Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:18 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I would think that in any area, those would be the rules people would live by. Since some people don't want to live by such conventions (which is merely respecting your neighbor) then others choose to live in a place where everyone knows the rules up front and agrees to them. Your friend agreed to those rules. Did he not read them and expect them to be enforced? Did he figure they didn't apply to him? Did anyone force him to live there?

If you like living in a community that looks nice and clean and well kept, and you know your neighbors feel the sam way, then living in a place with rules is nice. If you don't want to live that way, or if you don't want that, don't live there. It's all about choice.
If I want to park a boat in my driveway, I'm gonna do it. If I wanna skip a week mowing my grass, I'm gonna do it. If it bothers you, oh well, get a life.
It is all about choice, my choice.

Some people need to be part of a herd, some wanna be individuals. In the end, you have to decide which type of person you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 11:09 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
If I want to park a boat in my driveway, I'm gonna do it. If I wanna skip a week mowing my grass, I'm gonna do it. If it bothers you, oh well, get a life.
This is why people like restrictions. Not mowing your yard impacts your neighbors. What isf they were trying to sell their house? You've lowered their value. It's okay to do what you want, but you should always consider how your actions affect others.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:18 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:

Some people need to be part of a herd, some wanna be individuals. In the end, you have to decide which type of person you are.
That is why we need HOA rules because of people like you who shouldn't buy into a Deed restricted community. If you don't want obey therules you signed your self... without having a gun to your head...it means you are a piece of... and you just want to annoy the people who chose to live like what they signed for. Just stay out and every one can be happy. You too will be more happy than waste your time annoying others.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
This is why people like restrictions. Not mowing your yard impacts your neighbors. What isf they were trying to sell their house? You've lowered their value. It's okay to do what you want, but you should always consider how your actions affect others.
What potential buyers of the neighbors house, need to understand is that at times I can and will skip a week mowing my grass. If they want to pass on the house deal because of that, well so much the better. I wouldn't have wanted them in my neighborhood anyway.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
That is why we need HOA rules because of people like you who shouldn't buy into a Deed restricted community. If you don't want obey therules you signed your self... without having a gun to your head...it means you are a piece of... and you just want to annoy the people who chose to live like what they signed for. Just stay out and every one can be happy. You too will be more happy than waste your time annoying others.

I love having neighbors like you. Often times I will do things that deliberately irritate them, just so they can squirm like little kids who have to pee.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Thumbs down You Gotta Be Kidding

Quote:

No matter where you live....if you do not maintain your property... someone is going to complain the county officals/HOA/etc...and force you to do it...and/or they will hire someone to do it for you...and then guess who gets the bill????..... YOU DO...and before you say you won't pay it...the courts have already ruled on numerous occasions that the county/hoa/etc..can...do it and YOU HAVE TO PAY!!!!

Perhaps someday..when you buy a home of your own..you will appreciate your neighbors keeping their place as clean as your's...

Old 06-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
No matter where you live....if you do not maintain your property... someone is going to complain the county officals/HOA/etc...and force you to do it...and/or they will hire someone to do it for you...and then guess who gets the bill????..... YOU DO...and before you say you won't pay it...the courts have already ruled on numerous occasions that the county/hoa/etc..can...do it and YOU HAVE TO PAY!!!!

Perhaps someday..when you buy a home of your own..you will appreciate your neighbors keeping their place as clean as your's...
I own my own home. I have bought and sold many houses. I keep it cleaner and more kept up than most people do. But that doesn't mean I won't do something I want with my own property.

I am well aware the city can fine you for not keeping your property up. That's not what i'm saying. I'm not talking about living in a slum or never cutting the grass.
I'm talking about a homeowner who has different views on what is considered acceptable in terms of how the house appears to everyone else.

I don't understand why individuality is such a hard concept for folks to understand. This used to be America.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:00 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Thumbs up And Thankfully Still Is America

Quote:
I own my own home. I have bought and sold many houses. I keep it cleaner and more kept up than most people do. But that doesn't mean I won't do something I want with my own property.

I am well aware the city can fine you for not keeping your property up. That's not what i'm saying. I'm not talking about living in a slum or never cutting the grass.
I'm talking about a homeowner who has different views on what is considered acceptable in terms of how the house appears to everyone else.

I don't understand why individuality is such a hard concept for folks to understand. This used to be America.
I can agree in concept with some of your thoughts...for there are always gonna be people who have absolutely nothing to do...but complain about something...even if there is nothing to complain about...and I agree with you that you should be allowed to do what ever you want to your property...within the legal limits....but that is why people buy in a HOA controlled development....so that people cannot do what ever they want!!

We live in a allegedly upscale townhouse community that for many years ran amok...parking/garbage/kids/dogs/you name it...the new board took control and began enforing the HOA Rules...ISSUING FINES/ETC... and took back the neighborhood about a year ago....some say they went too far and others say not far enough...but since they were all elected for a second term...I would have to say our development will continue to improve...but what I have learned from all of this is "I WILL NEVER LIVE IN A COMMUNITY THAT IS CONTROLLED BY A HOA"....

So as you can see...I agree with your concept of not having someone tell me when I can put the garbage out...or where I can park my car...so as you said..."This use to be America" and I think it still is...and using my free right to choose....I chose never to live in a HOA Controlled Community again....how about you???

Old 06-08-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I can agree in concept with some of your thoughts...for there are always gonna be people who have absolutely nothing to do...but complain about something...even if there is nothing to complain about...and I agree with you that you should be allowed to do what ever you want to your property...within the legal limits....but that is why people buy in a HOA controlled development....so that people cannot do what ever they want!!

We live in a allegedly upscale townhouse community that for many years ran amok...parking/garbage/kids/dogs/you name it...the new board took control and began enforing the HOA Rules...ISSUING FINES/ETC... and took back the neighborhood about a year ago....some say they went too far and others say not far enough...but since they were all elected for a second term...I would have to say our development will continue to improve...but what I have learned from all of this is "I WILL NEVER LIVE IN A COMMUNITY THAT IS CONTROLLED BY A HOA"....

So as you can see...I agree with your concept of not having someone tell me when I can put the garbage out...or where I can park my car...so as you said..."This use to be America" and I think it still is...and using my free right to choose....I chose never to live in a HOA Controlled Community again....how about you???

Yes, I chose long ago not to live in such an area.
You have to be honest with yourself when it comes to deed restrictions. I still know and meet people who move into such places with all the best intentions, but end up hating it.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,144 times
Default depends on the rules..

When I first moved down here - I wanted a strict deed restricted community - that is it - no ifs ands or butts about it. Now... forget about it!

Of course I want my neightborhood to look nice and I think some restrictions are neccessary. But come on. You have to be honest. Some of the rules are own right stupid and insane.

OK - I get you can't park your car in front of your house. What if your driveway is occuppied? What, you aren't allowed to have company then?

I didn't even get a list of restrictions until I was at closing - by then it was too late. I can't have a basketball hoop out - day or night. I had to get permission just to put a little tykes play house in my backyard for my 3 year old. I have to ask if and where it is ok to plant a tree in my back yard. These are just some of the insane communistic restrictions that are out there.

Do your homework! I wish I had done more research prior to picking my community. I would have picked one with a little more of a realistic approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay