Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2023, 10:25 AM

54 posts, read 75,297 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a single mom living in New Port Richey, Florida. I have a daughter who will be starting 9th grade next year. I want to move to Lutz where we have friends/family.

The title of my post may seem judgmental to some reading this. I don't judge anyone Please don't respond if you have nothing helpful to share. I'm not here to fight. Honestly, I don't know any other way to find a good high school for my daughter without getting informed opinions.

I have not skimped on researching. I have done tons. I did tons to find her a good charter middle school, but that didn't turn out that well. I found you can search for A+ schools and look at the subjects taught, but that doesn't really tell you what it will be like to attend the school.

There are basically two things that I am looking for - a good education and a good environment. I am going to list what I would love to find, although some may be unrealistic. I simply want to paint a picture of who I am and what I want for my daughter.

Education. History - learning about mistakes humankind has made. When things happened and our progress since then. Wars. Slavery. Holocaust. Classic literature. Vocabulary. Spelling. Our government-a democratic republic. Algebra/Geometry/Trigonometry/Calculus. Science/Chemistry/Physics. Advanced courses and electives. Art. Music. Theatre. Spanish.

Environment. Challenging. Meritocracy - no participation awards. Parents with similar values and beliefs - Integrity. Gratitude. Respect. Discipline. Principles. Wisdom. Striving. Success. Purpose. Giving/Charity. Not allowing others to make decisions for their children. A letter does not define you. A male cannot menstruate or become pregnant.

I think you get the gist. To say the least, I have been very disillusioned by our public school system.

Of course, I would rather not pay for a school. I'm not sure if I will find what I am looking for in a public or charter. I have been looking for a Catholic high school in Lutz, but there doesn't seem to be one. Does anyone know of one, maybe a small one not on the web? A Christian school would be fine as well. I went to a southern Baptist school that was extremely strict and scared the crap out of me. I don't want that for my daughter. However, that being said, I will choose that over the other schools I have mentioned.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day.

Last edited by Sunscape; 11-03-2023 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 08:21 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
First, I would immediately remove your name from your post.

Now, as far as your choice of schools, your requirements are steep and immediately rule out public schools in any of the counties in this area, even charter schools.

If you're not willing or able to pay for a private education, (I could list several of the private schools in the Tampa area that have excellent liberal arts curriculums with the sort of approach and subject matter you're looking for) your only choice would be a parochial school of some sort, I would think. And "liberal arts" and religion rarely exist in the same place, so I think that's pretty darned unlikely.

Your choices?

1.) Lower your expectations/standards; or,

2.) Send your child to a school like Tampa Catholic, Jesuit, Berkely Prep, Corbett, etc., etc.

I worked in education administration in Hillsborough County for a number of years, as well as "moonlighting" at Corbett because the headmistress was a research partner.

RM

Old 11-22-2023, 11:30 PM

28 posts, read 38,001 times
Move to Hillsborough County... Brooks Debartolo CHS and Patel High School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay