U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 17,224 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I am a 31 year old white female in pharma sales. I live in Cincinnati, OH. I want to transfer south, where I can put down roots and buy a condo. I am looking for a place with less depressing winters (smile) and a place to make new genuine friends, and maybe even meet a nice guy. I enjoy shopping, traveling, dining, sports (ie. sand volleyball, football), and am open to new things. I am considering Atlanta and Tampa at this point. Just wondering which you would choose if you were me? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 AM

38 posts, read 153,874 times
I've lived in both and may be moving back to Tampa soon. From what you've told us, I 'd say neither is right for you. Raleigh fits your description. There are plenty of jobs in your area. The triangle is loaded with pharma companies. The housing is affordable. There are a lot of educated single men (RTP) and making new friends is easy. It's a great place to raise a family. AND It's just a few hours to the beach or the mountains. The winters in Raleigh are comparable to those in Atlanta.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:02 PM

717 posts, read 1,147,836 times
Atlanta or Tampa is a hard decision. I'm dealing with the same thing becasue I'm planning a move to Tampa as well to attend USF for my masters.
I've visited Tampa numerous times, and really like the area. I always have a good time, and enjoy everything about it. The weather is definetly better in Tampa, and there are more leisure activities to do, and more of a culture in Tampa. You'll definetly be able to play sand volleyball in Tampa and still be able to enjoy your football. On the downside "from what I hear", it pays less than most cities...I'd look that up for yourself though, becasue people say all types of garbage on this site... Atlanta has more job opportunites, and does get cold but for a shorter period and not as cold as Ohio. In my opinion if weather, and a way of life is better for you, I'd choose Tampa, but if making more money and being in a bigger city is imortant, I'd choose Atlanta. For me, it's definetly gonna be Tampa!

But remember this, because a lot of people fail to forget this. Florida's history is based on it's Spanish past. There are many people that live here and bash the people and weather... There are a lot of Hispanics in Fl, and it will most likely increase over the years, in all parts of FL, as well as a lot of people from the Caibbean due to the fact that FL juts out into the Caribbean Sea... Not to say it's a scary thing, because it's not, but there are a lot of ignorant people that look at that as a terrible thing...Also, it does get really hot there. The humidy there is no joke!!! It's very sticky and humid. But then that's why there's swimming pools and AC...lol Just keep in mind that if you do move to Tampa, you will be moving to a Subtropical/Tropical state, and a state with a lot of immigration.

Please do not consider or even look at North Carolina. It ammuses me on how many people even consider such a boring, state to live in. I go to NC all the time for family purposes and to see friends in college, and that state is so boring it's ridiculos. It's good if you're ready to settle down and have the house, kids and all that stuff, but besides that you won't find anything to do in that state. And it gets colder in Norh Carolina. When people choose Charlotte or Raleigh over Atlanta I really laugh because NC is just so lame in my book.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:36 PM

7 posts, read 12,198 times
I currently live in ATL but am moving to Tampa at the end of June. We're moving to Tampa just because DH is from there and wants to go back home.

I have a love/hate relationship w/ ATL. Great friends have been made here. When I was single - it was a great town for that. I believe the scene has changed some though. There is always something to do (sports, concerts, festivals, etc). It's close to the mtns. Traffic is a bear and your life will revolve around it especially if you call on clients. Great places to dine. And even though the airport can be quite hectic - it's a great hub for direct flights to most anywhere - so travel would be a breeze. Plus there is just a ton of stuff w/in driving distance. Great great shopping too! That being said, I never saw myself raising my family here. The winters can get cold but it doesn't last too long. The summers can get really hot - but it doesn't last as long as it would in Tampa.

If you like the beaches and the heat, then Tampa should be a great place. It probably has many of the similar activities to offer as ATL but just on a slightly smaller scale. Can't comment on it too much seeing as I've just visited and not lived there. Tampa definitely wasn't my first choice considering I'm from the Pacific NW and love my mountains and trails!

As for jobs and pay that a previous poster mentioned - for us - the salaries have been very similar. We're both college educated professionals and have not seen a falloff in pay heading to Tampa. Same w/ housing. If you live in the City, expect to pay more. If you live in the burbs - generally you get more for your money. ATL hasn't seen as much of a depreciation in home values at Tampa but there has been some.

I think you'd do great in either place. And personally, I think NC is great too since PPs brought it up. Just really depends on your preferences! Good luck w/ your decision.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:44 AM

62 posts, read 183,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newstart31 View Post
Hi there! I am a 31 year old white female in pharma sales. I live in Cincinnati, OH. I want to transfer south, where I can put down roots and buy a condo. I am looking for a place with less depressing winters (smile) and a place to make new genuine friends, and maybe even meet a nice guy. I enjoy shopping, traveling, dining, sports (ie. sand volleyball, football), and am open to new things. I am considering Atlanta and Tampa at this point. Just wondering which you would choose if you were me? Thanks!
This sounds just like me!!! I am so torn but I loved Tampa! I keep hearing how scarce it is to find a job in ATL. Plus its so overcrowded!! I just feel that I would enjoy Tampa more but I was wondering about the job market there & the perks for a single person.

NC is a laid back state. Raleigh/Durham is trully building up. For me, I feel it is more of a college city, place to raise kids or retire. As far as the single life, its pretty boring for AA.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 17,224 times
Thanks for all of the info. As far as North Carolina is concerned, my company has a corporate office in Raleigh-Durham. I need more experience before I can be considered for a job in-house because it's very competitive. For now I will transfer with my comapny to whatever city I decide on.

A good friend of mine is moving to Charlotte. I visited with her and it was a beautiful city, but it seemed kind-of small, and when we went out I noticed that everyone seemed to be in their mid-20's, so I wasn't sure it was for me.

I know two people in Tampa to get me stated with making friends. My dad lives in Atlanta (Alpharetta actually) but may only be there another year with his job. I don't really know any friends in Atlanta, but I can get home to Cinci in an 8 hour drive, whereas Tampa would require a flight. I enjoy the beach more than the mountains, probably b/c I've been land-locked in the midwest all my life and we always want what we can't have! A cute guy I know lived in Tampa for 3 years and he said that he didn't like it in the respect that guys at bars wear their shirts unbuttoned half way and hit on girls in an ingenuine way. He made it sound cheesy. He also said that people move to Tampa to try to escape their problems?

All I know is that I am a nice normal girl looking to make a change. I will probably visit both cities more before I make a final decision. Thanks for you help!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,836,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newstart31 View Post
A cute guy I know lived in Tampa for 3 years and he said that he didn't like it in the respect that guys at bars wear their shirts unbuttoned half way and hit on girls in an ingenuine way. He made it sound cheesy.
I guess it depends where you go out...but I found this kinda funny

Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,410 times
So what did you decide?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 AM

792 posts, read 2,104,942 times
I was gonna reply to this and then realized it was a hundred years old.

what's with the grave digging on old threads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: