Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 10:49 AM

33 posts, read 38,642 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm currently living in Chicago and cannot take it anymore. I've only been here two years, but it's incredibly depressing. I need to move back to a city where I can be outside all year. I'm considering the Tampa Bay area strictly because of the weather and proximity to the beach. I have visited once but stuck mostly to the Clearwater area. I'm a single 30 year old female with no kids. I'm wondering if Tampa caters more to families and will be difficult to meet other single child free people like myself. I'm not too into the bar scene anymore. I prefer outdoor activities like jogging, hiking, paddle boarding or going to sporting events. I love baseball and basketball. It seems like Tampa would be perfect, but since I don't know anyone there I am a little worried it might be lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 11:12 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_nc23 View Post

Want to move to warmer climate and considering Tampa
Better like the heat because it gets hotter than hell starting about mid April through mid October.....the humidity is unbearable. Just wanted to warn you. We see a lot of mid winter posts about coming here and by April those posts seem to stop until the following winter.

This place is can also get depressing as well.....the sense of community is missing. Be very selective where exactly you'd like to live around here. I'd focus maybe on the Sarasota downtown area - if you can afford it. I like the feel of Sarasota, but live about 30 miles north of there.

There are plenty of kayaking places around Sarasota/Bradenton. Plenty of walking areas along the water. Spring training baseball is here all of March with a lot of different teams, then the Rays play all season over at St Pete. Oh yeah, downtown St Pete is also kind of nice -

Maybe someone younger than myself on this forum can tell you the best way to meet people your age.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:18 AM

33 posts, read 38,642 times
Thanks for the reply. The heat isn't a problem. I love 90 degrees with humidity. I used to live in South Carolina and Texas and love the long hot summers.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
With the number of fellow Americans also moving to Florida in particular the Tampa Bay area because they cant deal with cold any more i'd suggest you hurry up and make that move before the no vacancy signs start going up.
If its heat and humidity you're after Tampa will not disappoint.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:55 AM

809 posts, read 746,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_nc23 View Post
Hi all! I'm currently living in Chicago and cannot take it anymore. I've only been here two years, but it's incredibly depressing.
Hi. I spent a couple of years in the near north side and even though I grew up in a coldish NYC suburb, that Chicago experience convinced me to never do winter again!

But be careful what you choose. From your comments at:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l#post42925808

I think you should try the St. Pete area if you are still interested in Florida. As many others have mentioned on city-data, if you can, try renting in an area before you commit.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2016, 02:44 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Hi. I spent a couple of years in the near north side and even though I grew up in a coldish NYC suburb, that Chicago experience convinced me to never do winter again!

But be careful what you choose. From your comments at:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l#post42925808

I think you should try the St. Pete area if you are still interested in Florida. As many others have mentioned on city-data, if you can, try renting in an area before you commit.

Good luck!
I can't believe that I am saying this but after reading the "I don't know where to move" thread, I think Tampa Bay may be the perfect one for you.

BTW, this I want to move to Tampa threads are becoming predictable not just by the question but with the answer and the subsequent questions and answers. One could easily train a pattern rule-based recognition tool and could answer these as well for us.

It goes like this.....

Sometime between December to February people start posting I am tired of the winter crap and want to move to Florida threads....

While the thread is still open

Someone "local" remind them it is really hot and muggy here for a bout six month....

Then OP would come back and assert how they enjoy heat and humidity and, in fact, they thrive in 90F

Then one of the ex Tampa resident would pop up and warn the OP how everything got old in no time and they left for milder weather and how a $8/hr job make life hell on top of weather

OP would come back and say they know what they are getting into and they could make it work..

This will go on for some time....before someone pop and says everywhere is the same it is what you make out of it. How if you aren't happy where you are, no guarantee you would somewhere. In fact, the problem is in you....

Then it repeats.....until you know..

END

Old 02-20-2016, 03:30 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Seems the OP will love our reverse west windflow pattern most of the summer.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:41 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Do keep in mind that most Tampa residents do not live within proximity to the beach. And the neighborhoods that would be good for a young single person aren't close to the beach either. So be prepared to do a lot of driving.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:45 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Well, I'm a bit on the more senior side of the population cohort, and snowbird in the Tampa area, where I have a condo and keep my sailboat.

Ditto on the heat and humidity aspect. Oh, and in the summers, you don't need a watch. Promptly at 4:30 the thunderstorms start, and end no later than 7:00. Hockey's Tampa Bay Lighting are called that for a reason.

As far as activities, where does one start? Even though it is a huge metro area, with about 4.5 million in the greater bay surrounds, there are lots of outdoor activities. Many music fests, art fests, farmer markets, great bike riding areas, kayaking down rivers, fishing, sailing, hiking etc. I do all of that, and thoroughly enjoy the variety.

What amazes me is how many (but not all) of the locals are not even aware of some of the venues and areas, especially the nature ones, that are really close by. St. Petersburg has a wonderful harbor area around the Vinoy, with a lot of quaint and eclectic shops and restaurants, some even affordable. If I was allowed, (I can only stay 6 months because I'm Canadian), I would live here most of the time, going back only to visit my kids/grandkids.

Real estate is cheap in many parts, especially compared to Chicago. The very well maintained and run condo I have (which by the way, has 1/3 of the units open to all ages) one can buy a nicely upgraded 2 bedroom for $50-60,000. Condo fees of $238/month, including water.

Negatives?

Drivers here think tailgating is a required skill, and don't have a clue what a signal light is. That being said, if you do signal to change lanes, they always let you in... probably because they are surprised anyone would actually do that. Also, watch out for the blue haired grannies; they can drive you nuts with their driving skills, or lack there of. It DOES take a long time to get anywhere if driving during rush hours, but I guess Chicago has the same problems.

So, not sure if I answered any questions, but glad to answer any you might have.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:02 PM

149 posts, read 145,244 times
I hate humid weather but that's just me. If you can handle Texas you can handle Florida...Texas humidity makes Florida look like sissy weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay