Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times

Advertisements

I'm dying over here ....or my grass is.
Its St Augustine and gets treated so its not like we have bugs ...we have heat!
I noticed some peoples grass is green ...but what about us w/o trees to shade our grass ....any tricks up your sleeves?'

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 04:41 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
water on your watering day(Sunday or Tuesday), hand water other times, and pray for rain(coming soon, rainy season is almost here)...its tough if you dont have any shade trees...the lawn must be burnin up, but it will turn back to green if it still exisits once the rainy season gets here

Old 05-12-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
water on your watering day(Sunday or Tuesday), hand water other times, and pray for rain(coming soon, rainy season is almost here)...its tough if you dont have any shade trees...the lawn must be burnin up, but it will turn back to green if it still exisits once the rainy season gets here
thanks. I could cook a hotdog on my grass during the day.
I'll start praying ...maybe do a dance.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I can't even stand to walk barefoot on mine. It's crunchy!!! Seriously, I water occasionally, but I feel so guilty about being wasteful. I'm hoping it comes back to life once the rains come. It has in years past, but that's no indication it will this time. Only time will tell...

Old 05-13-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I can't even stand to walk barefoot on mine. It's crunchy!!! Seriously, I water occasionally, but I feel so guilty about being wasteful. I'm hoping it comes back to life once the rains come. It has in years past, but that's no indication it will this time. Only time will tell...
I'm watering as much as my neighbors are. ....if it was bahai grass I would blow it off ...that grass can go through anything and be smiling the next day but it's St Augustine ....its a big baby!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
I was going to mention bahia. I don't have a sprinkler system, it gets water when it rains and except for a few patches of brown it is mostly green.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I was going to mention bahia. I don't have a sprinkler system, it gets water when it rains and except for a few patches of brown it is mostly green.
Bahai is magical in its ability to go dormant in extreme heat and cold
...we are holding on for dear grass life over hear. ...it sounds like I'm walking on potato chips in the front yard. The back yard is beautiful but we have trees in the back.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Use Scott's fertilizer for St. Augustine. It has iron in it and in myneighborhood, all home owners who use it have green lawns, the others are yellow. Even the once who have pest control coming to threat their yards are looking awful.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,377 times
Do most of the HOAs in the Tampa area require you to have St. Augustine grass?

When I used to have a St. Augustine lawn I found that it had to be watered every other day when it got above 90 degrees. I could water the heck out of it twice a week and in the days in between, it would look like pure death. Surely there has to be a better grass to standardize on. And lets not even talk about what happens when the chinch bugs discover it, which is what happens when it gets too dry. It is dead for good at that point! Some people think the chinch bugs only affect the blades and it will grow back but from my experience they turn everything into dust. Then comes the nasty-grams from the HOA.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
Do most of the HOAs in the Tampa area require you to have St. Augustine grass?

When I used to have a St. Augustine lawn I found that it had to be watered every other day when it got above 90 degrees. I could water the heck out of it twice a week and in the days in between, it would look like pure death. Surely there has to be a better grass to standardize on. And lets not even talk about what happens when the chinch bugs discover it, which is what happens when it gets too dry. It is dead for good at that point! Some people think the chinch bugs only affect the blades and it will grow back but from my experience they turn everything into dust. Then comes the nasty-grams from the HOA.
Again Scotts really helps you get your lawn green and it doesn't cost to much and you only have to put it on it 2 times a year or when ever it gets yellow. i put also some stuff against the flees, chinch bugs etc. and my yard looks really healthy.
yesterday we had a meeting from the HOA and I was told that new construction in Pasco County can only have Bahia in the back and builders are no longer allowed to put sprinklers in the back. I have on all my proeprties sprinklers in the back and partly St. Augustine and the rest Bahia, all put in by the builder.
I have heard some complains from people who have used companies to keep your lawns green and it cost them monthly payments and still it isn't as green as you should expect it to be. I bought Scotts at Home Depot but maybe it is cheaper online, I haven't looked at it. Scotts with iron works like a miracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay