Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2022, 01:47 AM

21 posts, read 26,818 times

Advertisements

Example: If one buys a condo for $300k, how is the property tax determined? On the actual sale price or the county's assessed value?

What can be the variation from the sale price to the assessment? Significant or not?

Furthermore, the property tax would be reduced by a 50k Homestead Exemption, I assume? And, 25k of that Exemption does not apply to school tax?

With a 2% property tax and surging home prices, seems to me that Hillsborough is not the bargain it once was??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 06:10 AM

101 posts, read 171,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniq View Post
Example: If one buys a condo for $300k, how is the property tax determined? On the actual sale price or the county's assessed value?

What can be the variation from the sale price to the assessment? Significant or not?

Furthermore, the property tax would be reduced by a 50k Homestead Exemption, I assume? And, 25k of that Exemption does not apply to school tax?

With a 2% property tax and surging home prices, seems to me that Hillsborough is not the bargain it once was??
Yes, the difference between the assessed value and the sales price can be significant. Yes, the exemption applies as you said.

Hillsborough, in the built up areas, has not been a value for quite some time. I love it here, but if you want a better value, you must look further afield in north Pasco, Hernando, or even Citrus counties. Hillsborough County is very large though so you might find something in the southeast corner for a steal, but because that area is so rural, you might find more convenience looking north of the city in the aforementioned counties.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:12 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
You can estimate the tax here, if you have an address.

https://gis.hcpafl.org/propertysearc...px#/nav/Search

Old 05-18-2022, 09:49 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Once sale is complete, property will get new assessment value for tax purposes. Most likely it won't be as sale price but will be higher that it used to be so new home buyers should expect tax increase regardless... Unless they sold another home exemption house within the same County within the same calendar year and purchased new, so there is some sort of transfer that helps preserve prior assessment value (lower taxes).

Since prices jumped within last year and people who purchased in 2021 paid based on last year assessment, and taxes for 2022 are not available yet, so it's hard to determine what County will used as new assessment value. People who are buying now in 2022 won't know till the end of next year pretty much.

Great question, this is what I was wondering too seeing prices going up

Old 05-24-2022, 07:44 AM

71 posts, read 77,940 times
I am curious too about taxes on a condo. My one daughter has a 470 sqft studio condo, and her taxes are $900. It was an old apartment building in the 70’s, converted. My MIL had a condo, 1400 Sqft, 2 beds and 2 baths and her taxes were $390. How do they determine the rates? I think my daughter should grieve it. She paid 6 years ago $37k. They are now selling in her complex for $90k and up.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinMom View Post
I am curious too about taxes on a condo. My one daughter has a 470 sqft studio condo, and her taxes are $900. It was an old apartment building in the 70’s, converted. My MIL had a condo, 1400 Sqft, 2 beds and 2 baths and her taxes were $390. How do they determine the rates? I think my daughter should grieve it. She paid 6 years ago $37k. They are now selling in her complex for $90k and up.
It depends on the taxable value at the time of tax assessment and if the property was homestead property since them. Size or age of property has very little to do with this.
If you pull tax records for a neighbor of your daughter's condo who lived there 10 years longer, their taxes most likely will be lower. And people who would buy now most likely will be paying more compare to what your daughter pays.
The rate for taxes are determined on County level based on County's needs and there is no way around it.

Old 05-26-2022, 10:07 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Once sale is complete, property will get new assessment value for tax purposes. Most likely it won't be as sale price but will be higher that it used to be so new home buyers should expect tax increase regardless... Unless they sold another home exemption house within the same County within the same calendar year and purchased new, so there is some sort of transfer that helps preserve prior assessment value (lower taxes).

Since prices jumped within last year and people who purchased in 2021 paid based on last year assessment, and taxes for 2022 are not available yet, so it's hard to determine what County will used as new assessment value. People who are buying now in 2022 won't know till the end of next year pretty much.

Great question, this is what I was wondering too seeing prices going up
You are referring to Portability. That is not limited to the County. You can have portability if you move from Hillsborough to Pinellas County.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You are referring to Portability. That is not limited to the County. You can have portability if you move from Hillsborough to Pinellas County.
I am referring to this:
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay