Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 AM

436 posts, read 1,358,046 times

Advertisements

We passed the one year relocation mark mid -July so I thought I'd give you some perspectives on what it has been like for my family and me since moving from Philadelphia to Odessa, Florida. First of all, the people, especially the neighbors I have met have been friendly and helpful. The woman I met while obtaining auto insurance gave me some great advice on good doctors and dentists in the area. The schools in my area are great, rated A, but I knew this because I did my homework before moving. Traffic has not been bad, however, going to the Tampa airport during certain times of day has been tricky, so I had to allow for extra time if needed....same thing for the beach. Better to go during the week then on weekends. It was the same for us when we lived in Philadelphia and wanted to go to the Jersey shore. I have not, thank God, encountered any crime and feel very safe walking around my neighborhood even later at night as well as going shopping later at night. (Walmart is opened 24 hours!) My children have easily made nice new friends; and that was an initial primary concern for me, but thankfully that has worked out wonderfully. I am a teacher and found a job quite easily in Pasco County. I don't know how the other counties are doing with the real estate mess, but so far, Pasco continues to grow, just a lot slower than previously. I know Florida is rainy in the summer, but this summer seems more so than before. The native Floridians tell me its a good thing, but I have to admit some days I get disgusted with the rain. I look for my sunshine state, but I have to be patient and know that the rain is a necessity. The only real negative I have is my HOA. I live in a deed restricted community, and if I had to do it all over again, I would make sure I read all of the laws of the community. Some of the laws where I live are down-right ridiculous and as far as the outside of our homes go, we have very little freedom without asking for permission. I am not used to that, and often feel like it's a power trip on the Hoa's part. So if any of you are looking to move, make sure you check out HOA's. They can be a blessing in some areas (like not having your community turn into a dump), but they can be overly restricted like not being able to hang windchimes on your tree...(yes, I said wind chimes...ridiculous, huh?) Overall, however, I love my new home and new home state and hopefully my family and I will continue to feel this way for many years to come. Good luck to all of you out there planning your move to wherever your heart takes you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 AM

151 posts, read 798,967 times
Wind chimes???? Yikes! With all there is to investigate, I guess before an offer is made, we should look into these things to see if the neighborhood is too "Stepford" for us.......

Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 AM

151 posts, read 798,967 times
Whoops! Hit "post" too quickly .....meant to add a Thanks! for checking in--I have followed your postings and am glad to hear that you are happy overall with the move!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Margel - glad to hear you are happy here! I'm a native, and I think Florida is paradise...

Sorry about your Nazi-esque HOA. I personally would never live in a community with a strict and mandatory HOA. I like yard art and wind chimes and bright colors. I believe in keeping a place neat and tidy, but like to be able to express myself. We just bought another "vacation" home (after selling in Asheville) in an older neighborhood in Sarasota, with a voluntary HOA. I can live with their "restrictions" which are basically no commercial vehicles and no tall hedges or fences in the front yards - think that's about it except for keeping lawns mowed and no trash around!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,677,099 times
Margel, thanks for the update. I'm so glad you are happy in your new location. Relocating is a major step and even with the most meticulous research it can be stressful. You made a good point about reading the HOA documents. Most of us are just so thrilled to find a home we like, in a safe neighborhood that we can afford, that we overlook this. I guess I'd rather have no windchimes than living next to a car on blocks in the front yard, but that's just my POV. I hope your second year goes as well as your first!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:52 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
Margel.. glad you checked in and let us know how you were doing.
You might want to try Honeymoon Island for a beach. Traffic isn't as bad as trying to get to St. Pete or Clearwater. Yeah, HOAs are not all alike, but no windchimes is pretty extreme.

Gypsychic.. are you the one with all the pink flamingos in the yard..

Old 08-05-2008, 05:40 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post

Gypsychic.. are you the one with all the pink flamingos in the yard..
Hehehehe - busted!

Old 08-13-2008, 05:39 AM

89 posts, read 345,527 times
Glad to hear you're loving it! Have your children all adjusted? I'd love to know about the dentists and doctors that were recommended to you; especially dentists and dermatologists.

Sorry to hear about your HOA. That's horrible, banning wind chimes is ridiculous. Does your community have a website like mine does? That was one really big advantage that I could pull up the HOA rules and regulations before moving. There are wind chimes here....lol...

Old 08-13-2008, 06:03 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,164,099 times
Thanks for posting! I'm planning a move from Baltimore to Florida - most likely the Inverness area - next summer. It's a big move - maybe more so for you because you needed a job and have a family to consider, too. I will be a retiree, and my kids are adults. I will have to adjust to being so far away from everyone. Anyway, I'm glad to see things are working out for you.

And thanks for the tip about the HOA. I have pretty much decided that I'll take my chances and find a house in a neighborhood without one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay