Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 02:46 PM

39 posts, read 108,593 times

Advertisements

I have posted before regarding Lakeland Fl. I hope this is the correct forum to post about Riverview since it is a suburb of Tampa. Finally I am retiring and hoping to move by my best friend in the Riverview FL area. I am African American and my family including my 9 year old granddaughter will come as well at some point. I'm still a little scared to move to Florida but with racial division so bad in the world I am not sure any state is a good bet to relocate to. My biggest fear is buying a house by people that will not want me there because of my skin color... My best friend is white and not sure she really understands the fear.
Good place to go? Accepting? Other places close to Riverview? Tampa better?
I know Florida is a really red state which is concerning to me as well. I'm pretty resilient so I can rise above most of the political fray.
At some point I may get a part time job. I'm a Social Worker and Florida doesn't have reciprocity with other states so not sure I want to jump through hoops to stay in my profession.

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 03:28 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
While Hillsborough county tents to vote 'blue' there's a lot of 'red' here as well. You'll surely run across racists here.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:41 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
I wish I could tell you that things will be fine. I have a neighbor in my 55+ community who's black, she's lived here from the start even before it was 55+ and she's certainly a minority here and this is a red county (Manatee). I also have a friend who rents up in Sun City Center and seems to be fine. But I'm not in their shoes. Tampa area is certainly more integrated.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:56 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
You'll be fine in Riverview. You're overreacting, for sure.

Yes, there are racist people here, but it's unlikely you'll ever encounter one knowingly. You're probably more likely to encounter one in Iowa than you are in Riverview.

RM

Old 04-08-2021, 04:00 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
You don’t have anything to worry about. Tampa/Riverview don’t have those types of issues.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:31 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
There may be people who are disturbed by you and your granddaughter, but one of my neighbors got concerned that so many people are moving into my subdivision with children. He doesn't like all the commotion they cause. People are sometimes strange.

The point is that you shouldn't focus on the artificial identifications of red or blue state when looking for problems. All states have a mix of people. No one is unidimensional. I don't think you should have any extraordinary problems in the Tampa Bay area.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:37 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
You don’t have anything to worry about. Tampa/Riverview don’t have those types of issues.
One of my neighbors was looking to buy in this new subdivision. They are black. They looked at one of the already built houses and put in an offer, which was accepted. Next time they went to look at the house, the neighbor behind them had erected a new flagpole and had a large confederate flag on it, in the back yard, just feet from the property line.

Don't think it doesn't happen here. It does.

Thankfully, when they went to the builder and said they were uncomfortable buying with this new information, the builder was appalled and allowed them to switch properties without any issue.

The property that put up the horrible flag was adjacent to the new subdivision so there was nothing the builder could do.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:48 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Florida doesn't have an exclusive on idiots.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:36 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxer View Post
I have posted before regarding Lakeland Fl. I hope this is the correct forum to post about Riverview since it is a suburb of Tampa. Finally I am retiring and hoping to move by my best friend in the Riverview FL area. I am African American and my family including my 9 year old granddaughter will come as well at some point. I'm still a little scared to move to Florida but with racial division so bad in the world I am not sure any state is a good bet to relocate to. My biggest fear is buying a house by people that will not want me there because of my skin color... My best friend is white and not sure she really understands the fear.
Good place to go? Accepting? Other places close to Riverview? Tampa better?
I know Florida is a really red state which is concerning to me as well. I'm pretty resilient so I can rise above most of the political fray.
At some point I may get a part time job. I'm a Social Worker and Florida doesn't have reciprocity with other states so not sure I want to jump through hoops to stay in my profession.

Thanks for any insight!
Your location is Iowa and you are worried about racial issues in Florida? I could only imagine sticking out so much in Iowa. Does it work where this demographic is so small they don't see racism? Riverview has a good size of middle class African Americans. You will be fine. My mom moved to Apollo Beach recently and Im surprised by the diversity. I live in the city limits and the reserve is occurring in demographics.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:55 PM

207 posts, read 422,155 times
I agree with the others in that you're more likely to experience overt racism in Iowa than here. You don't specify where in IA, but I checked census.gov demographic data for Riverview and the entire state of IA and here's what it came back with:

Black or African American alone, percent Riverview = 17.9% Iowa= 4.1%

Obviously Riverview is much smaller population-wise than the entire state of IA but you get the point.

As for job transfer, you would have the ability to apply by endorsement according to https://floridasmentalhealthprofessi...another-state/.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay