Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 07:15 PM

251 posts, read 236,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
How much cash do you have?
From this description everything seems to be on a borderline.
But if you are already used to mobile home settings, why not to go off grid?
Just look for an off grid land for cheap and buy with cash.
Then get trailer or build more permanent structure for cash.
I have just over 150 grand that I can comfortably spend BUT my goal would be to have monthly expenses less than 400 a month, which is doable because everything I have is paid for>>> this way I can save $$ every month and still be comfortable.
there is no cheap land I have been looking and a new home is 200,000 or more!! I will take my time I am in better shape than most and grateful BUT I know what I want to do to be comfortable into my 80s and save $$ every month and still enjoy my life and not sacrifice on what I want to do and be financially in good shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 08:32 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
I have just over 150 grand that I can comfortably spend BUT my goal would be to have monthly expenses less than 400 a month, which is doable because everything I have is paid for>>> this way I can save $$ every month and still be comfortable.
there is no cheap land I have been looking and a new home is 200,000 or more!! I will take my time I am in better shape than most and grateful BUT I know what I want to do to be comfortable into my 80s and save $$ every month and still enjoy my life and not sacrifice on what I want to do and be financially in good shape.
150K cash is decent for off grid. And that assumes no monthly payments for dwelling, except small property tax once a year.
Maybe not in Tampa Bay, but there are some cheaper rural areas in FL

Old 12-19-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
150K cash is decent for off grid. And that assumes no monthly payments for dwelling, except small property tax once a year.
Maybe not in Tampa Bay, but there are some cheaper rural areas in FL
Due to family issues and other things, we need to be in Polk county.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:56 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Oh so that seems not to be in Tampa Bay.
Should be even easier, cause I see that county is further inland.

Fresh article: guy lived off grid in Orlando.
https://www.businessinsider.com/live...ricity-2023-12

So everything is possible, especially with 150K cash.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:13 AM

679 posts, read 877,819 times
Quote:
When you say you can spend 400 a month for expenses, what does that mean exactly? Lot rent/HOA fees/ property tax/insurance? Your insurance is likely to be $1500 to 2500 per annum on a manufactured home. Electric, other utilities? Just wondering what you think 400 a month will cover. Apologies if you’ve answered this and I missed it.

Old 12-23-2023, 01:06 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,957 times
The think with Citizens is they are raising rates significantly each year and the state is pushing them to shed policies through depopulation. As part of that other companies will offer to take over your policy. If their offer is not more than 20% higher than your current rate you must accept it. Citizens will drop you regardless if you accept it or not at that point.
Although your scenario is unlikely to be the primary focus of the depop companies.

Old 12-23-2023, 02:14 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Just because something is within your budget does not mean it is a bargain. Curb appeal and decent furniture are lipstick on a pig. Quick fixes for a sale. You have already discovered water damage under a sink. What else is under the skirting, in the walls?
It is not that difficult to take unpleasant odors out of an enclosure at least for a while.

Old 12-25-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Just because something is within your budget does not mean it is a bargain. Curb appeal and decent furniture are lipstick on a pig. Quick fixes for a sale. You have already discovered water damage under a sink. What else is under the skirting, in the walls?
It is not that difficult to take unpleasant odors out of an enclosure at least for a while.
Thats why I would get a full inspection

Old 12-25-2023, 08:09 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Thats why I would get a full inspection
I do not know when you bought your last home. Please read up on what a home inspector actually checks and what he is responsible for.

Old 12-26-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I do not know when you bought your last home. Please read up on what a home inspector actually checks and what he is responsible for.
I did and found one that will do everything we want and need should I go forward with this home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay