U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 22,882 times

Advertisements

I have spent over 2+ hours searching the internet about the swimming pool laws in the state of Florida and all I keep coming up with is the laws for "new" pools being built not one's already built.

This is so important to me as I have a lady who wants to stay at my house a few days a week and she has 2 children ages 3 & 4.

I have an inground pool and am curious about the laws for existing pools but am also very leary as I am not willing to let someones child....anyone's child actually get hurt or drown in my pool!

I would LOVE to know what the law is here in Flroida for existing pools.

Thank You in advance for all of your help!!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 PM

792 posts, read 2,091,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyB777 View Post
I have spent over 2+ hours searching the internet about the swimming pool laws in the state of Florida and all I keep coming up with is the laws for "new" pools being built not one's already built.

This is so important to me as I have a lady who wants to stay at my house a few days a week and she has 2 children ages 3 & 4.

I have an inground pool and am curious about the laws for existing pools but am also very leary as I am not willing to let someones child....anyone's child actually get hurt or drown in my pool!

I would LOVE to know what the law is here in Flroida for existing pools.

Thank You in advance for all of your help!!!!
The only law i've ever heard of is that you have to have it fenced in.

There may be a law about flotation devices and all that, but i've never heard of it.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:02 AM

1,832 posts, read 4,700,953 times
I think that the real issue is whether or not you want to be responsible if something happens. Regardless of the law, you could certainly be held responsible if a guest drowned and you didn't have a fence.

Usually you need 2 barriers--we have a net on the pool and a fence around our lot. I would at LEAST install a fence, or ask her to sign a waiver.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,356,093 times
Do yourself, the mother and children a favor and have a child fence installed. Please. Perhaps the lady will pay for it or split the cost?

Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 PM

105 posts, read 146,045 times
Why is the lady staying there and will she be there alone? I would put a child safety fence up because if anything happens I am sure you could be held liable since it is on YOUR property! If you are that worried I would definetly put a fence up. Indeed these laws as far as I know only pertain to new pools that are built they have to have a child safety fence.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:00 AM

13,772 posts, read 35,131,111 times
To me the biggest thing would be having to fight a lawsuit in court. I think we all agree here, friend or family they can still sue you if anything happened, they might not win, but the stress would not be fun either.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 20,108 times
How far away from house and lot line can you build a pool in fla. thank-you

Old 08-09-2009, 02:14 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,275,040 times
Default Swimming pools

I thought that you had to have it screened in and or fence, there are also child safely fences, my neighbor got one of those for her dogs so they wouldn't fall into the pool.

When our kids were small hubby put up his own version of a fence, 4 ft. high with gate so the kids wouldn't be tempted to get into the pool area.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 AM

13,772 posts, read 35,131,111 times
I don't know if this has changed but a neighbor had a pool that was less than 2 ft from his house and less than 3 ft from the property line.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 AM

4 posts, read 29,045 times
The law stipulates that you must have an enclosed backyard with a 4' high fence and a gate with and a spring mounting self latching device. This is to keep the outside kids or people from coming in.
That is it. Plus the new pools must have a drain that does not trap feet or that the presure is so high that it holds a person down in the deep end.
If I was renting the home, I would put a child safety net around the pool. Now you have done everything possible to keep that child from drowing.
After that the parents are responsible for keeping an eye on their children.
One more thing you could do. You can place an alarm on the doors that everytime someone opens that door to pool area, it sounds off to alert you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or