Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 AM

239 posts, read 671,340 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Tampa and need to make a decision soon. We are a 30 something professional couple with a 4 year old. My job would be on Channelside near the port. What is this area called (downtown?). I would like to hear opinions about family friendly neighborhoods in the Tampa area. What areas/neighborhoods should I research? Ideally we would like good schools, short commute, safe family residential neighborhood. Anything like that nearby????? Thank you!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 PM

104 posts, read 366,575 times
If you are working in Channelside, South Tampa is a great area for families with great schools. If you dont like the urban older neighborhood feel there are some other choices relatively close like Carrollwood and Westchase (Westchase might be a bit of a drive) If you want more of a planned community feel with newer homes on larger lots, check out Brandon/Riverview ....this area does have tolls associated with coming into town. Another good area would be North Tampa/New Tampa which may have a little more traffic.

Let me know if I can help,

Steve

Old 06-19-2008, 01:48 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I agree with TampaSteve on the areas. S. Tampa has some nice areas and there are some pretty good schools. There is also a YMCA and several parks. S. Tpa would be the closes to your work. Brandon, Valrico or Riverview are less expensive and have newer nabes. Lots of young families in these areas with newer subdivisions especially in Riverview. Rent will be less in these areas but it will be a longer commute plus tolls if you use the expressway. I worked with several ppl who lived in this area who were your age and they loved living there.
Tampa is a nice city for its size. Violent crime is usually concentrated in a few areas.

Are you wanting a house or an apt? What is your price range?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Thank you Tampasteve! I was beginning to get worried when I had no responses. I thought maybe Tampa wasn't keen on families and what I was looking for didn't exist. Actually, I prefer the older urban established neighborhood feel so it sounds like South Tampa might be a good fit. Is South Tampa the actual name of the communty/city? Are their particiluar communities I should research (or avoid) within South Tampa?

Old 06-19-2008, 02:15 PM

Thank you Keeper! South Tampa sounds promising. We would probably rent to start. Our ideal rent would about $2000/month (more would be doable and less is always acceptable). Is there anything in that range in South Tampa. What would that get us? What is the general opinion of the schools there? Please feel free to be brutally honest as this is one of my primary concerns.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:27 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
Default S. Tampa/Carrollwood

S. Tampa or Carrollwood would be my choices, too, if you like the older/more established areas.

It really depends on budget and how much of a commute you want. Channelside is really close to Brandon. I worked in downtown Tampa and most of my coworkers lived in S. Tampa. Davis/Harbor Islands are also really pretty and very close by, but pricey.

New Tampa is mile after mile of Bruce B Downs (the road that's the only real way in and out) which includes housing at all price points and every chain retail outlet you can ever want. Very family oriented.

The only thing I have about S. Tampa is that you will pay a premium price for housing to be zoned into the best schools, and there are plenty of not-so-good schools in S. Tampa. Plant High is reputed to be WONDERFUL, but it'll cost you to be in that area....

So:

What do you want to spend?
How far do you want to commute?
What do you want for your money?

Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 PM

Default Housing $$

Thank you to all. We would like a 3BDR/2BA preferably a SFH but a nice townhouse would be okay as long as it had a yard. I just went to craigslist to get an idea of South Tampa and I saw alot in the $1500 - $2000 price range. (for example this: 3/3 @ oakellar at bailey for $1850). Is that nice? Ideally we would like to stay at $2000/month or less if possible and still get good schools. If there is an EXCELLENT school AND other desirable factors, we could go a bit higher.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:42 PM

Default PS: Commute

Oh Yes...and of course the shorter the commute the better

Old 06-19-2008, 03:12 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Very nice area of older homes and condos or townhomes near Bayshore Blvd. Good location, near grocery stores and restaurants. Not sure which school district but schools in that area are good.

There is a nice park not too far with a pier for fishing. Lots of ppl walk, ride bikes, rollerblade on Bayshore Blvd. The sidewalk is 4.5 miles right on Tampa Bay.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
I am betting you could get a 3/2 under $2000. Sometimes if you want more room in S. Tampa $2000 could be pushing it. I don't know if craigslist rentals tell you what school district you'll be in, but you can go to greatschools.net and check out schools. I think the Hillsborough county website will let you search for school assignments by address, too. It might be kind of a pain to match up great house to a great school b/c I don't know of any area that has universally great schools. But there are great schools to be found in each area.

I know Mabry Elementary is supposed to be wonderful. We looked in that area for a while; there are certainly some very charming, established neighborhoods there.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay