U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:45 PM

17 posts, read 117,075 times

Advertisements

So I have been in Tampa for 3 weeks now on a "fact finding" mission. I'm staying at an extended in hotel and trying to see how real life is here, not just a beach vacation in Clearwater.

So far I have mixed feelings. For one Tampa seems very boring to me. Not much to do here for a 26 year old single male. The outside areas like Clearwater/ St. Pete are better but they are 15-20 miles away and with gas prices at $4.00 a gallon..... The same goes with the beach. I used to think the beaches were closer then what they really are but it takes about 40 mins to get to one. Sure you can swim in the bay but there are really no beaches and the little ones that there are ugly. I went to one the other day and there were a bunch of drunks in the water drinking.

As for night life Tampa has Ybor city. I was not impressed. Maybe its because I'm used to New York City's night life but Ybor just seemed like a "wanna be" party street. The same goes with the people that were there. Also no one cares that your driving around in your "cool" 1992 Toyota Camry, turn down the rap music.

As for people in Tampa, many of them are rude and very unfriendly. I joined a big gym and I try to hold the door open for people or smile at them and trying to make small talk trying to be nice and make friends and I get nothing. Not a thank you or a hello. In NJ/NY when you hold the door open for someone it's courtesy to say thank you.In the gym people take your weights without asking if your using them and look at you rude if you tell them that you are using them, even if you offer them to work in with them. And again a lot of "wanna be" type people. I've noticed in Tampa neither you a red neck or a thug and Ive even seen some red neck thugs. Guys you live in Tampa, if you think your cool go walk around Brooklyn acting tough, see how long you last. I saw a spray paint of a gang on the side of a building called "The Town & Country Boyz"...I laughed.

Weather in Tampa is typical Florida weather. I am here in June so that means one thing, thunderstorms everyday at 5pm. The days start off beautiful but the clouds come in and around 5pm it starts thundering and it goes from 90 to 75 degrees which is nice though. If your coming on vacation to Tampa in the summer I suggest waking up early everyday and enjoying yourself before the late afternoon thunder.

Driving in Tampa isn't bad. I was worried about traffic from reading these forums and compared to the Northeast all I can say is...what traffic? I've been out in the morning rush hour and afternoon rush hour and it is NOTHING compared to NYC. The roads are also somewhat good shape, better then the Miami area in my opinion.

Jobs in Tampa lack the total compensation of jobs else where. I went on an interview for a job in the same field as I have back home and they were offering $15,000 less a year, while the drive is longer and the health care is weaker. Also the cost of living is not much different then the Northeast. Home prices a bit cheaper (not talking about Manhattan) then in the NJ/NY area but you still won't be living on thew Gulf. Food prices, gas, utilities (AC running 24hrs a day) are about the same if not more.

The Tampa Bay area is what it is. The Gulf Beaches are some of the nicest beaches I have ever seen. The water is hot, clear and Ive seen more Dolphins in the past 3 weeks then I have ever in my life. Caladesi Island is a paradise on this earth and Clearwater for a "city beach" is amazing. The bay is also beautiful for that it is. When I first got here I couldn't believe how big it was. Maybe I just need more time or maybe I just need to stop comparing Tampa to where I used to live, we'll see I have some time here left. Take my post for what it is, my opinion. I hope I didn't offend anyone and would be interested to hear what people think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 02:20 PM

7 posts, read 38,367 times
I agree with the general emphasis that people are rude down here. Its the number one complaint ive heard from transplants. Its personally the reason I want to get out of tampa, but I have a commitment with school for the time being. I cant say it gets any better, but after 6 years ive learned you find tiny pockets of friendly folks every blue moon.

I agree with you on the beaches and all. They are great.

Im originally from Atlanta, and can say its almost impossible to stop comparing it to tampa.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,559,083 times
You need to check out S. Tampa/Hyde Park for bars etc. Ybor is more for the college crowd IMHO unless you go early in the PM.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:35 PM

16,603 posts, read 36,018,435 times
Most of the "rude" people I've met here are transplants. Not saying every transplant is rude, not so, but the natives here are the friendliest you will ever meet, and plenty of nice people have moved here from somewhere else. Unfortunately, plenty of rude people have moved here as well.

I think as a young guy you just need to give it more time and maybe find yourself a neighborhood that suits you a little more. Also, as you said, it's best to try and NOT compare to "back home". It's a new environment, a new adventure, and if you give it time I think you will start to enjoy yourself.

As Keeper suggested, check out Hyde Park and South Tampa for more to do.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:01 PM

90 posts, read 334,106 times
Funny you mention the holding-the-door-open-rude thing. I've found the same thing myself, and being from NY I was shocked, since "we" are supposedly so mean, aggressive and rude.

I've taken to saying "YOU'RE WELCOME!" very loud every time it happens. Instead of a thank you, you get ignored or a dirty look. But it's not enough to make me stop being nice, even if I'm a mean, aggressive, rude New Yorker.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Most people are nice though, and the people who work at my local Publix just couldn't be friendlier. Just seems that when I go out of my way to do something nice for someone, they "dis" me.

Oh well, that's THEIR problem. I'm gonna go watch the dolphins play.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:19 AM

792 posts, read 2,180,605 times
Everyone who moves here, compares their old city/state to Florida. Maybe it's just a natural thing. There will always be things you like more about where you did live, than where you are now.
People tend to forget the bad stuff and remember the good stuff, once they move away from an area.

One things for sure, if New York was such a paradise, you and thousands of other New Yorkers wouldn't come here every year on "fact finding" missions.

That pretty much goes for every state east of Texas, and especially the northeast states.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:02 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,765,073 times
the ONLY reason anyone considers moving here is the weather from novemeber through april, period. if tampa had cold weather the city would be like detroit or gary indiana...wait a second, most of the city limits of tampa is like detroit or gary.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:21 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,058,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
the ONLY reason anyone considers moving here is the weather from novemeber through april, period. if tampa had cold weather the city would be like detroit or gary indiana...wait a second, most of the city limits of tampa is like detroit or gary.
I respectfully disagree with you. I've decided on the Tampa area for the following reasons:

1. 242 days per year of sunshine as opposed to 137 days where I've lived my entire life

2. warm weather year round not just in the winter months - there are seven months per year here that are too cold for me to go outside

3. the beaches are gorgeous there - no beach within hundreds of miles here

4. natural beauty - dolphins, palm trees, flowers, seabirds, etc.

5. no state income tax

6. availability of healthcare - hospitals nearby

7. close proximity of a major airport

8. slower pace/southern hospitality - everyone I've met in Florida so far has been nice and helpful

9. daily opportunities for walking, biking, gardening, and outdoor recreation

10. resources for seniors that I don't need now, but eventually I'll need

Old 06-15-2008, 09:42 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,028,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
LOL...your kidding, right ? Ive been through Gary and visited Detriot, i think you need to get out of where you are and explore the city and Bay area a little more of that is truly what you believe..

Regarding comparing Tampa to a city like New York would be like comapring Apples to Guava's(Tampa is nicknamed the Big Guava)...really though, how can you compare a city that has nearly 350k residents to a city with nearly 10 million.

Al i know is that in the 20 years of living here(originally from NY), I have found that there is most everything here that there is in any major city, BUT ON A MUCH MUCH SMALLER SCALE.

As far as nightlife and things to do, one only needs to look into the "calendar" and "things to do" and "attractions" sections of creativeloafing, tampabaytimes, tbo.com to see listings of all there is to do here in the Bay area. Ybor is only one area of Tampa, and to me its definitely not my first choice for nightlife, especially after midnight on weekends. THere are lots of pocket little neighborhoods in South Tampa with smaller bars/restaurants, live entertainment, etc., and then of course downtown St. Pete just across the Bay.

To the original poster I have to ask, what is it that you are looking for/to do to keep from boredom, and haven't found?

Tampa is defintiely not for everyone(thank goodness or it would be a bit crowded down here)...but I'm not sure I would compare to the likes of big cities like New York.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:45 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,559,083 times
I agree Tampa is nothing like Detroit and I have been there too.

I think you can find fault with any place, especially if you are looking for the bad and not the good things.

To the OP.. I always say 'Thank you' to anyone who holds a door for me, but there are far more who don't hold the door even if they know you are right behind them. I still hold doors for others because I want to, if they don't say thank you.. that is their problem not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay