Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 10:11 AM

204 posts, read 875,667 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone. We're planning a trip to Clearwater for the week of July 4th (I know, terrible week to travel but that week is one of our companies standard vacation weeks). We're a family of 3 and our child is three years old. Just looking for any advice/tips on what areas to focus our search for (or avoid) an AirBNB/VRBO. We're not familiar at all with the area (we stayed in Destin last summer which we thoroughly enjoyed). Beach access is probably top priority but being able to easily get around and being in close proximity to family friendly attractions is helpful as well.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 10:29 AM

140 posts, read 111,300 times
Clearwater, Clearwater Beach especially, is a traffic disaster on holidays, Spring Break, etc. I don't know how much driving you intend to do, but if so, take that into consideration. There's a ton of options on hotels, VRBO/AB&B and the like, so that's not a problem. Availability during that time might be. It's going to come down to location and your budget. You might be able to find something a little nicer and cheaper in Dunedin just to the north, but it won't be on the sand. It will also have a more likely chance of being available. I've got no kids that I know of, so family-friendly attractions aren't my area of expertise. Have fun & safe travels.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:44 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Look just to the south of Clearwater in Indian Rocks Beach and The Redingtons. Much less crowded and commercialized (especially IRB) although there are some great restaurants to choose from.

https://www.vrbo.com/search/keywords...hildrenCount=1

https://www.vrbo.com/search/keywords...hildrenCount=1

Old 04-17-2023, 11:02 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Stay at the Don CeSar if it’s within budget. Even if it isn’t, see what other options there are on the south side of St. Pete Beach. Pass-a-Grille has some charming boutique hotels.

If I understand correctly, short-term rentals aren’t legal in the Pinellas beach communities so exercise caution if they’re being offered there.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:17 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Stay at the Don CeSar if it’s within budget. Even if it isn’t, see what other options there are on the south side of St. Pete Beach. Pass-a-Grille has some charming boutique hotels.

If I understand correctly, short-term rentals aren’t legal in the Pinellas beach communities so exercise caution if they’re being offered there.

You are incorrect with the blanket statement that short-term rentals aren't legal in Pinellas beach communities.

Each community has specific rules and regulations, but short-term rentals are legal in portions of most of the communities.

The availability of short-term rentals, also referred to as transient rentals, is generally not allowed in purely residential zones, but are permitted tourist or commercial zones.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:45 PM

Great information so far, thanks so much everyone! I expect this is going to community specific but do some allow golf carts to be driven on the road? We will be driving down in a Yukon XL so I'm hoping to not have to drive too much once we're there as I know that'll be a hassle to get around in. I'd like to find a rental with a cart if that's a viable option for local transportation.

We'll certainly look into rentals in those other areas mentioned. We're mostly just looking for beautiful gulf beach experience so I am all for a less crowded, less commercial locale.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:43 AM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Locals are usually going to suggest places OTHER than Clearwater Beach, but many seem to forget what it's like to be a tourist/visitor, and that wants are different.
Clearwater Beach is where you go for family-friendly amenities, ease of getting around on foot (seriously, just park your huge SUV and forget about it for the duration of your stay. Walk around, and use the beach trolley if wanting to explore other areas South) etc. There is always stuff going on for kids there: bounce houses, animal exhibits, live, kid-friendly shows, and so on.
Other beaches in Pinellas County tend to be much quieter, and have sort of a residential feel to them. They're gorgeous, and I prefer to spend MY time there (like Honeymoon Island for instance) but for a visiting family, I think Clearwater offers the most, by far.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:42 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Locals are usually going to suggest places OTHER than Clearwater Beach, but many seem to forget what it's like to be a tourist/visitor, and that wants are different.
Clearwater Beach is where you go for family-friendly amenities, ease of getting around on foot (seriously, just park your huge SUV and forget about it for the duration of your stay. Walk around, and use the beach trolley if wanting to explore other areas South) etc. There is always stuff going on for kids there: bounce houses, animal exhibits, live, kid-friendly shows, and so on.
Other beaches in Pinellas County tend to be much quieter, and have sort of a residential feel to them. They're gorgeous, and I prefer to spend MY time there (like Honeymoon Island for instance) but for a visiting family, I think Clearwater offers the most, by far.
The OP has indicated they want quieter and unless I'm mistaken, a three year old hasn't developed enough to appreciate fully any attractions. Lastly the Beach Trolley runs the length of the Pinellas County beach communities so they can access it anywhere along the route. https://psta.net/media/5858/route-555-031522.pdf

Old 04-18-2023, 10:53 AM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The OP has indicated they want quieter and unless I'm mistaken, a three year old hasn't developed enough to appreciate fully any attractions. Lastly the Beach Trolley runs the length of the Pinellas County beach communities so they can access it anywhere along the route. https://psta.net/media/5858/route-555-031522.pdf
Yeah I get that. I was just suggesting to not dismiss Clearwater Beach so quickly, as locals tend to do, often forgetting that a tourist isn't looking for the same stuff we are when going to a beach. I just find it to be the easiest place to generally get around in, considering the walkability aspect of it (thinking parents with a toddler in tow.) Literally park your large SUV and forget about it for the duration of your stay, as everything is easily accessible, from grocery stores to boutiques to attractions to beaches.

Truth be told, all of Pinellas's beach communities are great.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yeah I get that. I was just suggesting to not dismiss Clearwater Beach so quickly, as locals tend to do, often forgetting that a tourist isn't looking for the same stuff we are when going to a beach. I just find it to be the easiest place to generally get around in, considering the walkability aspect of it (thinking parents with a toddler in tow.) Literally park your large SUV and forget about it for the duration of your stay, as everything is easily accessible, from grocery stores to boutiques to attractions to beaches.

Truth be told, all of Pinellas's beach communities are great.
Thanks so much for the input, you both make great points. I wasn't aware of the Beach Trolley so I suspect that will come in handy regardless of where we stay. My wife would be content to stay on the beach from sunup until bedtime but I prefer to have a little more to do, although a 3 year old doesn't allow for much. I think my main concern is having enough restaurants nearby so that we can get daily needs and food/drinks without having to venture out in the large SUV. Walkability or even being able to drive a golf cart to nearby options is great; I'll discuss with my wife (who will also be 6 months pregnant at the time) and ultimately let her make the call on locale haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay