Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 06:19 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
There is a lot of negative comments in here that go along with the we are full mentality and being negative so you don’t move here. Just visit yourself and get an idea. Ghetto is so opinionated. I mean if you live in New York City in upper class upper east side and go a few streets north it’s in the hood. Most of the commenters don’t live in the city limits and far out. Fly in, rent a car and get a feel for yourself day and night. West Tampa is where most of the concentrated Cubans live. Your first statement about using the word ghetto probably won’t be comfortable with this area. Try Westchase where you are near the Hispanic community but will be in a make believe world of HOA and gulf courses.
I can't speak for others but my comments have nothing to do with "we are full". In fact, I highly encourage the OP to come here ASAP and move right into the West Tampa/Wellswood ghetto, where all the Cubans are. I'm sure he will loooooooooove it!

I highly encourage everyone and anyone who is interested in moving to Tampa to do so ASAP!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 07:19 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
I suggested Westchase not West Tampa. I mean this is USA. Ghettos everywhere. I would consider Seffner and Thonotosassa ghetto as well. Went to a gas station over there and thought I was in a deliverance movie set.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:24 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
I suggested Westchase not West Tampa. I mean this is USA. Ghettos everywhere. I would consider Seffner and Thonotosassa ghetto as well. Went to a gas station over there and thought I was in a deliverance movie set.
You got that right!

Old 03-21-2023, 10:43 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
You want Miami. Not Tampa

Old 03-21-2023, 01:41 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
I’m pretty much of the mindset that the OP should seriously consider Miami and not Tampa if they’re looking for a strong Cuban community.

I’ve worked with Cuban businesses in both cities, and the community in Miami is far larger and stronger than the one here. Stronger in the sense of connected to the culture and the island, that is.

At least that’s my observation. That and there are some very nice middle class neighborhoods in West Tampa and Town and Country. However, there are no “margins” around them in the sense that you can cross over to one street and things get very ugly very fast.

RM

Old 03-21-2023, 09:12 PM

87 posts, read 142,122 times
what's with the "i wanna move into a cuban area" jazz? you want to insulate yourself within a racially specific area that coincides with your own?

what the hell man? what does that make you?

ne se olvida el mundo tiene mucho jentes differente que tu. nadia importa donde viene, solamente como tu erras.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 3,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrainride View Post
what's with the "i wanna move into a cuban area" jazz? you want to insulate yourself within a racially specific area that coincides with your own?

what the hell man? what does that make you?

ne se olvida el mundo tiene mucho jentes differente que tu. nadia importa donde viene, solamente como tu erras.
The main reason I want to move into a Cuban area is because my Mother in law is from Cuba and doesn't speak English.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:48 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supremeangel View Post
The main reason I want to move into a Cuban area is because my Mother in law is from Cuba and doesn't speak English.
Miami and Orlando are your best bets for that.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:49 AM

71 posts, read 65,285 times
I don't know...mmm...maybe your mother in law needs to speak American English??

just a thought.

I know if I moved permanently to any foreign nation, I would seek to be at least conversant in that nation's language and culture....again, if it were a Give UP on my US citizenship.

We need less Balkanization of the US, not more pockets of it. Suggest that she take classes in ENGLISH, it will be better for her in the long run, in THIS SOCIETY. THIS AIN'T CUBA.

(and yes, I'm US born and bi-lingual...and yes my own US BORN mom spoke THREE languages well, and my dad, a former military intelligence officer spoke TWO)

Old 03-27-2023, 11:30 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach48urs View Post
I don't know...mmm...maybe your mother in law needs to speak American English??

just a thought.

I know if I moved permanently to any foreign nation, I would seek to be at least conversant in that nation's language and culture....again, if it were a Give UP on my US citizenship.

We need less Balkanization of the US, not more pockets of it. Suggest that she take classes in ENGLISH, it will be better for her in the long run, in THIS SOCIETY. THIS AIN'T CUBA.

(and yes, I'm US born and bi-lingual...and yes my own US BORN mom spoke THREE languages well, and my dad, a former military intelligence officer spoke TWO)
You have a point - it certainly doesn't hurt for folks to be bi-lingual. My dad's first language was Spanish, but he learned and spoke English just fine, as did most of my relatives. He even learned Japanese when he was stationed in Japan. My husband lived his first 9 years in America but his parents moved to Belgium for work and he went to French speaking schools, so he learned and spoke French, and Flemish. Most people there speak several languages.

Everyone should at least attempt to be at least a little bit conversational in the language of the country they are living in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay