Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2022, 06:46 PM

417 posts, read 267,578 times

Advertisements

So the Tampa council passed the liability on to the voters (November ballot) for a rent control ordinance. Of course this would only apply within the Tampa city limits.

It would prevent landlords from increasing rents no more than 5% of their current monthly rates – or the average annual increase in the Consumer Price Index from the preceding year – whichever is lower.

Regardless of whether a good or bad thing or even the legality of it. My question is....

..... IF approved, it would not go into effect until July 1, 2023, So would we not see a large mass rent increase in the Spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 10:36 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
This is so stupid. While I am all in for rent control, it should be fair for both sides. With current inflation rate, 5% is nothing. I totally see landlords not renewing the lease and getting new tenants every year.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:11 PM

2,338 posts, read 2,286,565 times
My understanding is it would have to be done as an emergency and only for a year unless it were extended. Voting for it on a ballot is part of the process. St. Pete was considering this too, but they didn’t move forward. If passed it will be challenged and they’ll probably lose in court.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:33 AM

417 posts, read 267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
My understanding is it would have to be done as an emergency and only for a year unless it were extended. Voting for it on a ballot is part of the process. St. Pete was considering this too, but they didn’t move forward. If passed it will be challenged and they’ll probably lose in court.

The city commish was worried about litigation and a voting record, so they put it on the ballot instead of passing a resolution.
But we all know how "only for a year" works in a politician's mind. Once they get the revenue stream........

Old 07-30-2022, 07:41 AM

2,338 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
The city commish was worried about litigation and a voting record, so they put it on the ballot instead of passing a resolution.
But we all know how "only for a year" works in a politician's mind. Once they get the revenue stream........
It’s a very slippery slope… The ballot portion is required. I followed St. Pete’s situation very closely. I care less about what happens in Tampa, but it sets a bad precedent for other municipalities.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:49 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
Rent controls are great in theory but the reality is that if landlords cannot make a sufficient property to cover maintenance & repairs, property taxes, insurance increases, etc then they cannot continue to operate the properties as rentals.

Rent control reduces the incentive of landlords to supply rental units. Rental units tend to be in even more of a scarce supply under rent controls.

There are always unintended consequences of laws like this.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:13 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Rent controls are great in theory but the reality is that if landlords cannot make a sufficient property to cover maintenance & repairs, property taxes, insurance increases, etc then they cannot continue to operate the properties as rentals.

Rent control reduces the incentive of landlords to supply rental units. Rental units tend to be in even more of a scarce supply under rent controls.

There are always unintended consequences of laws like this.

Yep. A friend of mine has his formal rental home sitting vacant up north because the town instituted rent control. He didn't renew the lease because he wouldn't have been able to charge sufficient rent to cover his increased insurance and tax costs. So, it will sit until he has a chance to get up there and prepare it for sale.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:45 PM

689 posts, read 639,447 times
I would never invest in a property in a rent control zone. Rent control sounds like a great deal for the renters but it definitely is not a great deal for owners. My aunt and uncle lived in a rent controlled apartment for years. The landlord did the minimum repairs needed and never updated the unit.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:41 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,748,990 times
In my opinion. No one but the owner of the property has a 100% right to increase rent. If the City Government tells him he cant do that, then that city is corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: