybe a 30 minute walk or so, and home by 10AM. Sit on my balcony a lot and when too hot go down to complex pool or inside to A/C. As the sun went down maybe I could hop the streetcar to YBOR for dinner or hang again outside.

Come summer here in Chicago I am outside as much as possible. I would like more of that, I figure I get 4 to 5 months here. I am feeling there I will get 7 to 8 of great and 4 to 5 months I manage it in some way. My ratio of outside time should increase dramatically acknowledging I doubt I will ever think 100 heat index and humid is ideal. At an age and desires such that culture, activity I will make work, it's really for me just about wanting to be comfortable weather wise outside more.

Since each and everyone's day to day is different, curious about your real world experience in the "hot humid" season.
As a former Midwesterner (Milwaukee and Indianapolis) I can assure you that the heat and humidity is no worse than a hot and humid Midwestern August day. One difference is that temperatures don't fluctuate as wildly here, that is, a 90 degree day might only have an 80 degree night, so there's no relief from the heat and humidity at night like there is in the Midwest. Being that close to the water it might be a little better, but not significantly.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 03:31 PM
 
182 posts, read 110,187 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
I am sure Nov. to May would suit me well as a lifelong Chicagoan. As for there, I envision an early morning walk in summer to grab a coffee maybe a 30 minute walk or so, and home by 10AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
Since each and everyone's day to day is different, curious about your real world experience in the "hot humid" season.
Summer sunrise in Tampa is around ~6:30am. A 30-minute walk during this "hot humid" season here, say, between 9:30-10am, when the sun is already well up in the sky, and you're surrounded by concrete and asphalt, will most likely have the average resident sweating profusely before the walk is over. If you're ok with that, then you'll fit right in.

As for sitting on the balcony, it will vary...If it's in direct sunlight, even in the morning, being surrounded by concrete and glass will elevate the balcony temperature even higher to a possibly-uncomfortable level. For most of the year, a balcony usually in the shade will be much more enjoyable than one always in direct sunlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 03:40 PM
 
36 posts, read 15,751 times
Reputation: 31
Yeah, don't mind sweating. And also I don't mind the heat in smaller doses but get I will not be walking forever. Down to the corner Pubix, coffee shop etc. is just fine. When we vacation in the hot, I have a routine that ends about 10AM when yes I am already sweating and then I head back out later at night. I like that rotation. Hell I went for a walk here in the sun this morning and after 30 minutes I am hot, that is normal for exertion in the sun.

In my days of wearing suit and commuting everyday definitly different than current. Currently no. And yes, Condo selection will include a thorough baclony due diligence of shade time.

Today in Chicago has been about 80 and been on my balcony all day in shade/sun mix. What I want is that day as much as I can get it, but I understand that day is not summer there per se but the statistician in me says I will have many more of those moments there than here, where basically October to around now my balcony is out of commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 04:55 PM
 
16,110 posts, read 10,915,619 times
Reputation: 5333
Now our falls thru spring have been blazing hot the last 9 years as we keep breaking record hot months time after time as the planet super heats. With a never ending west flow in the summer our lows can be 84f and dew points as high as 86f where i live on the gulf. It is total hell for me and i was born in Tampa and seen how much hotter it has been since 1990 and the ramp up in heating since 2011 is off the charts. Within 30 years 90's will be year round and out past 70 years most living things in the seas will start to die off as run away sea temps just keep getting hotter. Only takes a few degree's rise in the sea temp to kill off most living things. Out past 120 years and this won't be a fun planet to live on anymore.

Shame there are millions of other planets just waiting but with a million + years travel time to the nearest planets than can support life we will never get to them unless the time= speed thing can be licked and that will never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 05:32 PM
 
36 posts, read 15,751 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Now our falls thru spring have been blazing hot the last 9 years as we keep breaking record hot months time after time as the planet super heats. With a never ending west flow in the summer our lows can be 84f and dew points as high as 86f where i live on the gulf. It is total hell for me and i was born in Tampa and seen how much hotter it has been since 1990 and the ramp up in heating since 2011 is off the charts. Within 30 years 90's will be year round and out past 70 years most living things in the seas will start to die off as run away sea temps just keep getting hotter. Only takes a few degree's rise in the sea temp to kill off most living things. Out past 120 years and this won't be a fun planet to live on anymore.

Shame there are millions of other planets just waiting but with a million + years travel time to the nearest planets than can support life we will never get to them unless the time= speed thing can be licked and that will never happen.
I've read a lot of your back posts on this and they seem to usually set off a lot of fighting. I don't really have an opinion and was hoping for a realistic what most people do during the day in these times. I apprciated your view though as a local with a non cheerleading view, that is important. I love Chicago, but have no problem calling out its faults.

"Blazing hot" sounds good every November through May here. Now I acknowledge our October and April May months are "nice" depending but not a true sit outside I am looking for these days.

Antecdotally in Chicago as a guy whose been here his 4 + decades, our winters are indeed "Milder" but it seems to be coming at the expense of no real fall or spring. We sort of go from Winter which may be a few degrees warmer and way less snow than when I was a kid but still cold right into Summer. Then we get snow in October sometimes, very cold November. It varies but defintly not a true 4 seasons as some like to call it.

More two seasons, with a couple months of bouncing back and forth. Maybe 2.87 seasons, cold 5 months, hot 4 months, and 3 months of anyones guess.

Back on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 05:56 PM
 
16,110 posts, read 10,915,619 times
Reputation: 5333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
I've read a lot of your back posts on this and they seem to usually set off a lot of fighting. I don't really have an opinion and was hoping for a realistic what most people do during the day in these times. I apprciated your view though as a local with a non cheerleading view, that is important. I love Chicago, but have no problem calling out its faults.

"Blazing hot" sounds good every November through May here. Now I acknowledge our October and April May months are "nice" depending but not a true sit outside I am looking for these days.

Antecdotally in Chicago as a guy whose been here his 4 + decades, our winters are indeed "Milder" but it seems to be coming at the expense of no real fall or spring. We sort of go from Winter which may be a few degrees warmer and way less snow than when I was a kid but still cold right into Summer. Then we get snow in October sometimes, very cold November. It varies but defintly not a true 4 seasons as some like to call it.

More two seasons, with a couple months of bouncing back and forth. Maybe 2.87 seasons, cold 5 months, hot 4 months, and 3 months of anyones guess.

Back on topic.
I try to stay inside clyde most all summer. But gotta deal cleaning the C7 Corvette and mowing the yard and fishing offshore. I have always hated heat and high dew points, but would rather face our weather vs a winter up north. As long as you know what it is like here in the summer then you should be fine as wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2020, 01:47 AM
 
282 posts, read 339,820 times
Reputation: 714
i am pretty sure you are completely clueless as to what the weather is like here from mid May till mid October. Get back to us then and tell us how you liked it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2020, 06:01 AM
 
2,445 posts, read 1,778,613 times
Reputation: 3342
During the summer months you will find that shade is your friend. Doing any type of physical activity in direct sunlight hours on end is not for everyone. An hour here and two hours there is tolerable for most. Trees, umbrellas, canopies, sunshades, hats , sunglasses, cover patios, lanais, misting systems, swimming pools and spas. Anything that can give you shade or cool you down will help extend your time outside. One thing to consider when buying a house is to get the right exposure for your backyard. That blazing hot sun on the opposite side of the house makes a huge difference during that afternoon happy hour or bbq party. Come summer time our Florida bonus is the sunlight goes late into the evening giving us plenty of time to be outside. I am an outdoor person as well, so summer time is my fun time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 AM
Status: "If you want change, BECOME a Cop. Dare ya!" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Behind two gates and a nice wall
861 posts, read 151,713 times
Reputation: 651
I am outside all the time, usually in the pool, fishing, dining outside, golfing, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top