Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 03:55 PM

30,463 posts, read 21,316,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
It gripes me that our cable/internet/phone line costs twice as much as our electric power bill.
And prices go up every few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 10:19 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,688,067 times
In fairness, the Rays aren't the ones putting it on "Pay TV", Major League Baseball as an organization has done that. There are ways to follow still, though.

There are free watch parties for all fans to attend, at very least for all road games (Tampa Theatre is hosting in Tampa, whereas the Saint Pete watch parties taking place at the pier.

Radio is of course, free, so long as you have it. Honestly, I prefer listening to baseball on the radio. It allows you to be doing other things, like sitting outside, walking or jogging, working on something, going for a drive, etc. Also, the commentary is just so much more vivid and detailed and paints a picture of everything happening with the action, and around it, that you might not see when just watching pitch by pitch and between commercials.

I also have to echo the other sentiments here, as this isn't much different than other things in life, or in this area. Museums, or theatres/other cultural institutions are often partially taxpayer-funded, and yet they also charge money to remain profitable, or to avoid being further subsidized. Parks and even beaches are taxpayer-funded, yet also frequently charge admission, to help with maintenance, etc. The same deal goes with various other things that are mentioned here, or could be. I don't see it as an issue, unless the gripe is that our taxes should be put (as they are into various things like healthcare, roads, schools, or stadiums, which admittedly, I have some issue with, to a degree too, although it's more nuanced than people like to make it), to subsidizing our ownership of TV or payment for cable, which, to me, sounds like a bit too much government intervention

Old 10-10-2021, 10:28 AM

361 posts, read 259,701 times
Since you are saving money as a new "cordcutter", you might be interested in the alternatives described here:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/mlb-...without-cable/

I'm happy with cable. I better be since I live in an HOA and get it at a bulk rate whether I want it or not.

If I didn't have cable and wanted to see the Rays, I'd try the mlb.tv postseason offer of 25 bucks.

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-game...ostseason/2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
The Tampa Bay Rays are the best team in the American League, but starting today their playoff games are not available to watch unless you have an expensive Cable TV Subscription.

I Canceled my Cable TV 2 weeks ago because of the crazy high money every month.

The Rays owners want a new MLB Stadium in Tampa, but they refuse to show games for free to the public.

If the Ray's Owners ever get a new Stadium it will be TAX funded all by the same people who can't watch the games on free TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: