Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 AM

27 posts, read 112,605 times

Advertisements

yes boston and nyc have good culture but if you think the weather, traffic and taxes are bad in tampa go right ahead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 11:39 AM

101 posts, read 315,232 times
I didn't say anything about Tampa in particular. My point was aimed at your obsessive, no-where else, 80 degrees if for everyone attitude.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:42 AM

27 posts, read 112,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamutz View Post
I miss the Black snow myself...lol. Do me a favor, if you go back home any time soon, let me know so I can have you pick me up a case of Farmer's Iced Tea and a few Senape's Pitza's! My only complaint about Florida....too many chain restaurants, not enough good food.

People who haven't lived through 9 months of fog, drizzle, and cold just don't understand how great it is for the weather to be gorgeous 95% of the time.

Hurricane Schmurricane.
ya that true the pizza is not as good down here as it is in nepa and nyc thats for sure,,but you could always get senapes sent to you

Old 12-29-2006, 03:56 PM

168 posts, read 763,056 times
it's all what you get used to. i grew up there. my family moved in 1951 from north carolina to miami when i was three years old. my aunt moved to miami during WW2 and after the war, kept encouraging my dad to move away from snow. her husband, my uncle, was a cuban of spanish heritage and he moved to miami when he was 13 years old - about 1926, i think, just in time for the hurricane.

we had no air conditioning in our small three bedroom house in hialeah until the early 1960s and never much knew the difference. the wisest investment my dad ever made in the early 50s was expensive hurricane awnings - much more expensive than anyone else's in the neighborhood. my dad could barely afford them - he was a blue collar worker - but we used them on that house until it was sold in the mid-80s.

i recall a childhood of running barefoot in shorts nearly year round - and being free to not worry about running through the neighbors yards or being gone until dusk playing with the group of kids in my neighborhood.

when my best friend moved to key biscayne in the late 50s, visits to her were heaven on earth. unbelieveable heaven on earth in retrospect. we walked everywhere on that island and no one bothered us. you could see parrot fish swimming in the waters of the bay near her house, and see the city of miami beyond that.

i stayed many a weekend with my aunt and uncle on motel row on miami beach as a pre-teen and teenager, enjoying what the tourists enjoyed.

as an adult in my mid-30s or thereabouts i moved to gainesville and lived there a very long time. but it was only in gainesville (though i liked living there) that i came to know the meaning of "oppressive can't breathe heat and humidity." no sea breeze. i could tell the difference. but i still preferred the heat to the cold - and gville will get cold in the winter (not like i have now in the pacific northwest, but cold nevertheless).

so it's all what you get used to. i'm hoping to move back to florida soon. it's my home. some may not like it but i miss it like a son of a b*tch. and to those who don't like it, i used to say that I-75 also heads north out of the state too, same as the airlines.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:14 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterlargodude View Post
I grew up in northeastern pa near hazleton, the area recently on the news mostly lou dobbs cnn, about the rising illegal immigrant crime. if florida is so bad why is it when you go to a supermarket or a walmart here all i see all out of state plates. You must be in the minority. Move to northeastern pa where the scenery is dirt black coal banks , garbage filled parks , and the area is filled with cancer causing polluted cogeneration plants, This area is governed by micro governments as well which makes anything getting done at the local level impossible. Weather wise we get tons of snow and ice in the winter,where your stuck in your house for weeks and where driving in the snow is a lot worse than our traffic here you think us 19 is bad in pinellas travel i81 when it snows in pennsylvania. also 70 percent of the year is depressing cloudy days. Taxes are just as high as florida and there is income tax. Crime is bad everywhere small towns in pennsylvania are not immune medium sized citys like reading, Scranton, wilkes barre and hazleton are alot worse with crime than say areas of the same size in fla such as ocala, Melbourne, daytona and bradenton so you should be grateful you are in fla move out if ya dont like it. Ill buy you a ticket to Scranton and have you there for the winter and see how you like it .
We have no clue? LMAO what a joke! ALOT of "floridians" are from the north! Dude... I was born and raised in Western PA and I can tell you I know EXACTLY what it's like living up there and I won't talk crap about PA because it's a great place in spite of the weather and taxes and the beautiful snow that's sooooooooo much fun to play in. YOU are the negative one. I love PA. You like it here. Ok FINE! Don't get your undies in a bunch just because others have likes unlike your own. I don't like it here... so friking what?? You love it... great. We all have different things that suit us. Lighten up.

Last edited by summergal; 12-29-2006 at 07:26 PM..

Old 12-29-2006, 07:19 PM

Clearwaterdude-

Why don't you go do something else with your time ?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterlargodude View Post
december 29th 80 degrees in clearwater without a cloud in the sky
true, however what about the Christmas day storms, that now have people without a place to live. It was real near to me, 5 miles away. Yes Florida does have nice warm weather, but!

Old 12-30-2006, 10:39 AM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsinlife View Post
I live in Northeast Philly and I cannot wait to get out of this hellhole. Since when is PA a great place? It is a polluted wasteland with high rent and bad weather. Im moving to Tampa soon cant wait!
Same can be said for Tampa... enjoy!

Old 12-30-2006, 11:38 AM

"ask a unemployed ford auto worker in suburban detroit who is homeless now if he likes it there haha"

Do you think it is funny when people are homeless? Wow. Do you have ANY sympathy for the THOUSANDS in Florida who lost there homes INSTANTLY? And some didn't get ANYTHING from the insurance company?

You sound extremely defensive, self-involved and heartless.

Hope you are ready for a hurricane. What would you have to say then if you were then someone like a Katrina victim, Charley victim, Wilma ect.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:57 PM

7 posts, read 34,147 times
Talking I Moved Here From Atlanta And Love It!!!!!

I love the weather even HOT (great excuse to go to the beach) and the Hurricanes are no bother, heck Florida has endured many a Hurricane just like other parts of the country have endured Floods, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Fires, etc. I could not be happier with the lovely people, beautiful views, wildlife, no state income tax, no cold weather- it is the best!! I even opened by business here I sell homes for less than 1% full service Realtor and I can tell you there are still many people moving here. Can't be too bad. I would say if someone does not like where they live they should move somewhere else like I moved from a place I no longer enjoyed. Wanted to move here from childhood and finally made the move- Paradise!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay