U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM

11 posts, read 36,454 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have lived in fort lauderdale my entire life and have been thinking about what it would be like to live in the tampa bay area. I've only been to clearwater once when I was a kid and I remember the beaches being incredibly beautiful with soft sand and dolphins jumping in the water...Obviously there is more to tampa than just this aspect. What, if any, are the major differences between fort lauderdale and the tampa area? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 09:57 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,836,168 times
I lived in both, and i think fort lauderdale has more of a "New York' vibe, faster paced, more cosmopolitan, and congested. Tampa to me is more laid back, more 'med-western', calmer Gulf waters about 20 miles the West, beautiful sunsets, a richer history, and everything in one central area(like sporting events, downtown, performing arts, historic district, airport, business centers)....

Old 05-17-2008, 05:15 AM

62 posts, read 183,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
I lived in both, and i think fort lauderdale has more of a "New York' vibe, faster paced, more cosmopolitan, and congested. Tampa to me is more laid back, more 'med-western', calmer Gulf waters about 20 miles the West, beautiful sunsets, a richer history, and everything in one central area(like sporting events, downtown, performing arts, historic district, airport, business centers)....
Hmmm....I thought Ft. Lauder was the "retirement" city in FL? So they have it going on sort of like NYC?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:19 PM

7,269 posts, read 9,745,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullcitygirl View Post
Hmmm....I thought Ft. Lauder was the "retirement" city in FL? So they have it going on sort of like NYC?
Ft Lauderdale is a cosmopolitan area.

Moderator cut: offensive

Last edited by Keeper; 05-18-2008 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: referring to retirees who live in Tampa as purgatory..

Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 AM

13,768 posts, read 35,413,633 times
There are retirees all over FL.. many are snowbirds who come down for the winter and leave in the spring.

You really should visit both areas. I would also check out the Ft. Lauderdale forum. Oh yeah.. there are a lot of retirees who live there too.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-18-2008 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: edited

Old 05-19-2008, 10:17 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,605,288 times
ft lauderdale is a zoo and mostly ny-ers and latins from all over the place, its built on nothing but transients, partying and corruption. tampa is more of a place where people grew up here and its more of a normal middle american place. its getting a lot of the flight from south florida though and may someday reflect that region. its not flashy or fancy in tampa nor is there any money besides a few pockets. its kinda like omaha nebraska in 90 degrees.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:23 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,836,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
its kinda like omaha nebraska in 90 degrees.
Omaha? Now that's funny.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:46 PM

717 posts, read 654,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
ft lauderdale is a zoo and mostly ny-ers and latins from all over the place, its built on nothing but transients, partying and corruption. tampa is more of a place where people grew up here and its more of a normal middle american place. its getting a lot of the flight from south florida though and may someday reflect that region. its not flashy or fancy in tampa nor is there any money besides a few pockets. its kinda like omaha nebraska in 90 degrees.
This is an exaggeration I'm sure. but the point should is taken.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:02 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,729,691 times
I would beg to differ about that....Tampa is full of gated subdivisions and $60,000 SUVs, and has more than its share of glitter and flash. And FL is rated second only to CA in plastic surgery procedures, though many of those do happen in S. FL.

That being said, I too believe that Tampa is more laid back, less cosmopolitan than Ft. Lauderdale proper and even less so than Miami. St. Pete tends to have more of a reputation for retirees, and Tampa has a younger vibe (just look at the newspapers for evidence of this). I like Tampa very much because I think there is something for everyone here--arts communities, family-friendly areas, heavily planned/conforming neighborhoods, highly mixed areas, etc. It is less expensive than S. FL., I believe.

Tampa has a lot going for it. But I've been to the midwest and Tampa ain't it (though we have a huge population who came from there). It's also not southern--I am from the south and there's no comparison. But I think it's a fun city with a laid back feel and a lot to offer.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:20 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,307,409 times
Tampa is a slower paced kind of small city. Less traffic. I used to live in North Miami so the difference from S. Fl. to C. Fl. is great...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay