Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 09:59 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I live in Riverview. The commute will kill you. Be aware that there are times the Skyway bridge closes (high winds, poor visibility) so you would have to drive the long way around.

I reiterate - if you work in Pinellas county you should live in Pinellas county. The only way from Hillsborough to Pinellas is across one of three bridges. Two of those bridges are 2 lanes in or out - they get very backed up. And the Skyway (which is one of the 2 lane bridges) is a toll road, too.

The Skyway isn't one of the three bridges. And none of the three have tolls. The Selmon Expressway (which feeds in to the Gandy Bridge) is toll. Riverview to St Pete via the Skyway is definitely the long way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 06:57 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,071,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post

The Skyway isn't one of the three bridges. And none of the three have tolls. The Selmon Expressway (which feeds in to the Gandy Bridge) is toll. Riverview to St Pete via the Skyway is definitely the long way around.
I didn't count US 60 because it goes to clearwater, not St Pete.

The skyway is a toll road.

I've found at certain times of the day to go from riverview to downtown st Pete is faster, if longer, going over the skyway. The bottleneck where I4 merges into I275 or getting off the Selman and crawling along the Gandy can be killer. I think the Gandy will be better once the Selman directly connects.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I didn't count US 60 because it goes to clearwater, not St Pete.

The skyway is a toll road.

I've found at certain times of the day to go from riverview to downtown st Pete is faster, if longer, going over the skyway. The bottleneck where I4 merges into I275 or getting off the Selman and crawling along the Gandy can be killer. I think the Gandy will be better once the Selman directly connects.
I gotcha. You may have meant "St Pete" but you said "The only way from Hillsborough to Pinellas" so that's what I was responding to. Technically the Skyway goes between Pinellas and Manatee.

Im surprised that the Skyway is faster. Well, not very surprised, but a little bit.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:26 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,071,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I gotcha. You may have meant "St Pete" but you said "The only way from Hillsborough to Pinellas" so that's what I was responding to. Technically the Skyway goes between Pinellas and Manatee.

Im surprised that the Skyway is faster. Well, not very surprised, but a little bit.
Yeah, I said it wrong but I knew what I meant.

For a short while we had our new place in riverview and our old place in st Pete at the same time. During the time we were moving stuff over, our dog had had to have surgery. As we wanted to continue her vet visits with her usual vet, we traveled back and forth at all times of the day, either hauling stuff or doing vet visits. Going north from riverview to get to st Pete in the mornings was hellish. We live off big bend road and that entrance to i75 is the worst. (It is going to be redone, but that's a 5 year construction project that'll mean it'll be even worse for 5 years!). The selmon gets backed up at the i4 off ramp, even if you're going through. And then the Gandy is its own issues. We started going south in the mornings and it was just faster, so long as the skyway was open.

Thankfully we didn't have to do that for very long. Our old place sold and the dog got better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay