U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 11:07 PM

59 posts, read 103,725 times

Advertisements

Asking for a friend who will be working near the coast guard in St. Petersburg. However, she does not want to live there and prefers to live in the Tampa area, near USF, since she has a child of college age (next year).

She wants to buy a single family home $300k - 400K but does not want to commute beyond 30 minutes (if possible).

I know nothing of the area, therefore I defer to the experts here for advise.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 05:29 AM

18,595 posts, read 12,207,150 times
USF area all the way to that part of St pete would be a nitemare drive blare. One wreck beck would mean a 2+ hour drive. Avg drive even at nite dwight would be 1 hour+. She would have to live right on the Tampa side of Gandy randy to even get close to a 30 min drive.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:45 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,404 posts, read 4,646,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinejoe View Post
Asking for a friend who will be working near the coast guard in St. Petersburg. However, she does not want to live there and prefers to live in the Tampa area, near USF, since she has a child of college age (next year).

She wants to buy a single family home $300k - 400K but does not want to commute beyond 30 minutes (if possible).

Thanks!
No such thing. A 30 minute commute would keep her in Pinellas. And she needs to qualify "near USF", because there aren't any decent areas except maybe Temple Terrace near USF.

RM

Old 08-18-2020, 09:44 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,700,257 times
Might be better for sanity to be closer to work than where grown up child may be in college? 2 hr drive is exaggerated but depends on commute times. I can get from my house by coast guard station to Tampa international in 25 mins most days. Its only when heavy build up of traffic or accident it can be slower. Of course USF campus is a bit farther than TPA but its certainly within one hour. If a person lived close to bridge on Pinellas side, it would make for easy commute for both attending USF and getting to work. Just a thought.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the replies. Is a budget of 300k - 400k for a single family home realistic in that area?
She mentioned that she would be going to work around 6AM and going back 'home' around 3PM. Will the traffic be lighter at those times?

Would you suggest she looks elsewhere instead? she wants her kid (a HS senior) to be closer to college to save on the rent and focus on studying.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Is a budget of 300k - 400k for a single family home realistic in that area?
She mentioned that she would be going to work around 6AM and going back 'home' around 3PM. Will the traffic be lighter at those times?

Would you suggest she looks elsewhere instead? she wants her kid (a HS senior) to be closer to college to save on the rent and focus on studying.
Yes and yes.

Outside of normal commute times traffic will be significantly lighter in both directions.

They could easily live on the west side of Hillsborough County (Westchase or someplace in that area) and be a reasonable distance and time to Pinellas. Being able to commute at non-standard times will be a big help.

There is nowhere in the immediate proximity of the USF campus other than maybe Temple Terrace that's safe and decent. TT is a very nice but somewhat dated area, and their budget would certainly accommodate it. However, being more to the west side of the county would make the commute shorter and probably wouldn't have a significant effect on the drive to USF.

RM

Old 08-18-2020, 05:01 PM

213 posts, read 150,789 times
Quote:

Thanks!
USF area to downtown St. Pete would probably be the absolute worst-case commute you could possibly have in the entire bay area, and she'd be lucky if it's 30 minutes on a Sunday morning. Most commuters generally should avoid each of these, and she would have almost no choice but traverse at least 2 of the 3 (if not all 3) every single day, both in the morning, and then again in the afternoon:

-Through the I275-I4 interchange

-Through the I275 Westshore interchange

-Across one or more of the bay bridges

For her sanity, it would probably be better if the student gets their own housing on or near the campus while she lives on the St. Pete side. Otherwise...find another job closer to USF.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Yes and yes.

Outside of normal commute times traffic will be significantly lighter in both directions.

They could easily live on the west side of Hillsborough County (Westchase or someplace in that area) and be a reasonable distance and time to Pinellas. Being able to commute at non-standard times will be a big help.

There is nowhere in the immediate proximity of the USF campus other than maybe Temple Terrace that's safe and decent. TT is a very nice but somewhat dated area, and their budget would certainly accommodate it. However, being more to the west side of the county would make the commute shorter and probably wouldn't have a significant effect on the drive to USF.

RM
Thanks for the area suggestion. Westchase looks relatively close.

She wants to purchase a new-construction single family home. Is that budget still realistic for Westchase? Personally, I would rent for a bit but to each its own. I see that Riverview has lots of developing going on but it looked a bit far for me to suggest that.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the area suggestion. Westchase looks relatively close.

She wants to purchase a new-construction single family home. Is that budget still realistic for Westchase? Personally, I would rent for a bit but to each its own. I see that Riverview has lots of developing going on but it looked a bit far for me to suggest that.
Lots and lots of new construction in the Riverview area, but the infrastructure has not kept up and won't for a long time, so I would avoid it. Not to mention it would be easily an hour commute to St. Pete under some circumstances.

There is a lot of new construction going on in the western and northern parts of the county near Lutz and Trinity that would be a better choice than Riverview. No new construction in the Westchase area that I know of, but I'm not well versed in that area so I could very well be wrong.

RM

Old 08-20-2020, 10:54 AM

5,432 posts, read 4,770,009 times
Nope. Live in one county and work in the other is hard. They will have to decide which is better, kid living at home for college (sad for the kid but keeps expenses down) and having a long commute or letting the kid go and spend on housing but living close to work.

There are only 3 bridges that connect the two counties, and two of them are inadequate. I would think long and hard about that drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay