U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,967 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are 28 years old and relocating to Florida in November. We are looking in the area of Clearwater to Tarpon Springs and everywhere in between. We are wondering what everyones take on a nice community with things to do like shopping, low key bars, restuarants etc. We do not like to be in a big city but small towns to small cities are fine with us. Any advice on where to look and what the communities are like would be great help.

From what I have read it looks like Palm Harbor or Dunedin are some very nice places to live. ANy feedback?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 AM

367 posts, read 1,574,659 times
There are many areas of Pinellas county you would like. Come down for a visit and find a good person to show you around. There are different aspects to each of the communities that make up our county and each of the cities have their own character. PH and Dunedin are nice, but there are other areas too that you would like. I don't think anywhere in the countyfeels particularly 'big city' but lots of places feel like small town, and many have nice downtowns too. Nowhere is that far to drive too either. But if you work north county, best not to live south county - just for your rush hour sanity

Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 AM

3 posts, read 6,967 times
From what I have read it looks like Dunedin, Palm Harbor, and Tarpon Springs are great places to live. I have been looking at houses and some forclosures and it seems like you get more bang for your buck in Tarpon Springs. Any feedback on that?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,578,819 times
It depends on what you're looking for. The areas near downtown Dunedin are not likely to lose value, but they're also more expensive than, say, outlying parts of Dunedin or Tarpon. Do you want subdivision or town? New construction or charm? Walkability or a three car garage?
If you want to be able to hang out in a neighborhood Irish pub and walk home after a couple of Black & Tans, you want downtown Dunedin. If you want to get to Target easily and park your two cars and a boat under cover, look further out. As for downtown Tarpon/Sponge Docks...it will help your social life immeasurably if you speak Greek.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:02 PM

104 posts, read 341,958 times
If you like a small town feel with things to do while you are still close the beach, I would recommend Dunedin. Palm Harbor lacks the neighborhood feel. This area continues to improve with plent to do. Check out the Creative Loafing Commentary on Dunedin Creative Loafing Tampa | Special Sections | Urban Explorer's Handbook 2008 | Dunedin Map You might also enjoy some of the areas around Old North East near downtown St. Pete.

Good luck

Old 06-17-2008, 07:49 PM

944 posts, read 3,612,963 times
Scooperman, downtown Dunedin isn't as happening as people are saying. I've been through there quite a few times, and it's usually full of boomers loafing, or nobody at all. Dunedin looks great, and is totally walkable, but...

For a young couple, Clearwater Beach would be good (not always low-key). Whatever you decide, I recommend you be as close to work as possible. Commuting here is crazy.

I would also add downtown St. Pete to your list (north side). Lots of low-key stuff there. I happen to love St. Pete Beach, but I have an unusually high tolerance for tourists. Pass-A-Grille is entirely low-key, but expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or