Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 12:21 PM

33 posts, read 56,896 times

Advertisements

Looking for good schools and athletics for family of 3 kids ages 9-15.

Good schools with a strong athletic department. Would rather suburbs of the Tampa area. Probably looking to rent first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 12:44 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
What’s your budget like?

Old 02-05-2024, 01:01 PM

Just looking for info on the schools and areas for now. Budget will be fine.

Old 02-05-2024, 01:08 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I lived in East Lake (North Pinellas) for a while up until recently. It's basically Markham Woods/Heathrow (since you're familiar with Orlando.) I'd move back there in a heartbeat. Great schools, very low crime, lots of sports programs, including some fairly high profile ones. If you're looking for suburbia, it's hard to beat.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:37 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMarc12 View Post
Just looking for info on the schools and areas for now. Budget will be fine.
You’ll probably want somewhere in the Plant High School District. It’s the top high school in Tampa Bay and I understand their athletics department is solid. South Tampa isn’t for everyone, but they do have the best schools if that’s your primary consideration.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
You’ll probably want somewhere in the Plant High School District. It’s the top high school in Tampa Bay and I understand their athletics department is solid. South Tampa isn’t for everyone, but they do have the best schools if that’s your primary consideration.
What would be the reasons that people generally wouldn’t like South Tampa?

Old 02-05-2024, 03:31 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMarc12 View Post
What would be the reasons that people generally wouldn’t like South Tampa?
I'm not sure there is room here to address that, but...

No, really, South Tampa is one of the more expensive areas in Tampa, it's populated by a strange mix of knockdown/new builds and bungalows from the 40s and 50s. It will be underwater in a large hurricane and is an evacuation zone, I believe. Congested and traffic is difficult, but for that matter, you can say that about the Tampa area in general.

Athletics differs by school. For instance, Armwood HS has one of the best football programs in the county, but I'm not sure I would send my kids there for academics, or any other sport. This is common across the school district. I can think of a few exceptions, like maybe Newsome HS, which is excellent academically ("A"-rated school as is Plant HS) as well as has a very strong athletic program. However, it's an outlier.

RM

Old 02-05-2024, 06:47 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Yes, essentially it’s an affluent area but isn’t particularly nice with all the dated shopping centers, poor roadways, and run down 50s era homes. Anywhere else in Florida this wealthy would have a high standard of living.

Plus, you’d be neighbors with sinatras…
Plus, I hear the Electric goes out all the time in south Tampa.....

Old 02-06-2024, 08:23 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Check out Safety Harbor. It's very family-friendly with nice neighborhoods, overall friendly residents (block parties are a big thing) and convenient to Tampa minus a ton of traffic. Countryside HS is well-rated (A-/B+ depending on rating site), has a well-established sports program and a more racially diverse student body versus East Lake or Palm Harbor University which tend very white. Safety Harbor and neighboring Oldsmar have world class youth recreation programs which include ice hockey, figure skating and BMX bikes besides the usuals like football, baseball, swimming and soccer.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:50 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Safety Harbor. It's very family-friendly with nice neighborhoods, overall friendly residents (block parties are a big thing) and convenient to Tampa minus a ton of traffic. Countryside HS is well-rated (A-/B+ depending on rating site), has a well-established sports program and a more racially diverse student body versus East Lake or Palm Harbor University which tend very white. Safety Harbor and neighboring Oldsmar have world class youth recreation programs which include ice hockey, figure skating and BMX bikes besides the usuals like football, baseball, swimming and soccer.
Vinny Prospal (Ex-NHL star) coaches at TBSA Oldsmar.

As for East Lake/Palm Harbor being very white, I agree with you fully there. That being said, I never felt out of place, or "unwanted" there. Didn't seem like anyone really paid that sort of stuff any mind. Most people living there aren't "from the South," if that makes any difference. But you're right nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay