U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:11 PM

93 posts, read 394,249 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am a young prof looking to move to florida when I graduate. I travel for my job so I am looking for an area near an airport (no more than 20-30min away), and that is also within 15-20 min from the beach. I love to surf and I imagine that floridas east coast is probaly better for that, but my rent range is $700-750 a month, (roomates are not an option) and I think most of Miami area is going to be out of the question for that price range. So my question is, Can you surf in the gulf coast? I know tampa is on the bay, but how far is it from beaches? Is it mostly older people who live there? Im 22 so I'd also like to be near nightlife,(clubs, bars, shopping ect.). Again my rent range is no more than $700-750. and I need to be no more than 20-30 min from the airport. I am also looking into the Jacksonville area as well because the rents seem cheaper there than obviously Miami, however im concerned about lack of nightlife there. Any help would be awesome, thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 12:18 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,565,358 times
You're not going to find much surfing in the Gulf. If you're looking for cheap rent and surfing, you might look at New Smyrna or Daytona.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:24 PM

Are either of those near an airport? Again I need to be no more than 30 min from an airport. What about the Jacksonville area?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM

19 posts, read 77,352 times
If you go south of St. Pete - say Bradenton or Sarasota you can get some waves... Not like the Eastern side though..... You give up what the Gulf has to offer by going East... such as great sunsets....Clean white soft sand... Cleaner clearer water... warmer (year round no wet suit) water.... But you get smaller - quick break waves with not much face.... Good for basic boogie or body...maybe even long board... but not if your a short boarder.... You can YouTube surfing in Florida and there is some good vids of surfin in the Gulf area but it only really seems good when there is a hurricane :0(.... BTW - Rent in those areas for a one bedroom or studio run you about $600 and up....sarasota.craigslist.org/apa/sarasota-bradenton apts ....Cocoa Beach area has good surf and reasonable rent but your 40 min from Airport in Orlando...Sooooo good luck with that Rachel...Happy surfin to ya from a fellow surfer from S.D Cali.... May the sand between your toes be cool and the sun on your face be warm and the waves always astounding.... Peace.... :0)

Last edited by BeachMack; 04-29-2008 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: ulr bad

Old 04-29-2008, 01:21 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,646,537 times
As much as I like the East Coast for many reasons, surfing isn't one of them. When storms are coming up, you'll get some decent and even downright scary-fun waves with the occasional tube but for the most part the southern end of the east coast is flat, flat, flat. The water is warm and great for swimming and day sailing but just not all that great for a surfer. Up near cape Hatteras in NC, the surf is OK to good. Up on the New England coast the surf can be pretty good but sometimes not. In my opinion the best places in the continental US to surf are Santa Cruz, CA, the Oregon Coastline, and the northern east coast depending on the time of year. The west coast will tend to give you better conditions year 'round. If you care to move out of the Continental US, Hawaii and most of Coastal Australia are heaven for surfers. Ireland, believe it or not, is actually one of the best places to surf but it is rather cool.

If you want warm water then Florida up to about Cape Hatteras in NC is about it. Cape Hatteras is about where the gulf stream takes a right turn and heads to England. North of NC, the water starts getting really cold, really fast. You can surf and still enjoy yourself but it's just not the same. An unfortunate fact about the climate and surf in the lower 48 is that if you want really good surf, you need to head for cold water. Personally I hate cold water and actually quit surfing shortly after moving to CA because I was always freezing my parts off. Ironically, though I grew up surfing on the gulf coast, now that I live very near one of the worlds best places to surf, I don't. I switched to kayak surfing to keep my tootsies warm. Just about any place on the gulf coast has waves big enough to hitch a ride but don't expect to find yourself on the cover of any magazines. Though opinions will vary greatly, I'd go with a longer board than what the average West Coast surfer might use because the smaller waves don't have the velocity to really drive a short board. At 210 lbs., I'm no lightweight so your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,530,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
Are either of those near an airport? Again I need to be no more than 30 min from an airport. What about the Jacksonville area?
Daytone has an airport 10 minutes from the beach. You'll only find big waves on the east coast. the west coast barely gets a ripple unless there's a storm brewing in the gulf.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM

76 posts, read 308,887 times
Traditional surfing is out. You need to try foil-surfing.

-OR-

Notice the waves in both pictures? No?

Old 04-30-2008, 01:07 PM

To Danillefort, having never been to Daytona, is there tons to do there in the lines of restaurants, shopping and bars besides the beach? I love the Venice Beach area of Cali, but unless a miracle occurs and my boss decides to up my salary like 15k more a year, I won't be able to afford anything in Cali. Like I said though, I guess I am looking for a laid back, fun, slightly offbeat area that could be somewhat comparable to Venice Beach.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 AM

440 posts, read 2,284,845 times
Thought you surfers might enjoy a little Emerald Coast surfing video ....

Surf Smooth (broken link)

Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 AM

88 posts, read 331,400 times
daytona sounds about right. (it seems like no one surfs in miami / ft. lauderdale lol) the hardest waves on the east coast come when there is a hurricane in the atlantic. other than that you really wont catch anything (in southeast florida)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or