Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 01:27 AM

42 posts, read 53,569 times

Advertisements

Hello. Still learning and studying about the area planning to move in the near future. I came across to the info on Summer rain in Tampa.

I heard it rains a lot during summertime like almost every day but it could be just few hours a day. It can get real bad as you can barely see what’s in front of you. It rains so much that you cannot enjoy beach in the summer. This is what makes Tampa/Florida super humid in summer.

I am not a fan of rain. Would it be a deal breaker?
I lived in TACOMA,WA for 5-6 years, hated rain. More so hate the overcast.
How is the Tampa rain different from Seattle rain? Or are they similar?

We’re planning to move to Tampa mainly for beach and coast of living (from Sacramento)
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 03:15 AM

224 posts, read 228,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnsu View Post
Hello. Still learning and studying about the area planning to move in the near future. I came across to the info on Summer rain in Tampa.

I heard it rains a lot during summertime like almost every day but it could be just few hours a day. It can get real bad as you can barely see what’s in front of you. It rains so much that you cannot enjoy beach in the summer. This is what makes Tampa/Florida super humid in summer.

We’re planning to move to Tampa mainly for beach and coast of living (from Sacramento)
Thank you in advance.
Not too familiar with Seattle rain, but I can characterize the average summer Florida day: A pot of water on the stove that starts still and clear, heats up to a rumbling boil, then shuts off back to still and clear. In other words:

Early mornings are usually clear skies and calm, but you can feel the humidity. By late morning as the sun heats up the ground, scattered cumulus clouds start to appear as the heated surface air starts to rise in little "parcels". (Like the little bubbles that start to form on the bottom of a heated pot.) Early afternoons see some of the cumulus clouds start to tower up like those little bubbles starting to rise from the bottom of the pot as it gets warmer, eventually becoming a "boil" around 3-4pm as those rising bubbles become even more vigorous and turn into random blocks of thunderstorms. Like those individual random boiling bubbles in the pot, they're vigorous for only a short burst, then they quickly die out and clear as another bubble (thunderstorm) boils next to it. As the sun falls late in the afternoon (stove setting clicks to "off"), the boiling of the storms cedes, and the skies clear up again...only to be repeated the next day. It is also worth mentioning that with regard to the beaches, the prevailing wind pattern of a particular day over the peninsula will generally affect where the storms build and drift. If the day's prevailing winds are out of the east (from the Atlantic), the storms will generally stay off the east coast and push toward the west coast shorelines, and vise-versa. That easterly pattern off the Atlantic tends to be more prevalent.

If you monitor any Florida weather radar daily right now for about a week, you can witness the phenomenon, and pretty much set your watch to it.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:27 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Local rainfall amounts vary from day to day. With a east flow and west flow pattern during the summer so who gets rain and don't depends on where they live and the pattern. Oct thru May are dry most times, but can see 10" of rain in a months time during the winter once in a while like Dec 2018.

Also one area can get 3" in a hour during the summer while 4 miles away another area will not see a drop of rain of jane. Our summer rains are short lived and can be very heavy. Our winters have warmed up so much so we don't see the steady light rains like we did back in the 1970's and 80's.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:05 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnsu View Post

Thank you in advance.
OK, let's get one thing very straight:

Rain in the PNW is *nothing* like rain in Florida.

In the PNW, rain is more like what most people would characterize as "heavy mist". As a result, you can and do conduct your daily activities in it, even outdoor activities like golf, for example.

In Florida, the rain comes down in drops. It's not like a mist or heavy fog. It makes you wet, and it's not conducive to conducting any sort of activity outside. That being said, you sound like you think it's a raging downpour or deluge when it rains. While this can and does happen, it's not the norm. The rain just falls and things get wet.

When there are thunderstorms the larger threat is lightning, which is rare in the PNW.

The afternoon rain pattern isn't as common as it used to be in years past. Our resident rhymer can elaborate on the reasons for this. Also, the daily rain pattern is more prevalent in the interior of the state than along the coast, depending on the winds. This past week, for example, had afternoon thunderstorms occur about three to four days out of the week, if that.

When these rains occur, they're usually intense and short lived, meaning if you're at the beach, you find shelter until they pass and go back about your business. They rarely last for any length of time, and are often limited to a small area.

Being very familiar with Sacramento and the PNW, I think your biggest challenge will be the humidity. You've already dealt with heat if you live in the Central Valley. However, you haven't dealt with the humidity, which is quite oppressive. But - much like you deal with the heat where you are or the "roller shade" of overcast that covers the PNW from October to March, you learn to deal with it.

RM

Old 06-15-2020, 05:12 AM

672 posts, read 442,570 times
I lived in south Florida and Seattle for many years. The rain in Florida comes and goes quickly. It will be nothing like the dreary dismal rain of the PNW.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:18 AM

1,131 posts, read 386,833 times
Have lived in both areas. The climates are so different ---just be prepared to be miserable for about 8-months out of the year in FL from about 9:30 a.m to 8 p.m. daily due to the humidity. I used to think I got acclimated, but I don't think I ever have.

Not that The SEA-TAC area has great climate, either. I'm not sure I could say I've ever enjoyed either places. SEA-TAC reminded me of European weather. Very unpredictable and dreary for a great part of the year - so much that you'd enjoy any sunshine that you'd get.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:03 AM

747 posts, read 496,640 times
The rain comes and goes but it can be very intense. This part of Florida is the lightning capital of the world and the thunderstorms are seismic, but they typically only last a few minutes before it’s back to sunny skies. You likely can still head to the beach almost every day without issue.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:53 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Don't be concerned with the rain, be concerned about the humidity. The rain is an inconvenience. The humidity is what saps your will to do anything outdoors.

Having said that, the winters here are fantastic and worth the summer humidity.

And, having said that, don't be enamored with the idea of going to the beach. Close to beach housing is very expensive. Far from beach housing is affordable and, trust me, you're not going to want to spend an hour driving to the beach on a Saturday. Think pool, not beach. Private pool, too, not community.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:53 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Let the OP walk out at 6 am and get slapped in the face with a dew point of 80F+ and a low of around 82 to 84f when we are in a west flow in the summer. This week will see less rain thanks to dry upper levels. Should pick up a little by Thurs.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:28 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
I lived in south Florida and Seattle for many years. The rain in Florida comes and goes quickly. It will be nothing like the dreary dismal rain of the PNW.
My experience too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay