U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:38 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,900,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I would've planted something drought resistant but I didn't plant this lawn ...it came w/ the house I'm kinda wishing we had bahia(sp) even though I get made at it for going dormant ...but its always alive ...but I don't have it.
I have noticed my dog prefers bahia grass over st augustine.
I had the same problem with my last house.
It seemed everything the original owners planeted need extreme watering.
It helped me out a little when building the new house with knowing what to plant.

The poster I was responding to seemed to have a problem with the county ensuring that new plantings were drought resistant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,788,834 times
I don't have grass as we don't have water here. It's all trees and mulch. At my parent's home I installed an automatic sprinkler system to keep the garden abd lawn alive. The grass is zoysia/St. Augustine mix. It looks fantastic and is the only green yard in the whole area.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:38 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,803,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I had the same problem with my last house.
It seemed everything the original owners planeted need extreme watering.
It helped me out a little when building the new house with knowing what to plant.

The poster I was responding to seemed to have a problem with the county ensuring that new plantings were drought resistant.
I know what you mean! The hedges aren't even drought resistant ....bleh! not to mention the grass. I can hand water hedges but my pooor poor lawn needs a rain dance.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,900,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I know what you mean! The hedges aren't even drought resistant ....bleh! not to mention the grass. I can hand water hedges but my pooor poor lawn needs a rain dance.
I just checked the records this afternoon and we have had a total of .15 inches of rain in the last 42 days. Less than a quarter inch in almost a month and a half.

The only thing I really worry about is the wildfires. We had about 1000 acres on fire a couple of weeks back less than 2 miles away.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:31 AM

26,871 posts, read 42,241,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I just checked the records this afternoon and we have had a total of .15 inches of rain in the last 42 days. Less than a quarter inch in almost a month and a half.

The only thing I really worry about is the wildfires. We had about 1000 acres on fire a couple of weeks back less than 2 miles away.
That is really scary and than to see the car in front of us throwing a sigarette which was still burning on the grass next to the traffic light........

Old 05-18-2008, 11:18 AM

656 posts, read 1,181,075 times
Several things:

A good deep well.

At least once a year sprinkle some aged manure down. It's easy for us, we have horses, so we keep it in a bin until the bite wears off, 3 months or so. Otherwise you no longer actually have soil. Never use fresh, it will burn everything up.

Sprinkle a light shot of dolomite over the whole yard once or twice a year.

Control ants and such with soapy water. They will leave, but it won't bother the earthworms and microbes.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:59 AM

husband sent me this from work.
does anyone know i it works on all types of grass?
Found it interesting
Secret lawn tonic recipe from golf course groundskeeper | Wise Bread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 AM

WOOO WOO I Got 5 minutes of rain today!!!!! =) very happy! It was a down pour!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 AM

26,871 posts, read 42,241,252 times
The official site for ScottsMiracle-Gro products* :* The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company :

On this website you can find some answers to the issues menetioned by some.

This is the first time i looked on this website but I use the Turf builder with 2% iron which makes my yard green. The fertilizer I use is from another brand.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:00 PM

48 posts, read 107,384 times
A sprinkler system is a must with the St. Augustine types. I used to do the fertilizer, bug control, weed control myself. Went to a lawn maint. service every other month. To a previous post, yes the chinch bugs and white grubs eat the roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay