Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:58 AM

27 posts, read 112,550 times

Advertisements

PROS --Weather sunny 300 days a year, temps over 70 degrees in most areas 300 days a year= which is rare in 48 states
Beautiful Beaches, Parks, Trees and Waterways, most downtowns spectacular,= less depressing than say like in west virginia, ny ohio and pa coal areas where it looks like Baghdad
jobs lots of jobs in sales related fields if you have that gift of selling in your life= lots of areas have no jobs
Fishing, Hiking, Snorkling, camping, hunting even up north Tally area.
Tons of amusement parksDisney, epcot, sea world, Busch Gardens, Cypress Gardens, various water parks.
Everglades is so unique nature it is very beautiful there with the rides they have through the glades.
Lake O area is very unique and a great fishing very popular fishing area.
Macro school districts and county control= no small town politics in big city areas- (johnny football plays because dads a coach)
CONS- Property taxes very high
Wages very low average 8-12 in most areas
Rents on the rise= that is almost everywhere in the usa now
Hurricanes and insurance
Traffic in any growing area is high and no different here in most
Crime and drugs= but thats in every usa community a nymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 08:04 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
I disagree with your opinion. I consider California better. No hurricanes, less crime, better weather(hate the Florida heat) California has everything that Florida does with less cons. Only problem is Florida lacks affordable housing and youd need to be really rich to afford California!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 AM

27 posts, read 112,550 times
less crime maybe you are on something hahahahah

Old 12-28-2006, 12:15 PM

111 posts, read 598,736 times
We have the season pass to Busch Gardens and I have been there probably 10 times with my wife and 2 kids...no thanks! The long walks, the tons of people everywhere. Maybe one or two visits in a lifetime is all I'll ever need for any Florida attraction!

Old 12-28-2006, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 24,737 times
Default Florida Blows

I was born here. You can't hardly see the beaches because of the half empty condos towering alongside the roads. Minimal parking for access. In the summer you can hardly stay outside for 20 minutes without burning or sweating to death. Sunblock? Hang the bottle around your neck because your gonna need it every 20 minutes and be sure to use the strongest you can find. Some of the deadliest roads because everyone here thinks they can drive better. Something comes over people when they find long flat staight roads. No one knows how to drive here because they're from somewhere else. Aligator Alley, Hwy 19, Turnpike, Hwy 50, 301, and lets not forget I-4,75 & 95. I've been to most of the popular beaches in this state and unless you live within walking distance of the beach then you need to have a pool, that is if you can afford the insurance that's gonna go up 200% in the next 2 yrs & the over inflated property taxes not to mention the sinkholes in Pasco and the extra insurance you have to pay for that. I take it you don't have any children either, dude. Florida is great if your single or live with mommy and daddy, or have an exceptionally great paying job. For the rest, it's a slap of reality. See you in the skin cancer ward.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 15,566 times
Yes we have nice weather, but you will work all year just to pay the taxes, and the house insurance, it is more expenesive to live in fl. than california.I have lived here for 6yrs and need to get out , just check the florcloser rate in fl. one of the highest, and the taxes is still going up.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:00 PM

101 posts, read 315,121 times
Skin cancer ward.. you are so right. Highest rate of any state in the USA. Fun in the sun... well.. just isn't that.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:20 PM

101 posts, read 315,121 times
Also, as far as clearwaterlargodude saying Florida is 'the best'. I don't think you can say that with all of the hurricane victims that have lost there homes and businesses. I have family who went through that and it was terrible.

If you still have your home and business; you still have the worry of next year.

Temps over 70 degrees 300 days a year (some like 4 seasons and a coolish day to wear a sweater sometimes) but no other state has the chances and statistics to loose everything. When your watching the Weather Channel nervously awaiting where the latest hurricane is headed? Will you be without a roof over your head within days? No one state has that like Florida.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:23 PM

91 posts, read 151,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I disagree with your opinion. I consider California better. No hurricanes, less crime, better weather(hate the Florida heat) California has everything that Florida does with less cons. Only problem is Florida lacks affordable housing and youd need to be really rich to afford California!
psssst.... california has earthquakes, which are a thousand times worse than the absolute worst hurricane you can possibly imagine! earthquakes always strike with ABSOLUTELY NO WARNING, WHATSOEVER, nobody ever knows how strong it will be or even the region it will strike! and worse, while hurricanes usually only bring down wood frame/manufactured structures and structures too close to the ocean, earthquakes are capable of even bringing down steel frame skyscrapers!!! (surely you have heard/seen what happened when an earthquake struck mexico city in 1985, kobe (japan) in 1995, and in san francisco in 1906.) also, south california, especially los angeles, has more crime than all of miami-dade, west palm beach, and orlando put together!

Last edited by lonelychicagoan; 12-28-2006 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-29-2006, 07:32 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterlargodude View Post
less crime maybe you are on something hahahahah

With the exception of LA, CA has less crime than most Florida cities. Check city-data crime index.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemandc View Post
Yes we have nice weather, but you will work all year just to pay the taxes, and the house insurance, it is more expenesive to live in fl. than california.I have lived here for 6yrs and need to get out , just check the florcloser rate in fl. one of the highest, and the taxes is still going up.

Yes and no. You get alot more house in FL for the same price. But yes taxes and insurance does cost more. House prices are falling in Florida cause only the rich can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsjoe View Post
Skin cancer ward.. you are so right. Highest rate of any state in the USA. Fun in the sun... well.. just isn't that.

Yea too much sun is a bad thing. Oil city is cloudy most of the time and im fine with keeping my skin safe. I burn easily and cant be out in the sun long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelychicagoan View Post
psssst.... california has earthquakes, which are a thousand times worse than the absolute worst hurricane you can possibly imagine! earthquakes always strike with ABSOLUTELY NO WARNING, WHATSOEVER, nobody ever knows how strong it will be or even the region it will strike! and worse, while hurricanes usually only bring down wood frame/manufactured structures and structures too close to the ocean, earthquakes are capable of even bringing down steel frame skyscrapers!!! (surely you have heard/seen what happened when an earthquake struck mexico city in 1985, kobe (japan) in 1995, and in san francisco in 1906.) also, south california, especially los angeles, has more crime than all of miami-dade, west palm beach, and orlando put together!

Major earthquakes are a once in a century deal. 1906 is over 100 years ago! We get hurricanes almost every year! I think many people worry needlessly about earthquakes that most likley will never happen in their lifetime. LA has bad crime, I wouldnt live there but northern CA is fairly low crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay