Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,573 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at the city of Tampa as a retirement place in about 6-7 years from now. We are just starting to research homes and the general lifestyle of the city. Its a little overwhelming, can anyone offer advice on how we can better our seach strategy. We are planning a trip down there next month just for a weekend to get a feel for the place as neither of us have been there, we're just tired of the Chicago winters. We're very cosmopolitan and love to eat different types of cuisine esp. Indian food. Its important to me also to be close to a community college and a library. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 05:00 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
sun city center is a retirement focused area about 40 minutes south of tampa off i-75. its a good spot because u r in between tampa, sarasota and st. pete....all within 30-40 minutes

Old 06-03-2008, 02:26 PM

190 posts, read 650,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsathaye View Post
My husband and I are looking at the city of Tampa as a retirement place in about 6-7 years from now. We are just starting to research homes and the general lifestyle of the city. Its a little overwhelming, can anyone offer advice on how we can better our seach strategy. We are planning a trip down there next month just for a weekend to get a feel for the place as neither of us have been there, we're just tired of the Chicago winters. We're very cosmopolitan and love to eat different types of cuisine esp. Indian food. Its important to me also to be close to a community college and a library. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
6-7 years is a long time with this economy and house market/rents. just think about 6-7 years ago, things were very diff. my advice would be: dont make any decisions now for that far in the future. i would keep researching every once in a while, but not to much as over thinking is not a good thing. also, from what i have heard, there are much better retirement areas other than Tampa. Tampa seems to be more for younger, working class people as i see it. a family friend retired in lakeland and says he loves it, slower pace lifestyle, i cant say if that would be for you.

also, Tampa isn't know for a place with good food. a lot of chains. one thing i miss about Providence RI is the good food. hope this might help somewhat

Old 06-03-2008, 03:46 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
also, Tampa isn't know for a place with good food. a lot of chains. one thing i miss about Providence RI is the good food. hope this might help somewhat
there are lots of great places ot eat, but unlike very large citites, you have to FIND them in Tampa. CreativeLoafing.com does a good job showcasing the best local eateries...South Tampa has alot of these, as well as other parts of the city. The best Indian i have had was up near USF off Fowler Ave in the University Collections plaza...recently i was introduced to Ethiopian in South Tampa off henderson Blvd, Quen of Sheba, WOW what a great meal, who knew?? Great Korean can be found on Cypress Ave in the Westshore District, I cant rave enough about Laughing Cat Italian in Ybor City...I can go on and on..

Now reagarding retiring in the city of Tampa, my personal opinion is it would not be MY first choice, but its a matter of preference...i'd rather be on the beach somewhere close to a Major city, so i'd check out Coast.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:20 PM

35 posts, read 190,037 times
I wouldn't retire to Tampa - there's nothing to do around here. It's at least an hour or more drive to get to the beaches - and it's not very attractive. I would look on the east coast, you get better breezes from the Atlantic Ocean and it's not as congested.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anywherebutpinellas View Post
I wouldn't retire to Tampa - there's nothing to do around here. It's at least an hour or more drive to get to the beaches - and it's not very attractive. I would look on the east coast, you get better breezes from the Atlantic Ocean and it's not as congested.
My mom retired here just outside of Tampa, and she can't stop, her calendar is packed with things do to around the area, more social than me , from broadway and off broadway and local theater productions at the performing arts center and local theaters, the numerous concerts/live music events that are in town playing at the many venues like ruth eckerd hall, mahaffy theater, tampa theater, florida orchestra playing throughout tampa, all the festivals(they can think of a festival for anything around here- strawberry's, ribs, seafood, pirates, crawfish, cuban, italian, puerto rican, every holiday, etc. etc...), all the arts shows and fairs, the many historic sights and gardens/parks, museum after museum tours and events at the museums, wine tastings/pairings, dining out at a new place each week, shopping sprees at flea markets, fresh markets, outlets, even sports games from amjor league baseball, to hockey(she loves hockey), and football both college and pro(loves that too), and of course the beaches....i just cant believe her social calender is so full most of the time....i have to get on her calendar to watch the kids when im away....and its can be very difficult

Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Exclamation Rent First!!!

My friend at work had purchased his vacation home, near his parents and inlaws, in Orlando, 10 - 12 years ago and spent almost every spare minute there...after retiring 2 years ago...he moved there permanently and less than 12 months into it...decided it was not the place for him and his wife.......as he claims....it is a great place to visit...but not to live...he still wants to live in Florida....just not there....so before you make any decisions...try living there for a month or two and see how you like it... this way...if you don't like it...all you have to do is pack...not sell!!

Old 06-04-2008, 12:51 PM

35 posts, read 190,037 times
You need money to do most of those things. I don't have it - and a lot of retirees are on tight budgets, too.

I'm just saying of all the places in the country to retire - why pick Tampa? It's one of the last places in the world I'd pick. It's ugly, it's overcrowded and people are not that friendly. I've lived here a year and have yet to make any real friends.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anywherebutpinellas View Post
You need money to do most of those things. I don't have it - and a lot of retirees are on tight budgets, too.

I'm just saying of all the places in the country to retire - why pick Tampa? It's one of the last places in the world I'd pick. It's ugly, it's overcrowded and people are not that friendly. I've lived here a year and have yet to make any real friends.
you'd be surprised what these retirees can do for the cheap, my mom is on a fixed income and definteily not rich by any means, but manages to keep herself busy in the area with all her retired friends.

As far as Tampa being being ugly, overcrowded and people not being friendly, that would be how YOU see it, but talk to my mom and all her neighbors and friends, they see different, to each his own as I always say....but I will add, Tampa is not on MY list of citites to retire, im looking for quiet beach community with young and older folks when my time comes to retire...probably one of the many small towns that dot the Pinellas Coast like Pass-a-Grille, Indian Shores, etc....so I can still be close to all the amenties of the city(Airport, Arts, Sports, Concerts, Festivals, etc....)but live closer to the beaches.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:25 PM

105 posts, read 200,147 times
Tampa is a great city with a lot of entertainment to offer. It all depends whats important to you. If you like to be close to the beach I would strongly suggest Pinellas County. We have a lot of things "going on" here and many retirees love it because of that. Still close to Tampa but not directly in the City! I suggest take a trip down here and just explore! 6-7 yrs. indeed is a long time away and tons of things can happen from now to then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay