Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Tampa grow into a world-class city???
YES 19 34.55%
NO 36 65.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 10:59 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGenious25 View Post
To be honest, if St. Pete get it's act together, (they already have the bones and layout for quality urban density) they can easily pass Tampa.
St. Pete has serious infrastructure issues. More than 40% is prone to flooding for one thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNIMhYI3aEQ

It is on a built out peninsula, and also has problems with sewage. There are also issues with drinking water quality. Yet they keep building and building. They can't pass Tampa, but it could just become all one large area if they can address the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 03:18 PM

95 posts, read 83,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
St. Pete has serious infrastructure issues. More than 40% is prone to flooding for one thing:

It is on a built out peninsula, and also has problems with sewage. There are also issues with drinking water quality. Yet they keep building and building. They can't pass Tampa, but it could just become all one large area if they can address the issues.
i can walk around downtown St Pete for the most part. Walking around downtown Tampa is torture.

Old 03-25-2024, 03:33 PM

137 posts, read 43,609 times
Quote:
i can walk around downtown St Pete for the most part. Walking around downtown Tampa is torture.
This I can certainly agree with.

Old 03-25-2024, 04:02 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:

Poor schools and crime in St. Pete are probably bigger issues. I understand flooding is bad in Shore Acres but flooding is bad in a lot of cities.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Poor schools and crime in St. Pete are probably bigger issues. I understand flooding is bad in Shore Acres but flooding is bad in a lot of cities.
I agree, schools are bad and so is crime. Bug again the flooding is only part of the issue. They are now building HUGE condo towers turning St. Pete into another "playground for the rich" and yet the infrastructure is sorely lacking. With all the addition population coming, it is going to be a logistical nightmare.

Sewage problems, and this is not an isolated incident:

https://stpetecatalyst.com/city-offi...-leak-impacts/

St. Pete imports 100% of its drinking water! St. Pete is in a water use caution area.

https://www.stpete.org/residents/sus...tion/index.php

I do not know or understand how they can in good conscience be rubber stamping approval for all of these thousands of new condos. Being married to an architect who worked for government for many years makes me acutely aware of these type issues (and not just in St. Pete)

Old 03-25-2024, 08:13 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
I agree, schools are bad and so is crime. Bug again the flooding is only part of the issue. They are now building HUGE condo towers turning St. Pete into another "playground for the rich" and yet the infrastructure is sorely lacking. With all the addition population coming, it is going to be a logistical nightmare.

Sewage problems, and this is not an isolated incident:

https://stpetecatalyst.com/city-offi...-leak-impacts/

St. Pete imports 100% of its drinking water! St. Pete is in a water use caution area.

https://www.stpete.org/residents/sus...tion/index.php

I do not know or understand how they can in good conscience be rubber stamping approval for all of these thousands of new condos. Being married to an architect who worked for government for many years makes me acutely aware of these type issues (and not just in St. Pete)
While they do import their water, this is actually one of the few smart things the city has done. They’ve always had a limited water supply so they had the foresight to purchase properties with springs in Hillsborough and Pasco that could serve as a source of fresh water in the future.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
To be honest, if St. Pete get it's act together, (they already have the bones and layout for quality urban density) they can easily pass Tampa.
This section of the forum is about Tampa Bay metro area. By definition it includes St. Pete

The question is not if Tampa alone can become world class but the entire metro area.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:49 AM

No, the title of this thread is "Can Tampa grow into a world class city" It says nothing about the "metro area" and the boundaries of that are open to debate.

Anyway, the answer is no, not anytime soon. Miami is the only city in Florida with that distinction. I just read that it is now the #2 most desirable city in the world for global relocation, second to Dubai.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:16 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
No, the title of this thread is "Can Tampa grow into a world class city" It says nothing about the "metro area" and the boundaries of that are open to debate.

Anyway, the answer is no, not anytime soon. Miami is the only city in Florida with that distinction. I just read that it is now the #2 most desirable city in the world for global relocation, second to Dubai.

The boundaries of Tampa Metro area are not debatable, they include the cities of Tampa, St Petersburg and Clearwater (Tampa–St. Petersburg–Clearwater Metropolitan Statistical Area or MSA for short).
What is debatable is to include Sarasota in the less restrictive demographical boundaries of the Tampa Bay area.

All the "World Class" cities are such in their entirety with their metropolitan area. for example, Sydney proper is a relatively small town. Same thing for San Francisco proper.

All these stats (most livable, most desirable, etc..) are mostly marketing BS.

In 2021 a global survey put Tampa ahead of Miami...go figure.....again, mostly BS.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:37 AM

95 posts, read 83,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
The boundaries of Tampa Metro area are not debatable, they include the cities of Tampa, St Petersburg and Clearwater (Tampa–St. Petersburg–Clearwater Metropolitan Statistical Area or MSA for short).
What is debatable is to include Sarasota in the less restrictive demographical boundaries of the Tampa Bay area.

All the "World Class" cities are such in their entirety with their metropolitan area. for example, Sydney proper is a relatively small town. Same thing for San Francisco proper.

All these stats (most livable, most desirable, etc..) are mostly marketing BS.

In 2021 a global survey put Tampa ahead of Miami...go figure.....again, mostly BS.
you're not going to include Fort Lauderdale when talking about Miami as a world class city, so no, you're wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay