Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2023, 10:30 AM

224 posts, read 551,271 times

Advertisements

I need a roof repair done in living room. If I get an estimate is that binding or could they potentially say I need to pay them more, maybe even put lien on property etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 11:03 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Roof repair estimates should always contain the following:

Complete names and contact information for the roofer & you.
Quote broken down by materials, labor, and any other fees to be included (such as permits).
Full statement of work to be completed -- detailed explanation of what is to be done.
Material list with prices.
Payment methods and due dates.
Complete work schedule and estimated completion date.
Insurance information regarding the roofer & any subcontractors.
Warranty or guarantee terms, if any.
Expiration clause mentioning the length of contract and specific termination terms for the contract.

The estimates I've seen over the years always include some sort of clause explaining the estimate is based on what the roofer has observed from inspection and does not include the cost of any hidden damages/wood rot that may be discovered during the course of repairing the roof.

As to which roofer to use, the cheapest estimate does not equate to the best choice. Check reviews for the various local roofers in your area, especially recent reviews. Verify the roofer's licence is current with the state of FL, it can easily be done online. You'll want a roofer that carries both general liability and workers compensation insurances. This is not the time to hire a handyman, especially as insurance companies are becoming very particular about roofs they are insuring.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:04 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Estimate is just that, an estimate. Only the contract is binding and even then they usually have a clause about 'if they find more damage while doing the work' they could charge more.

Make sure you find reputable people and get multiple estimates.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:11 AM

1,894 posts, read 892,017 times
* Get referrals from friends/family that have used them in the past.

* Call more than one for estimates, and put everything in writing.

* Do your homework. Check reviews everywhere.

* No money should exchange hands without a contract.

Old 07-27-2023, 12:14 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
What everyone else said, while remembering that in fairness to the roofer, there can very well be damage they can't see until they start pulling stuff apart. If that occurs and they're reputable, the job super or their sales rep should be there getting pictures and showing you what they found and explain what additional work will be required to remediate it.

I'm no roofer nor have I played one on TV, but with some types of repairs, the potential for hidden damage is always there. A good company will do everything they can to avoid this - they don't want to have to pile on, either.

RM

Old 08-01-2023, 02:47 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I agree with some of the previous postings.

Most of our estimates were as provided after the work was finished. Only in a very few cases the roofer showed us after opening up the roof what else was needed which didn’t add up to significant higher charges. In most cases it was additional plywood due to rotten plywood.

During Covid, Plywood prices were higher than right now so I doubt that in the current time we live in, that the additional charges would have been added.

But make sure to get a reliable roofer. The best roofers do not get involved with the lawsuits as some of them, made their living off.

Old 08-03-2023, 04:48 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times
No matter what you look for in Tampa Bay. Plumbing, Roofing, Painting, Electrician, Air Conditioning. All these Companies are crazy expensive because of the minimum wage law.

Old 08-05-2023, 09:14 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
I need a roof repair done in living room. If I get an estimate is that binding or could they potentially say I need to pay them more, maybe even put lien on property etc?
Not unless you sign a contract with them. We have gotten many estimates for work needing to be done, and generally those written estimates will have a time limit ( we have seen 30 days) for which that estimate is good.

Old 08-05-2023, 09:28 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
This is general advice - not tampa specific.

I've had several roofs done over the years.

The biggest (unexpected, or variable) expense is replacement of any roof board sheeting (the wood under the shingles/roofing material) if any is damaged. Most estimates include a few 8x4 sheets, but if they need more, cost goes up. We just did our 1920's house and there was substantially more than anticipated. We had a great company and he sent pictures (including drone pics) through the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: