Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 11:07 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times

Advertisements

If you want to see something really wild in that regard, look around Beverly Hills (Crystal River area) or south between Ft. Myers’s and Naples. There are literally thousands of developed lots with streets and everything in place that have been abandoned.

I presume these were part of a past “land boom” that failed, probably in the 50s or 60s.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 12:58 PM

17,160 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you want to see something really wild in that regard, look around Beverly Hills (Crystal River area) or south between Ft. Myers’s and Naples. There are literally thousands of developed lots with streets and everything in place that have been abandoned.

I presume these were part of a past “land boom” that failed, probably in the 50s or 60s.

RM
LOL. I've seen those... To think some have that much money to waste...

Old 01-12-2022, 10:57 AM

346 posts, read 308,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I see what you mean. The bad areas seem like a disproportionately large part of town compared to other Florida cities… For what it’s worth, areas north of Kennedy, Port Tampa, Tampa Heights, and Riverside Heights have all improved dramatically over the past decade. TNC has gotten worse unfortunately.

Technically no, but Westchase still uses a Tampa address. I’m not sure why because it’s really not close to the city limits.

Westchase seems too much like Lakewood Ranch. Master planned fake communities.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:13 PM

121 posts, read 165,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
...a large swathe of the city and region is undesirable. Probably missing a few but it’s generally the same theme all around
I spent a few months in Tampa on two separate occasions back in 2016 and 2019. I came to the same conclusion:

"Tampa metro has islands of nice areas in a sea of sketchiness."

I was surprised at the willingness of the "pioneers" to buy homes in Seminole Heights. While in a good geographical location, it looked dangerous to me.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:03 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
I spent a few months in Tampa on two separate occasions back in 2016 and 2019. I came to the same conclusion:

"Tampa metro has islands of nice areas in a sea of sketchiness."

I was surprised at the willingness of the "pioneers" to buy homes in Seminole Heights. While in a good geographical location, it looked dangerous to me.
Not anymore for the most part. If you get around the fringes, maybe.

RM

Old 01-21-2022, 01:48 AM

346 posts, read 308,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Not anymore for the most part. If you get around the fringes, maybe.

RM

Sulphur Springs seems like its the worst area within Tampa. Very very spotty. But a rental around there for just a small room and a shared bathroom in a home with 3 other people went for ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS.. In that crappy part of town where the neighborhood wasn't fixed up, even if the home itself wasn't that bad. It was still overpriced for that area big time. Thats still very deep south over there. Very dirty deep south in the Sulph. Not very desirable for that price. Seminole Heights even used to be cheaper than that. My god. I see parts of Seminole Heights as nice still, like very nice next to Sulphur Springs even if its questionable at times.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:59 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,874 times
Can't imagine any place around here spottier than Suitcase City in NE Tampa.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:12 PM

17,160 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
HA!!! I remember hearing about this when I was at USF around 2010-2013... And then having explored the area a bit during my years studying there. Yeah... It was quite rough... Odd that all of this was blended in with wealthy students, and the Indian and Arab-owned businesses nearby... But yeah... A particular Marathon gas station on Fowler always gave me the creeps.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:13 PM

2,338 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
That’s probably the roughest part of town now that Ybor and West Tampa have benefitted some from gentrification.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:38 PM

42 posts, read 53,314 times
I think a lot of florida is like this. Fort lauderdale is basically the same except for the area near las olas and the areas on the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay