U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:22 PM

126 posts, read 492,398 times

Advertisements

I'm always amazed when I hear about people who answer their front door late in the evening when a stranger knocks, then are overtaken by thieves.

5 Jailed After 6 Violent Home Invasions In New Tampa

A ring of thieves was recently arrested in New Tampa for doing this, and it happened in a nice neighborhood near mine in Eastern Hillsborough County. A writer for The St. Petersburg Times left his computer on the back porch to open the door for someone, only to return to the porch and discover it had been stolen!

Do you open your doors to strangers, day or night? I would never do this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 01:42 PM

362 posts, read 1,602,298 times
No, I don't open my door to strangers. Especially if they're wearing white shirts, black ties, and wearing name tags.

But seriously, If I look out the peep hole, and even see random kids selling stuff, I often don't even open the door. I despise soliciting (and potential thieves who present as such). So anyone knocking on my door unexpectedly is usually up to shenanigans I say, shenanigans.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:03 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,838,223 times
Thumbs down Never!!

I would never open the door to strangers...unfortunately...some areas have become targets for the unsuspecting....four years ago when I was selling my house...a couple had showed up to view my home without a real estate agent....I would not let them in....even though they had a real estate agent's card with them...telling me that the real estate agent had sent them over.......they went down the block...to another home that was also for sale...used my name and told them I had just let them in my home and I had sent them down to look at their's.......you guessed it...tied them up...ransacked the house...and took their car......so like I said....I would never open my door to strangers and as a matter of fact....I would now call the police and request they come over to investigate....

Old 06-22-2008, 03:08 PM

877 posts, read 1,699,439 times
Not normally. But I can see falling prey to two young girls knocking on my door saying they'd been robbed. I hate crimes like this that take advantage of people's good nature.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 PM

26,812 posts, read 41,581,706 times
We have a "no soliciting" sign at the entrence to our community but the solicitors don't seem to be able to read! I have another one at my front door and that one seems to help, because less solicitors are ringing my door bell. Only the religous people who seem to need more souls for their religion keep ringing the door bell. Our HOA told us that people who have to do with religion are allowed to solicitate, others not and we should call the cops.

Last week 2 cars parked in front of my house 1 on each side of the road although we have a no street parking sign through out our whole community. (when 2 cars are parked across the street from each other the emergency cars can't even get through, so what are these people thinking)
I walked outside and the lady started to tell me all this religious stuff and I told her that street parking is not allowed and to move their cars......

Our HOA tried to set up a community watch, but not many people would sign up to help out..., but in our small sub community everybody knows each other and most people call the police when they even see strangers act abnormal.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 37,656 times
I ask the two women living with me not to open it when im not home. When im home, being a guy, I always open it. You never know when someone may be running to your door for help. I'm not going to let these thugs cause me to live in fear. I am always extremely careful though.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:30 PM

90 posts, read 325,156 times
Unfortunately, I don't have a peephole, and I do tend to open the door without knowing who it is. Gotta put an end to that, thanks for bringing it up.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:03 PM

362 posts, read 1,602,298 times
DecoDiva..going to your fav hardware place and getting a drill will be super fun. Really! Even though I'm a gal, there is something fun about tearing things up

Its an easy fix. Many people will put "chain link" lock on their doors so they can open their door a bit an look out. Problem with these is that a) a perp can kick the chain easily and 2) people can stick a firearm though the crack when you open the door. Some kind of system where you can see who it is before you open the door is essential. I don't mean to scare you, but it is true. Be careful!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:14 PM

90 posts, read 325,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
DecoDiva..going to your fav hardware place and getting a drill will be super fun. Really! Even though I'm a gal, there is something fun about tearing things up

Its an easy fix. Many people will put "chain link" lock on their doors so they can open their door a bit an look out. Problem with these is that a) a perp can kick the chain easily and 2) people can stick a firearm though the crack when you open the door. Some kind of system where you can see who it is before you open the door is essential. I don't mean to scare you, but it is true. Be careful!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:23 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,159,699 times
Geez, that is terrible.. I checked one of the names and they had been arrested 6 times.

I very seldom ever open my door to anyone I do not know, although you know if I saw a woman standing there I might have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or