Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 05:15 PM

17 posts, read 29,343 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I are getting ready to pull the trigger and build in Avalon Park Wesley Chapel. I've done my due diligence and try to research as much as possible about Avex builders and Avalon Park. There is limited information out there. The schools out there seem to be improving. But what worries me is it seems like for the last decade the downtown Avalon Park has been promised and not followed through. I do see some recent articles over the last couple months that financing and permitting has been approved for downtown Avalon Park. Does anyone have any information about this community that might help me and my family make the final decision to build there. It does seem like a great family community that's diverse and eventually will be walkable once stores are built in the community. I just don't want to buy a home and it not build equity because things promised fall through. And of course I want to make sure my child has the best education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 11:33 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
New built homes are not getting as much equity as re-sales. The impact fees are higher than in the past. Cost of building is higher. Good qualified contractors are hard to get and builders are and have to cut their bottom line so we have seen more back to basic for entry level homes, and many builders are now selling larger homes with one AC unit, claiming less cost of maintenance for 2 units. (builders sales talk, JMO)

Many warranties are not for 10 years and some builders only warrant a roof for one year. There goes the "warranty" sales line and for that reason many sales associates at home builders who do not have a real estate license, just don't mention that. Keep in mind they work for the builder, not for you.

During the process of the home being built if you do not have a professional on your side, then make sure you know what to look for as contracts are very strict and written to benefit the builder, not the buyer.

Many final walk throughs exit as they used to be and builders can have you close without the house completely finished and you will get a promise that after closing the remainder will be fixed. Even if that is notarized, than good luck getting it all fixed.

Avalon also has a CDD while Ne River next door which is part of Avalon doesn't have a CDD and has also a tennis court.

The talk about down town has been there for over a decade and was indeed approved. But with more shops dealing with vacancies, I wonder if and when down town will get started. That has nothing to with being negative but being realistic as none of us wanted and expected this pandemic and we are all in this together.

Avalon also has 4- 6 homes that were built around 2010 and are still present, but the housing down turn changed who was building in Avalon and the builder who started there never built more homes. The County sold bonds and now there is the 30 year CDD which is in my opinion pretty high for what you get in Avalon with just a pool and play yard and not much more.

There are nice homes over there but a resale is getting you more house for your money and even a remodeling can get you a better deal. Getting the closing cost paid by the builder is nice of course but you are paying a high price in todays real estate market for a new home. JMO.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
New built homes are not getting as much equity as re-sales. The impact fees are higher than in the past. Cost of building is higher. Good qualified contractors are hard to get and builders are and have to cut their bottom line so we have seen more back to basic for entry level homes, and many builders are now selling larger homes with one AC unit, claiming less cost of maintenance for 2 units. (builders sales talk, JMO)

Many warranties are not for 10 years and some builders only warrant a roof for one year. There goes the "warranty" sales line and for that reason many sales associates at home builders who do not have a real estate license, just don't mention that. Keep in mind they work for the builder, not for you.

During the process of the home being built if you do not have a professional on your side, then make sure you know what to look for as contracts are very strict and written to benefit the builder, not the buyer.

Many final walk throughs exit as they used to be and builders can have you close without the house completely finished and you will get a promise that after closing the remainder will be fixed. Even if that is notarized, than good luck getting it all fixed.

Avalon also has a CDD while Ne River next door which is part of Avalon doesn't have a CDD and has also a tennis court.

The talk about down town has been there for over a decade and was indeed approved. But with more shops dealing with vacancies, I wonder if and when down town will get started. That has nothing to with being negative but being realistic as none of us wanted and expected this pandemic and we are all in this together.

Avalon also has 4- 6 homes that were built around 2010 and are still present, but the housing down turn changed who was building in Avalon and the builder who started there never built more homes. The County sold bonds and now there is the 30 year CDD which is in my opinion pretty high for what you get in Avalon with just a pool and play yard and not much more.

There are nice homes over there but a resale is getting you more house for your money and even a remodeling can get you a better deal. Getting the closing cost paid by the builder is nice of course but you are paying a high price in todays real estate market for a new home. JMO.
Wow. Thank you for that thorough response. I put my deposit down on the lot though now. We plan on being there at least 15 years until our kids graduate so hopefully in that time frame the house builds decent equity. If the downtown is built I'm sure home prices will rise in the community. They are constructing part of the downtown along 54 but the main road into the community doesn't connect yet so it might as well not be part of the community until the road connects. I'm just a little afraid that the appraisal will come back under the sale price of the home so I don't plan on doing many upgrades in the design center. after your response I definitely concluded that I am going to get my own independent inspector for the process of the build. I'm going to be more proactive now with the AC as you are not the first to mention that on new builds. Do you think having a lake or pond view or a woods view lot will help with the equity?
I know this is a stretch because you don't know the contract we signed but what protections do we have say if my wife lost her job and/or our house doesn't sell. I don't see anything along those lines written into the building contract, but it is written into the loan pre-approval obviously. What reasons can we legally back out and get our deposit back?

Old 08-12-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaflusa View Post
Wow. Thank you for that thorough response. I put my deposit down on the lot though now. We plan on being there at least 15 years until our kids graduate so hopefully in that time frame the house builds decent equity. If the downtown is built I'm sure home prices will rise in the community. They are constructing part of the downtown along 54 but the main road into the community doesn't connect yet so it might as well not be part of the community until the road connects. I'm just a little afraid that the appraisal will come back under the sale price of the home so I don't plan on doing many upgrades in the design center. after your response I definitely concluded that I am going to get my own independent inspector for the process of the build. I'm going to be more proactive now with the AC as you are not the first to mention that on new builds. Do you think having a lake or pond view or a woods view lot will help with the equity?
I know this is a stretch because you don't know the contract we signed but what protections do we have say if my wife lost her job and/or our house doesn't sell. I don't see anything along those lines written into the building contract, but it is written into the loan pre-approval obviously. What reasons can we legally back out and get our deposit back?
Well you signed now do that will all be water under the bridge. Having worked with builders I know how they operate when clients back out. Having been there for my clients has saved them money and issues as most people who didn’t have representation lost their escrow when they backed out. Builders have zero loyalty to buyers but often they deal with the same agents who will bring hem clients and they don’t want to lose that, although it saves them money if we aren’t part of the deal of course.

Appraisals on new homes are handled differently as you can find in your fine print. Pre-approvals are also different with builders as you will learn in case you have or want to back out.

Good luck and the road completion will help with equity gains depending on how much you are paying but Wesley Chapel is still growing so that is very good.

In 2007 there was talk about downtown so I’m not holding my breath but at least Avalon was built, approx 5 years after planned so maybe in 2022 we can expect something to happen...we will see.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Well you signed now do that will all be water under the bridge. Having worked with builders I know how they operate when clients back out. Having been there for my clients has saved them money and issues as most people who didn’t have representation lost their escrow when they backed out. Builders have zero loyalty to buyers but often they deal with the same agents who will bring hem clients and they don’t want to lose that, although it saves them money if we aren’t part of the deal of course.

Appraisals on new homes are handled differently as you can find in your fine print. Pre-approvals are also different with builders as you will learn in case you have or want to back out.

Good luck and the road completion will help with equity gains depending on how much you are paying but Wesley Chapel is still growing so that is very good.

In 2007 there was talk about downtown so I’m not holding my breath but at least Avalon was built, approx 5 years after planned so maybe in 2022 we can expect something to happen...we will see.
I am going to hire my own independent inspector. I just really hope that downtown takes off like the Avalon Park in Orlando.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:18 AM

https://mylennarhome.com/water-damag...We8O51nhRZhLDk

Not sure which builder Tampaaflusa is buying from...

Old 09-25-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
https://mylennarhome.com/water-damag...We8O51nhRZhLDk

Not sure which builder Tampaaflusa is buying from...
Wow I scanned through that article and smh. My builder is Avex Homes. I have heard some Lennar horror stories in the past and that's why we steered clear of them when we were looking.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:26 AM

108 posts, read 145,317 times
I sell cabinetry in Tampa and am constantly shocked at the junk builders want to put into new “luxury” homes. Be very careful. Cabinets, flooring etc.... We have at least four clients currently who are actually paying for the builder grade furnishings and then tearing everything out. The builders won’t let them use outside vendors and they are stuck with garbage. It’s horrible. Be VERY careful choosing your builder. Make sure, if you want to use different vendors, that your allowances are realistic and in line with the total project cost.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:03 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaatric View Post
I sell cabinetry in Tampa and am constantly shocked at the junk builders want to put into new “luxury” homes. Be very careful. Cabinets, flooring etc.... We have at least four clients currently who are actually paying for the builder grade furnishings and then tearing everything out. The builders won’t let them use outside vendors and they are stuck with garbage. It’s horrible. Be VERY careful choosing your builder. Make sure, if you want to use different vendors, that your allowances are realistic and in line with the total project cost.
This isn't necessarily a new issue - when I built a spec home with Morrison in the 90s here they wouldn't deviate from the bill of materials short of an act of G-d. We had two things we wanted:

Double pane windows

Formed or molded formica countertops (instead of the butt spliced backsplashes done with a separate piece)

We were more than willing to pay additional money for these amenities. Nope. Wouldn't even discuss it. We tore the counters out the week after we moved in and put in the ones we wanted. Had to live with the windows. We wanted those more for sound deadening than energy savings.

RM

Old 11-17-2020, 10:47 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaflusa View Post
Hello. My family and I are getting ready to pull the trigger and build in Avalon Park Wesley Chapel. I've done my due diligence and try to research as much as possible about Avex builders and Avalon Park. There is limited information out there. The schools out there seem to be improving. But what worries me is it seems like for the last decade the downtown Avalon Park has been promised and not followed through. I do see some recent articles over the last couple months that financing and permitting has been approved for downtown Avalon Park. Does anyone have any information about this community that might help me and my family make the final decision to build there. It does seem like a great family community that's diverse and eventually will be walkable once stores are built in the community. I just don't want to buy a home and it not build equity because things promised fall through. And of course I want to make sure my child has the best education.
The "downtown" will be there as promised but it won't be successful. Originally it was planned when alternative route to SR 54 (Zephyrhills Bypass) was in plans. The road through Avalon was supposed to connect SR 54 to that road. The "downtown" there made perfect sense. However, Zephyrhills Bypass is a no go. Instead, SR 54 was decided to go through reconstruction/ widening.

But... Without the downtown the community is still there - with reasonable prices and not that far from everything so if your mind is set for that community, go ahead at you won't find anything better for these money else where in Wesley Chapel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay