Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 PM

128 posts, read 394,916 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I would really appreicate some help and guidance on our retirment spot. Both in our mid-late 50's. Owned a condo in Sarasota which we sold- - liked Sarasota but thought it was way overpriced for what one got in a single family home with a pool.
Don't know much about Tampa, know nothing about Jax.

We are looking for warm as we live in NJ and the winters are not fun. WOuld like normal, down to earth people- - no snobs or rednecks.

We would like to get P/T jobs - - nothing big. I am working for a large pharma organization, so something less stressful.

We love the beach, kayak, good resturants, excellent medical care and reasonable housing, taxes and hurricane insurance. We want a newer single family 2500 sq ft house with pool for around 350-400K

Does anything like my description above exist and can people let me know what communities would make sense.

Thanks so much!
SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 07:46 AM

367 posts, read 1,687,604 times
Tons of those around the area (homes) can't say what you think is reasonable on tax and insurance. Just ask any insurance broker, and ask them for an estimate.
You can see taxes on the local tax appraisers sites. I'm referring to Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete. I think this area is less expensive than Sarasota. Jax has more cooler winters than the West Coast from Tampa down.
All are good possibles, with Bay area and Jax more likely to offer greater job opps, as they are larger connurbations.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 65,469 times
Jacksonville is pretty cold in the winter, so i say tampa bay area.

taxes seem to be high though if you ask me.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:09 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyart View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I would really appreicate some help and guidance on our retirment spot. Both in our mid-late 50's. Owned a condo in Sarasota which we sold- - liked Sarasota but thought it was way overpriced for what one got in a single family home with a pool.
Don't know much about Tampa, know nothing about Jax.

We are looking for warm as we live in NJ and the winters are not fun. WOuld like normal, down to earth people- - no snobs or rednecks.

We would like to get P/T jobs - - nothing big. I am working for a large pharma organization, so something less stressful.

We love the beach, kayak, good resturants, excellent medical care and reasonable housing, taxes and hurricane insurance. We want a newer single family 2500 sq ft house with pool for around 350-400K

Does anything like my description above exist and can people let me know what communities would make sense.

Thanks so much!
SC
I think something in the Tampa Bay/St. Pete area would suit all your needs nicely.

Lots more choices for affordable housing, closer to beaches, more job opportunities, things to do, etc. I am sure one of our nice realtors on this board could recommend areas to look based on your criteria.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:33 PM

128 posts, read 394,916 times
Thanks, everyone- -

I posted another thread to give people some more info about my husband and I and what we are looking for in Tampa. A realtor would be great!!!!

Regards,
Sandy

Old 06-18-2008, 07:25 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
We have several realtors on City-data who post valuable info. Most specialize in one city or the other. You can tell the ones by the little house icon next to their name. Most have received good reviews from our members who have used them

Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Smile Get A Buyer's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyart View Post
Thanks, everyone- -

I posted another thread to give people some more info about my husband and I and what we are looking for in Tampa. A realtor would be great!!!!

Regards,
Sandy
There are plenty of Real Estate Agents on this site...but if you want one to work for you....and you only....get a buyyer's Agent...the Seller's Agent...works for the seller and as such cannot give you answers to some questions you may have...a Buyer's Agent works for you...it does not cost you anything....and a Buyer's agent is obligated to get you the best price and can tell you things that a seller's agent cannot.......the better move...

Old 06-19-2008, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Pete727 View Post
Jacksonville is pretty cold in the winter, so i say tampa bay area.

taxes seem to be high though if you ask me.
I don't know if I agree about Jax getting all that cold...I lived there for 8 years, and i only remember one cold winter. You can wear shorts about 1/2 the time even in Jan/Feb. No, you can't swim all year round like you can in Miami, but it is still nice weather, and a slight change of seasons can be a nice thing.

Jax will have the lowest cost of living of the 3 cities. If money is a factor to you in retirement that will be important. About the only thing Jax is really lacking in is culture...you won't find many world-class museums, theater, etc. there. But, you will find there is plenty to do, generally friendly people, and some very nice areas if you look for them. Oh, and the homeowners insurance in Jax is bound to be a lot cheaper, too. One of the least hit parts of FL.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:21 AM

48 posts, read 116,556 times
I would definitely look at the Clearwater area. Great beaches any many nice neighborhoods. Homeowners' insurance has gone through the roof. You might pay $3,000/yr. on a nice home.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,478 times
I don't think Jacksonville proper is a an ideal place to retire at all. At least, it isn't where I'd want to spend my retirement.

However, have you considered a little further south of Jax... like the Palm Coast area? It is in Flagler County and seems to be popular with retirees. They have beaches, golf, etc. The drawback is that it is a bit of a hike up to Jax for all the heavy duty shopping and so forth. It is probably (very roughly) about the same distance if you went south, down to the Daytona area.

On the other hand, if you guys are younger retirees, maybe you don't want to live around a bunch of other older retirees, like you'll find in areas that heavily cater to retirees. It just depends. Might be worth taking an exploratory trip and spending a couple nights in each place, basically trying to do the things you'd do if you lived there.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay