Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 08:03 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times

Advertisements

We are looking for houses in newer communities in Wesley Chapel and Land O Lakes and noticed one particular thing - there are so many french drains out there! All are full of water with signs of constantly standing water on the sidewalk nearby and even with these in place the lawns are still very soggy between homes and on backyards. Obviously these are not working not to mention the use of french drains in newer communities speaks volume - either drainage design failed or grading wasn't done properly. These are hard to maintain too. I am trying to figure out how older (15-20+ y.o.) communities have none and yards are just fine and sidewalks are dry overall.
I pulled some plans for newer communities we visited and sure enough french drains were no in these plans. Looks like an attempt to fix issue by builders/homeowners.
Trying to figure out why this issue exists in newer communities. Code/building requirements changed? Lack of quality control by inspectors/County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 08:51 AM

25 posts, read 14,265 times
Many reasons. One might be too many lots per acre thereby presenting swale flow problems. Another might be types of soil compaction problems combined with inadequate infrastructure when the streets were put in/sewer system etc.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:56 AM

17,197 posts, read 15,390,629 times
I live in East Lake (North Pinellas...) and yes, drainage here is poor. An average rain shower causes all sorts of flooding on the sidewalks to the point that walking to your car is a nightmare.

When I worked for the utility company some years back, I was tasked with assessing damage from storms, and I recall St-Pete being a flooded mess. Couldn't tell if I was driving on the road or going into a lake.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyFats View Post
Many reasons. One might be too many lots per acre thereby presenting swale flow problems. Another might be types of soil compaction problems combined with inadequate infrastructure when the streets were put in/sewer system etc.
Something is def getting done wrong/poorly otherwise I don't understand why 20 y.o. communities don't have this issue being located literally just across the street from new ones.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
wonder with all the demand if they're building in areas with higher water tables? If you build on a wet sponge there's only so much you can do with excess rain water. Interested in this topic since I'm considering a home down there...

Old 09-20-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
wonder with all the demand if they're building in areas with higher water tables? If you build on a wet sponge there's only so much you can do with excess rain water. Interested in this topic since I'm considering a home down there...
I think overall water table is very high in the area however, why it's not bad at all at older communities, this is something I am struggling to understand. I was even been told by realtors having standing water and horribly soggy lawn is a norm for Florida. This is not true.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:40 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Something is def getting done wrong/poorly otherwise I don't understand why 20 y.o. communities don't have this issue being located literally just across the street from new ones.
Maybe because the older neighborhoods were designed to drain in the direction of the newer ones?

Old 09-22-2021, 06:54 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Lots of fill dirt/soil gets trucked in from all over when these developments get built. Depending where it comes from will determine what soil you get. It makes a difference for sure.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:13 AM

25 posts, read 14,265 times
If you notice, in quite a few older communities there are drainage swales along the front boundaries of every lot...the new subs don't, but again, there are too many houses now allowed to be built per acre, and sometimes the improper gauge capacity of a pump station if even installed (not to be confused with a lift station).

Old 09-22-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Maybe because the older neighborhoods were designed to drain in the direction of the newer ones?
Nope. Not that for sure. There are far away from draining one into another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay