Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 06:14 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times

Advertisements

Definitely contact the code enforcement division in your county, perhaps law enforcement about your new "neighbors". Many counties or local municipalities have rules on board that prohibit anyone, whether they own the property or not, from living in a tent or mobile home on an otherwise vacant lot. And draining any questionable water on to someone else's property makes it even worse.

We have an ordinance here in Charlotte county that prohibits owners of vacant lots from setting up housekeeping there in mobile homes, although IIRC they have relaxed this ordinance for owners whose dwellings were so badly damaged in hurricane Ian that they're inhabitable, allowing the homeowners to live in mobile homes on the lots while their homes are being rebuilt. Though I'm not sure what the process may be in being able to do this.

Do you know if your new neighbors even own the land and doublewide? If they don't they're just downright squatters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 06:41 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,203,799 times
This is a simple fluid dynamics hydrology issue. Raise the tubing overhead at about 8 feet from the discharge end until it drains. then hold the end about 4 feet off the ground and fill it with powdered bentonite ( get this at your local drillers supply, dirt cheap. clay cheap anyway) . having a wide discharge right sized funnel will help and an appropriate scoop. Loop this back so the end points back to the trailer well away from PL. They should get the message. For sure a message will be received. If they recidivate just call the sanitarian. They can't even legally do that discharge on their own place.

Old 04-02-2023, 09:40 PM

140 posts, read 111,008 times
The folks you want to speak with are the Law Enforcement division of the FL Dept. of Environmental Protection. They take issues like this extremely seriously. DEP Law Enforcement

Old 04-03-2023, 09:57 AM

224 posts, read 551,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Definitely contact the code enforcement division in your county, perhaps law enforcement about your new "neighbors". Many counties or local municipalities have rules on board that prohibit anyone, whether they own the property or not, from living in a tent or mobile home on an otherwise vacant lot. And draining any questionable water on to someone else's property makes it even worse.

We have an ordinance here in Charlotte county that prohibits owners of vacant lots from setting up housekeeping there in mobile homes, although IIRC they have relaxed this ordinance for owners whose dwellings were so badly damaged in hurricane Ian that they're inhabitable, allowing the homeowners to live in mobile homes on the lots while their homes are being rebuilt. Though I'm not sure what the process may be in being able to do this.

Do you know if your new neighbors even own the land and doublewide? If they don't they're just downright squatters.
Yes, I believe they are the owners as see it was sold right around the time they moved in. There's a doublewide on the lot, has been vacant for past 10 years. Can see where they've removed drywall etc so seem to be working on it.
What I was hoping is instead of specifically addressing the drain line issue, the motorhome is in the grass on side of property and what I read for Hillsborough County, RVs have to be in a designated parking space; so I called CE (didn't report yet) and they said that the motorhome could not be where it is so that would take care of the drain-line issue as well. Plus while I was willing to let them keep it there, it is right up next to our fence so wouldn't be able to enjoy doing stuff in the yard with them so close, and like I was going to tell them, it's not safe to have their RV under that big carrotwood tree, two others along the fence line have come down and that's the biggest one of all, it's a beast of a carrotwood, easily 35'. I plan on cutting it down so it's all for the best; except for their possible retaliation, but has to be done I guess. And there is a designated parking area for their RV on the other side of their property; our previous neighbor's big RV is still there, been sitting there for past 10yrs, so they have another place to put it. And there's no neighbor close by on that side as there's actually two easements going further back so plenty of space between next home on that side.
The only thing I'm wondering now, is I could let them know about the danger being under that tree and hope they move and if they don't and I had to report it as least they'd know it wasn't done out of ill will.
Or, I could just not interact with them at all, report it and hope for the best.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:09 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
Yes, I believe they are the owners as see it was sold right around the time they moved in. There's a doublewide on the lot, has been vacant for past 10 years. Can see where they've removed drywall etc so seem to be working on it.
What I was hoping is instead of specifically addressing the drain line issue, the motorhome is in the grass on side of property and what I read for Hillsborough County, RVs have to be in a designated parking space; so I called CE (didn't report yet) and they said that the motorhome could not be where it is so that would take care of the drain-line issue as well. Plus while I was willing to let them keep it there, it is right up next to our fence so wouldn't be able to enjoy doing stuff in the yard with them so close, and like I was going to tell them, it's not safe to have their RV under that big carrotwood tree, two others along the fence line have come down and that's the biggest one of all, it's a beast of a carrotwood, easily 35'. I plan on cutting it down so it's all for the best; except for their possible retaliation, but has to be done I guess. And there is a designated parking area for their RV on the other side of their property; our previous neighbor's big RV is still there, been sitting there for past 10yrs, so they have another place to put it. And there's no neighbor close by on that side as there's actually two easements going further back so plenty of space between next home on that side.
The only thing I'm wondering now, is I could let them know about the danger being under that tree and hope they move and if they don't and I had to report it as least they'd know it wasn't done out of ill will.
Or, I could just not interact with them at all, report it and hope for the best.

Well, I guess if you called CE they'd inform these folks that the motorhome needed to be moved to the designated parking spot if they wanted it to remain on the property. The neighbors wouldn't have to know who called CE, or even whether CE noticed what was happening when they were making a trip through your neighborhood anyway. And it's not as though CE would be evicting them from their property if the motorhome is allowed to be there. Anyway, good luck!

Old 04-03-2023, 03:23 PM

I wish it could be like CE just happened to be in the area, but the agent I spoke to earlier told me they would be informed someone had filed a complaint.
They'd be very displeased having to move; where it's at is right by the well & septic; I don't even think they could hookup from the other side.

I wonder if I put something like a window well, just so they'd get the hint without having to confront them about it? Is 2ft deep, so dig down 1' to block, while leaving the other foot above ground connected to the fence on our side.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:35 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Take pictures of it. Contact CE immediately.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Take pictures of it. Contact CE immediately.
From what CE told me, the RV can't be where it's at in the lawn, so they would make them move it to the driveway which would take care of the drainage issue as that's on the other side of the property.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:27 AM

140 posts, read 111,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
From what CE told me, the RV can't be where it's at in the lawn, so they would make them move it to the driveway which would take care of the drainage issue as that's on the other side of the property.
You're missing the point. The point isn't that they're discharging on to your property, it's that they're discharging it at all. Call law enforcement, as I previously suggested, and let them deal with it. That crap (literally??) doesn't need to be disposed of improperly.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:27 AM

71 posts, read 65,103 times
Around ME, you must provide your name (or "a name" LOL) to file a complaint.

Hint: When you contact or write them, just VOLUNTEER "a name", then they woun't be suspicious because of your "forthrightness" LOL

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. Most counties in FLORIDA will not allow anonymous complaints, just cough up "your name" but you don't have to give your address or phone (unless you're stupid LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay