Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 02:31 PM

5,980 posts, read 7,395,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
Yeah, I remember you posting something about this somewhere. it sucks... it really does. Fishhawk (and I'm sure other communities) need better infrastructure. We need two lanes going down whatever this road is outside of Fishhawk, and Lithia Pinecrest.
Interestingly, Lithia-Pinecrest was designed for four lanes back in the 1990s, but it couldn't get funded. Fast forward to a year or so ago, and with the funding coming up in a couple of years for it in the infrastructure budget, it got defunded by the County Commission. I wonder why?

Fishhawk Blvd. was designed as a four lane limited access road for it's full length, as it is in some parts. Why hasn't it been done? Same reason - monies collected from the developers for infrastructure (impact fees) are being used on older projects in other parts of the County.

Only one way this can change - vote people who will promote infrastructure development on to the County Commission. It's also the reason why things continue to get worse - the County is constantly allowing what's known as "suburban infill" projects where they change zoning from SFHs to multifamily on small parcels of land. It's bad along Bloomingdale Ave., and getting worse. Bloomingdale is already an "F" rated road and has been for a number of years.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 02:36 PM

880 posts, read 566,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Only one way this can change - vote people who will promote infrastructure development on to the County Commission. It's also the reason why things continue to get worse - the County is constantly allowing what's known as "suburban infill" projects where they change zoning from SFHs to multifamily on small parcels of land. It's bad along Bloomingdale Ave., and getting worse. Bloomingdale is already an "F" rated road and has been for a number of years.

RM

For one of the commissioner seats, it was a decision (for my party) between a guy who promised to fight Communism, and another guy who promised to improve the roads. While I will admit that fighting Communism seemed like an awesome goal, I wasn't sure how useful that would be in Fishhawk, so I ended up voting for the guy who said he would focus on road construction.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:58 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,591,125 times
Same old song and dance. People go in with blinders on when buying the house. Afterwards suddenly experience the roads driving to work and are shocked, just shocked that a one lane road can have such back ups. Time to scream and yell and complain that the one lane roads, I drove on to buy the house would suddenly do that. Who could of seen that happening? This happens all over the county and all the surrounding ones as well. Rinse and repeat.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Same old song and dance. People go in with blinders on when buying the house. Afterwards suddenly experience the roads driving to work and are shocked, just shocked that a one lane road can have such back ups. Time to scream and yell and complain that the one lane roads, I drove on to buy the house would suddenly do that. Who could of seen that happening? This happens all over the county and all the surrounding ones as well. Rinse and repeat.

Haha... that's not at all my situation.

Regardless of who gets to complain though... the problem is an issue of cities and counties allowing for new housing construction, without properly accounting for the infrastructure to support it.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Haha... that's not at all my situation.

Regardless of who gets to complain though... the problem is an issue of cities and counties allowing for new housing construction, without properly accounting for the infrastructure to support it.

Once again this is nothing knew. This has been going on since the late 60's. You don't get to ignore what is all there to see before buying, just to complain after. Please do your homework.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Once again this is nothing knew. This has been going on since the late 60's. You don't get to ignore what is all there to see before buying, just to complain after. Please do your homework.

This is kind of a silly comment...

Old 09-22-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
This is kind of a silly comment...

Infrastructure in Hillsborough county has been behind for most areas for over 20 yrs. Builders are allowed to go out into the fringes of the county where the large tracts of land are with two lane roads leading out to these desolate areas with poor infrastructure. They put up these fancy entrances with these master-planed developments. People come from far and wide to check out the new homes with all the bells and whistles. They drive in on these two lane roads, that will become their main ways in and out of the area without a thought at the time. 6 months later after moving in they start to complain about the roads and infrastructure that's all around them. Rinse and Repeat, this has been going on for 60+ yrs. Just tired of people complaining, when everything was there before they bought.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Infrastructure in Hillsborough county has been behind for most areas for over 20 yrs. Builders are allowed to go out into the fringes of the county where the large tracts of land are with two lane roads leading out to these desolate areas with poor infrastructure. They put up these fancy entrances with these master-planed developments. People come from far and wide to check out the new homes with all the bells and whistles. They drive in on these two lane roads, that will become their main ways in and out of the area without a thought at the time. 6 months later after moving in they start to complain about the roads and infrastructure that's all around them. Rinse and Repeat, this has been going on for 60+ yrs. Just tired of people complaining, when everything was there before they bought.

I get it.

When I lived in Fort Lauderdale, there used to be a race track / drag strip that was out a little west, and the city eventually tore it down because some of the new town-homes that went up complained about the noise.

I think where I'm frustrated is what Morton said... that the city has been getting money for projects, and just like a typical Florida contractor... they take money from one project to complete a project that they're behind on... so it never gets done. I'm surprised the city / county is even allowing these neighborhoods to be built, knowing that they can't support it with infrastructure.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:20 AM

25,829 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Quote:
I get it.

When I lived in Fort Lauderdale, there used to be a race track / drag strip that was out a little west, and the city eventually tore it down because some of the new town-homes that went up complained about the noise.

I think where I'm frustrated is what Morton said... that the city has been getting money for projects, and just like a typical Florida contractor... they take money from one project to complete a project that they're behind on... so it never gets done. I'm surprised the city / county is even allowing these neighborhoods to be built, knowing that they can't support it with infrastructure.
If they deny the developers, the developers sue the City/County and drive up legal costs to taxpayers.

And the developers pay off the politicians, so they can do just about whatever they please.

The developers use the "carrot & stick" approach, and it works like a charm. They win, we lose.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

"And the developers pay off the politicians..."

This... this seems to be one of the biggest problems, and I don't quite understand how a politician can legally go from being lower-middle-class to suddenly having 1 million+ in liquid assets... and I'm not talking about campaign funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay