U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 21,904 times

Advertisements

Am I crazy for actually believing that I could land a job through a temp agency? I recently relocated to Tampa from the MD/DC/VA area. I hoped to secure employment prior to my move, but with my husband making enough to sustain us and our being debtfree, I felt comfortable leaving my govt. job to make the move.

A friend of mine suggested trying a temp agency as they afford the opportunity for employment on a trial and/or trial to permanent basis. The thought of being able to "test drive" a job seemed GREAT!

Well, I'm signed up with four...no five as of Thursday, different agencies at this point. It's been close to a month and I've yet to receive even the prospect of a job. It's disheartening because during each 60-90 minute interview, the agencies give clients a false hope, insisting that employers call everyday seeking someone to fill a vacancy. How does a staffing agency stay in business otherwise? They're paid when I work, right??? ugh.

I have seven years expertise as an administrative professional in addition to a Bachelor's degree so I'm thinking, it's not me...or is it??? Maybe there are simply more bodies than jobs to fill them in. Then why take on more clients, I ask....aaarrrgh

Is this simply a result of today's job market or is it really possible to secure employment through a temp/staffing agency? Please share your experiences. I need peace of mind

Sorry....really needed to vent. Have to keep myself productive somehow

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:33 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,430,953 times
Maybe someone here can recommend a good temp agency. I know there are a few agencies who seem to be better than others. I know some companies only deal with a certain temp agency so while you may have gone to several, you may need to find just that one.

Good luck..

Old 05-18-2008, 06:29 AM

4,568 posts, read 6,997,133 times
Moderator cut: link That's the way it is , exactly. I should know about that , I worked for some time for a temp agency!!
Look in the Sunday newspaper, or in Monster tampa bay for the type of job you are seaching.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-18-2008 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: website link not allowed

Old 05-18-2008, 12:30 PM

8 posts, read 28,047 times
I am in the same boat, the only responses I seem to get back are trap door sales/MLM "opportunites" where eventually they ask some sort of cash payment/commitment prior to receiving a paycheck.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 AM

I remember hearing good things about KForce. The company I worked for used them, although I don't know if they place staff for Admin positions..

Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,608,182 times
welcome to tampa.....this is not a place to move to for work or career. unfortunately when u get a call from an agency the pay will be $10 and u will have to compete against 30 others for the job. the economy is horrible here for most people all the time not just now. tampa is a poor place with no jobs....most educated people i know are looking to move asap, tampa is experiencing a big flight of educated people. the nice weather for 6 months is not worth being broke or unemployed while your friends/family in other cities all have good jobs. plus the 6 month summer is torture

Old 05-20-2008, 04:21 PM

I'm not discouraged just yet. I've only been in the Tampa Bay area a little over a month now. I love the area thus far and am welcoming the change in venue. I only wondered if securing employment, even on a short-term basis, through a temp/staffing agency was realistic. It took me a year to secure employment in the DC area. The company I worked for lost a Federal contract and laid off staff. This occured in Oct. 2005. I wasn't able to secure employment until Oct. 2006 and remained in that position until my relocation here in April 2008.

Relocating has been beneficial to us as it was a promotion for my husband's career. He's a marketing manager earning an attractive salary. This has enabled us to purchase a single family home. I purchased the condo I own in MD for $275K. The 2700 sq ft home we're moving into at the end of the month was thousands of dollars less. wow! We'd never be able to accomplish that in the DC Metropolitan area, even at an equal salary. That was our incentive to move out of MD/DC. Atlanta was our first choice, but when Tampa opened a door, we accepted. Florida had never been considered as an option. It was GA or NC as we both have social networks established in those areas.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 13,069 times
Default Telemarketing Capital Of the World is Tampa Bay

The job market is low paying here with Telemarketing and Debt Management the primary jobs other than of course the service industry jobs, there was just a huge Federal Bust in Largo and Clearwater this week involving telemarketing scams... As far as staffing agencys watch out they give u broken promises in this area, they treat u as just a number and just care about making there commission.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 PM

I'm pleased to report that I've received and have accepted an offer for employment with an organization I interviewed with yesterday at a comparable salary to that which I earned in the MD/DC area.

I've contacted each of the staffing agencies I signed up with to inform them of my employment status. Guess I didn't need their assistance after all.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 AM

See.. all that venting paid off...
http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif (broken link)

Great news.. congratulations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay