U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 PM

346 posts, read 1,251,095 times

Advertisements

I mow the lawn at a height no shorter than 3 inches. I use that new Scotts fertilizer that holds moisture in. Forgot the exact name of the Scotts product. I had a well dug for my lawn and water twice a week on the watering days, but I water at longer period of time like 35 minutes per zone to help grow the roots deeper for my grass. It has been working out great so far. Make sure you cut it at a regular interval and not too short or you'll shock the heck out of the grass and kill them. St. Augustine is the worst grass I could have chosen for my yard. I should have chosen the Empire Zoysia at a higher cost, but more drought resistant and much nicer than St. Augustine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 PM

104 posts, read 343,198 times
2 quick ideas on keeping your grass green. I switched over to Empire Zoyzia grass which requires less water and is more drought tolerant. it also seems to require less chemical gets less bugs.

Another thing that I have recently started doing is adding some of the natural kitty litter to the yard. It is made of clay and holds water better than our usual sandy soil. If you have cats cyou can clean the box and recyle the cat litter. I usually only put this out in the areas that are the most dry.

Hope this helps

Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampasteve View Post
2 quick ideas on keeping your grass green. I switched over to Empire Zoyzia grass which requires less water and is more drought tolerant. it also seems to require less chemical gets less bugs.

Another thing that I have recently started doing is adding some of the natural kitty litter to the yard. It is made of clay and holds water better than our usual sandy soil. If you have cats cyou can clean the box and recyle the cat litter. I usually only put this out in the areas that are the most dry.

Hope this helps
Hey, that's a great idea with the kitty litter. I like that idea a lot. Thanks for the info. I have one area in my front lawn that might need that treatment.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:39 AM

81 posts, read 287,014 times
I use service from four seasons lawn guys..I tried earlier myself but grass was turning yellowish so got worried and started their service. They come every 6 weeks..I am pretty happy with my lawn right now..both front and backyards are completely green . I have St. Augustine. I have sprinkler system installed and it also helps that since my community has reclaimed water I water it twice in a week

There was one scary time when my neighbor's lawn turned golden brown - completely! and he wasn't doing anything about it. Some patches in my backyard also started to dry up so I would water it every day evening in those patches with the hose. It's back to normal now.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 AM

26,863 posts, read 42,085,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sncoupons View Post
I use service from four seasons lawn guys..I tried earlier myself but grass was turning yellowish so got worried and started their service. They come every 6 weeks..I am pretty happy with my lawn right now..both front and backyards are completely green . I have St. Augustine. I have sprinkler system installed and it also helps that since my community has reclaimed water I water it twice in a week

There was one scary time when my neighbor's lawn turned golden brown - completely! and he wasn't doing anything about it. Some patches in my backyard also started to dry up so I would water it every day evening in those patches with the hose. It's back to normal now.
I"m able to keep my yard green with a foreclosed home across from me that was without water for the yard, for over 2,5 years and that yard is all weed, bugs, etc. next to me is an empty house with yellow grass on the way to become the same as the yard across the street which was sold for a nice price and the owner wants to try to get the grass green. Just putting stuff against bugs and the Scott with iron that I use, I"m able to keep it green. I put a little of both stuff in my neighbors yard to keep the bugs out and the weeds out. So even by doing it my self I save a lot of money and can keep it green and I'm for sure not a pro on this, if I can do it so can every one (I have St. Augustine and Bahia/back yard)

Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It is Scott's fertilizer with iron in it. The iron makes it really look green. I buy it at Home Depot. The bag is green, purple and white.
It also makes it grow faster...... so you have to mow a little bit more, but it stays green.
You can also buy it in a larger bag at Costco. That's where I bought the Scotts fertilizer with the 2% iron and extra moisture holder or something like that. I applied that yesterday to my yard after cutting the grass and then it rained for a few hours for me last night. That was awesome! I live in South Florida and we've been getting a good amount and I don't think it's as dry as central FL area.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,300,502 times
My lawn was eaten up by Chinch bugs, even with spraying lost the whole front lawn, had it replaced and I can now water for the next 60 days, I've got the greenest lawn on the block and still have another 30 days I can water and I'm doing it all legal within the guidelines of the water company, of course I'm paying for having a green lawn those gallons sure do add up.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
My lawn was eaten up by Chinch bugs, even with spraying lost the whole front lawn, had it replaced and I can now water for the next 60 days, I've got the greenest lawn on the block and still have another 30 days I can water and I'm doing it all legal within the guidelines of the water company, of course I'm paying for having a green lawn those gallons sure do add up.
You should consider getting a well dug for your house and a reservoir tank to treat the iron in the water so you don't get the stain you see on some homes. I had a well dug for $1000 where I lived and connnected to my sprinkler system. I think I've already made my money back already on the water bill. A well for the sprinkler system might vary in price from places and the depth they have to drill. I definitely have a nice green lawn and didn't have to spend an arm and a leg on water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay