Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 08:42 PM

18 posts, read 19,764 times

Advertisements

I was initially looking at St Petersburg however due to the lack of inventory expanding out my search. I've been seeing some properties in Seminole that I like and are in my price range.

It's difficult to pull up info online as Seminol Heights in Tampa seems to popup all the time instead of Seminole, FL

So it appears there's kind of a west and east part of Seminole divided by "Long Bayou". I would assume and the little bit of info I find online seems to say the west part ie to the left of "Long Bayou" is a more desirable area. It also seems like the little peninsula to the Right of Long Bayou by the water is more desirable as well. Those areas seem to show as being best schools and most appreciation. However when I look at the crime maps those areas seem to be darker as if they have more crime, finding that a little confusing?

Can someone give me a better idea of what Seminole is actually like and where to avoid?

Also what can you tell me about the area near Starkley and 94th?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 07:40 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
West of Alt 19/Seminole Blvd is the best part of Seminole.
Prices higher and closer to the beaches. The area you are talking about has more retail/commercial and less
parkland and quite a bit of it is in flood zone too.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:44 AM

31 posts, read 19,715 times
I nearly bought a place there until I realised it was in floodzone

Old 07-13-2020, 11:24 AM

Most of Seminole is not in a Flood zone, but there are definitely areas around Long Bayou that are.
Most of Seminole west of Starkey and east of Hamlin Blvd between SR688 to the north and Park Blvd to the south is high and dry

Old 07-14-2020, 05:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
All of it is desirable in the sense that it is safe and clean/well kept. All of it is undesirable in the sense that it is profoundly boring and there is nothing going on there.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:16 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Look anywhere in Seminole by Ridge Road (N and S, a 2 way very loong street), I lived in Largo less than 2 blocks from Seminole to the South of us) We were at 2.5 mls from Indian Rocks Beach at 45 Ft Over Sea Level, the highest point in the County that CLOSE to the Gulf.

Great Area to be at, I wish I was there now, but Miami will do for a while longer too.

Starky is not Seminole and really not what you're looking for

Old 07-30-2020, 09:20 AM

285 posts, read 228,837 times
maybe near Walsingham??

Old 07-30-2020, 09:28 AM

Huasho you sound like you were where we just moved away from. Lived their 20 years and survived hurricanes and the like. Many homes are 70s but well built and solid. Worth a shot, but right now they are quite expensive. We sold ours for the highest price ever in our subdivision last month. (happy to say
Definitely worth a look if you have around $400K - you can do for less, depending on how big and how updated you want.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:50 AM

120 posts, read 117,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuppplugg View Post
I was initially looking at St Petersburg however due to the lack of inventory expanding out my search. I've been seeing some properties in Seminole that I like and are in my price range.

It's difficult to pull up info online as Seminol Heights in Tampa seems to popup all the time instead of Seminole, FL

So it appears there's kind of a west and east part of Seminole divided by "Long Bayou". I would assume and the little bit of info I find online seems to say the west part ie to the left of "Long Bayou" is a more desirable area. It also seems like the little peninsula to the Right of Long Bayou by the water is more desirable as well. Those areas seem to show as being best schools and most appreciation. However when I look at the crime maps those areas seem to be darker as if they have more crime, finding that a little confusing?

Can someone give me a better idea of what Seminole is actually like and where to avoid?

Also what can you tell me about the area near Starkley and 94th?

Thanks
“Desirable” is really subjective to what’s acceptable to you. If you’re ok with an unkempt lawn, a home in disrepair, and inconsiderate neighbors, there will be a lot more neighborhoods available to you. If you want higher standards, better neighbors, and a more visually pleasant neighborhood, you’ll have to be more picky. Everyone has a different standard. This also depends on your budget. If you are only looking for homes <$300k, you’re going to have to be more picky than if you’re looking for homes of higher value.

When searching google for info about Seminole, use “-heights” in the search bar. Example, type in “Seminole neighborhoods -heights”. Using the “-“ will exclude anything from your search you don’t want to see. I had to do this a lot when I was looking for a house in Seminole years ago.

As far as Starkey/94th goes, that area can be hit or miss. There are some nice houses back there but there are also some trashy ones. You may be in a nice pocket but you’ll have to see trashy parts every day. Seminole technically extends East of the lake but that’s almost Pinellas Park at that point and you probably don’t want to live there - most of it is trashy.

The best parts of Seminole are West of 113th St. (aka Duhme Rd.) The vast majority of neighborhoods to the east of 113th have gotten trashy and run down. Again, there are some nice pockets but you’ll be surrounded by trashy. I would totally exclude anything between Seminole Blvd and Lake Seminole from your search. The nicest parts of Seminole are bounded by the intercoastal waterway (beach) on the West, 113th St. on the East, Tom Stewart Cswy. on the South, and Walsingham Rd. on the North. Unless you live in a strict HOA neighborhood, you will find undesirable neighbors/homes in any area. For example, I live in one of the most sought-after medium-priced family neighborhoods in Seminole. 95% of the residents take pride in their yards and homes and maintain them. But there are a few homes that look like they are straight out of a Pinellas Park trailer park and they just don’t care. We have no HOA so as long as they are within code, there’s not a lot we can do. These people frustrate me but I can live with 95%. The only way to escape this completely is to live in a strict HOA, which I would never recommend as they tend to be more trouble than they’re worth.

If you need any more detailed insight, please let me know. I grew up in this area and am intimately familiar with the various areas. If you know exactly what type of neighborhood you’re looking for, I can point you in the right direction.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:14 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Wow, looking now at the opening post it seems you were talking about Seminole Heights in Tampa/Hillsboro, and not Seminole, Pinellas.

My take was Pinellas, Seminole,,I worked in Tampa for a Short While right at Seminole Heights, and that was not even the shadow of Seminole West of there across Tampa Bay.

Sorry for the confussion, 2 different Areas and both basically: Yey and Ney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay