Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,368 times

Advertisements

Aside from having two watchdogs barking their heads off, I don't open doors (especially at night) unless I know them. Otherwise, my husband does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forscythe87 View Post
I ask the two women living with me not to open it when im not home. When im home, being a guy, I always open it. You never know when someone may be running to your door for help. I'm not going to let these thugs cause me to live in fear. I am always extremely careful though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 12:18 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Makes sense to put in an intercom system and one-way glass near the front door to allow you to look out to see who is there.
I agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Aside from having two watchdogs barking their heads off, I don't open doors (especially at night) unless I know them. Otherwise, my husband does.
We had a case here not that long ago where the man in truly "man" fashion got up and opened the door without looking through the peep hole or calling out. Three men pushed into the house past him.

I have thought about getting a dog but big dogs are such a responsibility and I wouldn't want to get one and then NOT be able to to everything for him or her that they need and deserve.

I have some neighbors who have a gorgeous Rottweiller. The kind of dog that would make a robber pee their pants. I would SO much rather deter someone from ever breaking in the house then having them come in and me have to shoot someone.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:30 PM

362 posts, read 1,718,892 times
LIndsay...I say, go with whatever measures would be most comfortable to you. I grew up around firearms and am comfortable with them, but many of my friends are not. Its really a personal choice. I just advocate for each person being very aware of their surroundings, taking reasonable precautions, etc.

I'm a female who, although is married, often jogs and hikes alone etc due to my dh and I having different work schedules. I've also taken work contracts that put me in a separate state for months at a time...so for me, firepower is much more portable and requires less care than a dog. I could essentially drop my Glock in mud, run over it with a car, pick it up and fire it no problem....and I never have to feed it or pick up its poop.

Again, go with whatever your most comfortable. The previous posters advice about a baseball bat by the door is good. I also keep a huge mag flashlight (I think it takes like 4 C or D size batteries) tucked in my car. Its also good to whack someone with if you feel threatened.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
LIndsay...I say, go with whatever measures would be most comfortable to you. I grew up around firearms and am comfortable with them, but many of my friends are not. Its really a personal choice. I just advocate for each person being very aware of their surroundings, taking reasonable precautions, etc.

I'm a female who, although is married, often jogs and hikes alone etc due to my dh and I having different work schedules. I've also taken work contracts that put me in a separate state for months at a time...so for me, firepower is much more portable and requires less care than a dog. I could essentially drop my Glock in mud, run over it with a car, pick it up and fire it no problem....and I never have to feed it or pick up its poop.

Again, go with whatever your most comfortable. The previous posters advice about a baseball bat by the door is good. I also keep a huge mag flashlight (I think it takes like 4 C or D size batteries) tucked in my car. Its also good to whack someone with if you feel threatened.
Well I also grew up around firearms so they don't bother me. I keep a loaded .38 in the nightstand. When I need to secure it (because I also am a single Mother to an 11 year old daughter) I have a trigger lock for it. BUT under normal circumstances, its loaded and ready to go.

I don't WANT to shoot someone but I will should they get inside my house without an invitation. That in and of itself is enough of a reasonable threat.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:34 PM

I've been told that also having a home security sign in your yard (those little ones that say something like "brinks" are helpful deterrants but I haven't seen any actual research that looked at break-ins with houses that do and don't have them. Logically it seems it could work deter folks at night or when you're away...sadly, I don't think it'd help much with the door ringing folks that tie folks up when they open the door. Now that's where that rotweiler would really be handy!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
I've been told that also having a home security sign in your yard (those little ones that say something like "brinks" are helpful deterrants but I haven't seen any actual research that looked at break-ins with houses that do and don't have them. Logically it seems it could work deter folks at night or when you're away...sadly, I don't think it'd help much with the door ringing folks that tie folks up when they open the door. Now that's where that rotweiler would really be handy!
I have the signs AND the system. What I need to do is find an electrician to install the motion sensor carriage lights I bought and then put up some motion sensor lights on the side and back of my house.
Since I first commented in this thread, there was a shooting at the front door of a home in the town next door to me however it was not a random thing but still makes me nervous.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:51 PM

Yikes!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times
One way to see who's at the door is to install cameras. When someone rings the door bell, you can see who's there on the television. I don't have them, but I've seen it on a lot of homes.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
One way to see who's at the door is to install cameras. When someone rings the door bell, you can see who's there on the television. I don't have them, but I've seen it on a lot of homes.
Thats what I would like to have and from what I understand they can be wireless as well.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
A Beware of the dogs sign can help too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay