Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 14,215 times

Advertisements

Hi I was hoping someone who lives in Wesley Chapel could tell me how they like it there. I'm from East Yaphank, New York (Long Island). I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and me and my husband were thinking about moving. We were in wesley chapel this past August and loved it! I don't want to make a mistake in moving to the wrong place. We looked at the communities of plam cove, seven oaks, and meadow pointe. Love to hear from you. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 05:31 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
Default Meadow Pointe

If you consider this area we have all the schools in the communities and you have three club houses to use, all with pools.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 AM

42 posts, read 122,658 times
A woman I work with lives in Wesley Chapel. She likes it there, but realizes she paid a bit more for her home than she could have paid in other similar nice areas. But she likes it there.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:04 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Hello, fellow long islander here, but have been in tampa since 87. where will you and/or your husband be working? Wesley Chapel is nice, everything new, gated communities. Do you need to be near the city? Are you ok with Strip Malls and Chain restaurants..there is ALOT of growth in this area, my brother and his wife just moved there in September...they are around 30yo, and ready to have there first child, and dislike the area due to no town center(main street), commutes to Tampa are HORRIBLE, traffic is HORRIBLE. It is getting better(bigger better roads are being built, shopping areas are being planned), but most of the infrastructure for all the people is not catching up fast enough..just my opinion.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:33 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I currently live a few miles north of Wesley Chapel - it is turning into one big sprawl with a lot of chain stores and restaurants, no cohesiveness at all. And development after development is popping up. Traffic is already HORRENDOUS, and just wait a few more years when more of these developments get put up. As I said, we live a few miles north of WC, and it takes my hubby one hour and fifteen minutes to get to work in downtown Tampa (a distance of 35 miles). Ugh!

Old 01-04-2007, 03:47 PM

6 posts, read 30,203 times
I live in New Tampa close to Wesley Chapel. I have friends in Seven Oaks that love it. Lots of ammenities. There is a lot of growth in the area as you probably saw. Where would you be working?

Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 PM

I all depends on what you want and what you can afford.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:56 PM

53 posts, read 259,520 times
Default Wesley Chapel

Hi, we recently moved back to New Tampa and literally live across the road from from Wesley Chapel. My husband has his mortgage office in Wesley Chapel. I am a criminological researcher and my husband is a mortgage manager for Pasco co for Suntrust, so I will tell you what he would say and my personal view.

He would tell you to stay west of hwy 19. Pasco may have lower property taxes (19 mils per $1000, 80-90% of the assessed value); however, they have the highest insurance rates due to nearly 400 sinkhole clains in 2005. Now, mind you, they could not be verified as being sinkholes, but they were claims, so you need to stay as close to the Hillsborough county line as possible (west of hwy 19) to keep that rate lower. Avoid Holiday or Spring Hill as they are being hit with the highest premiums.

Now, I would say that New Tampa is a better bet. The crime rate is lower than in Wesley Chapel and the schools are better (statistically speaking). I would get as close to the county line as possible or in Tampa Palms so that you are near the interstates, which makes travel that much easier. Yes, traffic sucks, but everything is in New Tampa, so you go with it.

Now, I have been hearing a lot of negativity regarding property taxes, insurance, etc. I think people in general do not realize how much stuff is in other places. Property taxes are virtually the same here as they were in Arkansas (higher only with high end homes); the difference here is that you may choose to live in a CDD community, which will add around $1500 to your tax bill. Also, sales tax is much lower here than AR (7% vs 8-10.5%), and we do not have grocery tax, personal tax, or state income tax. The big kicker is that to live in Little Rock, you will be paying pretty much the same if you want to live in a nice, safe neighborhood in the best areas, yet you do not get the pool, etc.

Now for insurance: you can find good deals if you are in Hillsborough or west of 19 and close to New Tampa in Pasco. You have to shop around. My husband always shops around for his clients. Our last house was $360,000, 3600 sq ft new home and our insurance was only $1200. The house we live in now is a custom house twice the amount of our last house, and our ins is only $2400. That is about $400 per $100,000, which is pretty good. You have to shop around.

I know this long, but who else is going to be straight up and not feed you all the negative bs? We lived in Arkansas for 28 years, and have lived here for 3. Our families live back in AR, and yet, we will stay because it is a different life here in Florida and we would not trade it for a thing (well maybe if Maui got cheaper)
kristi

Old 01-05-2007, 12:20 AM

53 posts, read 259,520 times
Default Private Communities

One more thing. Palm Cove is nice but they recently had several car break-ins. Seven Oaks is really nice, but I would suggest a neighborhood in Seven Oaks that is gated private. In Florida, communities will say they are gated, but will not be private, which means that future parkways may eventually come through your neighborhood. You need to make sure that the community owns the roads.

Private Communities in New Tampa (NT) 33647/ Wesley Chapel (WC):
GRAND HAMPTON (NT: COUNTY LINE RD, 3 MILES FROM SEVEN OAKS, ALL PRIVATE )** we live in Grand Hampton.
ARBOR GREEN (NT: CROSS CREEK, CURRENTLY BEING WIDENED)
SEVEN OAKS (WC: SELECT NEIGHBORHOODS ARE PRIVATE, RETAIL COMING)
CORY LAKE ISLES (NT: CROSS CREEK, HIGH END)
HUNTERS GREEN (NT: BBD, SELECT NEIGHBORHOODS ARE PRIVATE)
TAMPA PALMS (NT: AMBERLY, SELECT NEIGHBORHOODS ARE PRIVATE)
MEADOW POINTE (WC: SELECT NEIGHBORHOODS ARE PRIVATE)

http://www.hcpafl.org/www/index.shtml (broken link)
http://www.floridamoves.com/
www.grandhampton.com
www.crown-sevenoaks.com
www.tampa-palmscc.com
www.huntersgreen.com/main.cfm (broken link)
http://www.mpcommunity.com/

Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 PM

You know, everytime you have a lot of homes and businesses, you have crime. Some people just don't like working or have a habit to support and they'll go where the money and things are. Meadow Pointe and Seven Oaks areas are growing, their close to I-75 & I-275. There's a lot of traffic, but that's everywhere there are people and where people want to live. Yes, and finally we are getting our own stand alone Starbucks, with a drive-in window. What more can you ask for. Now I don't have to go to New Tampa for a latte. Life is good!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay