Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:43 AM

16 posts, read 43,902 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Florida from Michigan in October 2008. My mother and I are both moving. We aren't sure what would be the best place for a retired person, as well as someone in their early 30s. We have looked at Lakeland, Tampa, Orlando, and Sarasota. We didn't like Orlando. I need to be close to decent jobs. I got a quote on car insurance in Tampa which was about $2000 a year for a Honda Civic which is much higher than in Michigan. We also want a safe neighborhood to live in with affordable housing. Any suggestions on a good place for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
We live in Lakeland, and hubby commutes to Tampa for work. He doesn't mind the drive (about 45 minutes) it is all easy interstate, with very few traffic clogs. Car insurance as well as house insurance and taxes are all lower in Lakeland (Polk County) than Tampa or any of the other towns you mentioned. Quality of life is very nice here, it's much cleaner and less crime than Tampa or Orlando.

I don't know what your line of work is, but that may factor where you live. There is no job market in Sarasota, and cost of living there is very high (especially housing, taxes and ins.) Tampa will have the best job market, but if you are in medical you can easily find work here in Lakeland.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:54 PM

15 posts, read 225,975 times
I am from Michigan and moved to Florida two years ago for a teaching job! All I can say is, Tampa or Bust! The Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area, where I am, is rude and unfriendly. The cost of living is also outrageous! I cannot ever pay my bills. Rent on a 1/1 is $1000/month, easily. In Michigan 2 years ago I was paying $550 for a nice 1/1. The cost of living will be higher than Michigan no matter where in Florida you go, but there are definitely areas that are not as bad. Ft. Myers is cheaper, as are parts of Tampa, Sarasota is expensive and old, from what I know. Naples is beautiful and upscale, but not as expensive as Miami. Just stay away from Miami, Ft Lauderdale, West Palm, and Boca! They will either be a culture shock for you or cost you a fortune to live! Overall, I have thought of the areas surrounding Tampa as ideal. Seems like the northern suburbs are nice, as well as St. Pete and Clearwater. Good luck! You will enjoy the warm weather and all the palm trees. I don't think I will ever miss the snow!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:43 PM

Thanks so much for the information on the area. I think I will look around the Lakeland/Tampa area for jobs, as I am seeing that Sarasota isn't the best for looking for decent paying jobs. Are there nice apartment complexes around Lakeland? Thanks. Amy

Old 07-05-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2003 View Post
Thanks so much for the information on the area. I think I will look around the Lakeland/Tampa area for jobs, as I am seeing that Sarasota isn't the best for looking for decent paying jobs. Are there nice apartment complexes around Lakeland? Thanks. Amy
Amy - yes, there are some very nice apartments in Lakeland depending on budget and where you want to live. One that comes to mind is Willowbrooke, which is near the Polk Parkway (easy access to Tampa) and the beautiful new Lakeside Village Shopping Center.

Welcome

Downtown also has a GORGEOUS renovated and restored historic apartment building called Lake Mirror tower, a little pricier but great ambiance and location. Couldn't find a website, but here is a link with a little info:

Lake Mirror Tower in Lakeland, FL

Hope this helps!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for the information on apartments. I am going to check those out. Do you think I will have a problem finding a full-time job in the Lakeland area. Currently, I am working for the County in administrative support, but have my Bachelor's Degree in Food Marketing.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:28 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
You may also like to check into the Brandon area. I'm much more familar with Lakeland than Brandon. I shop both places when needed. Brandon is closer to the beaches and Tampa jobs. Lakeland is growing though.

My wife and I left FL for MI in Dec of '64. Culture shock is both ways. My biggest mistake was bellying up to the counter at an old fashioned diner and ordering "Iced Tea" in December! ! It was out of season. You will not find that in FL though. No need to pack the ice scrapers either I would rather live in Laleland but could adapt to Brandon or Plant City. Have a safe trip and happy hunting.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2003 View Post
Thanks for the information on apartments. I am going to check those out. Do you think I will have a problem finding a full-time job in the Lakeland area. Currently, I am working for the County in administrative support, but have my Bachelor's Degree in Food Marketing.
You might check with Publix (supermarket)- their corporate headquarters is here in Lakeland, and they are a great company to work for.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 AM

I am still researching apartments. Does anyone know anything about Imperial Crown, the Paddock Club or Lakeland Landing apartments? What other ones are good besides Willowbrooke? I want to have a listing so I can check them out. Thanks so much for any help you can give. Amy

Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
I would say either Tampa or Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay