Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:37 AM

267 posts, read 1,141,144 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband just got a job transfer to the tampa area from Long Island, NY. Coming from out of state, we have no idea where to look. I know he will primarily be in the Tampa area, with some trips to Orlando every other week or so. I have young kids, so a kid friendly community is very important as well as a good school district. I also know that I want a deed restricted community. I had my heart set on Fishhawk ranch, but I think that may be too far for him to commute. Any one know of any other nice comminities that we should be looking at. I would really appreciate any/all advice. Thanks in advance.
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,144 times
anyone have any info??

Old 01-18-2007, 05:54 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times
http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/go/FL

I live in Lakeland so my info is limited so here goes.
Living anywhere near the gulf is a drastic insurance increase. the highest level hurricane evacuation goes nearly to Brandon. Beware. From my insurance agent back when I thought I could afford a house on 1 income:
Hip roof (no gables)= less insurance. The top of a gable is a point load going upward during a hurricane.
1 story = less insurance
Non evacuation area= less insurance
Its still going to be much higher than you are used to.
I have heard good about.
Riverview
PARTS of Brandon. Brandon is the mega shopping area along RT 60 so traffic is high even by FL standards. OTOH all the big box stores you need are there.
Be careful. FL zoning is much looser so you will see trailers next to 500K homes.
Bonus for Riverview/ Brandon is easy access to I4 to Orlando.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:18 AM

97 posts, read 433,291 times
We are in the same boat as you. My husband's job has brought us to Tampa. we have 2 grade school age children, so schools are important to us. We are just west of Town & Country, that's about 3 miles west of the air port.There are a lot of condo's for rent here. We decided to rent for 6mo. so we could check out the Tampa area. Condo's rent for around 1000/mo. for a 2 bedroom. Our development is gated, if your interested please PM me.

We are still waiting for our house to sell so we can buy. We haven't made a finale decision on where we want to live, but renting has given us a chance to see where we dont want to live. Anyway it's just something to think about.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyh View Post
We are in the same boat as you. My husband's job has brought us to Tampa. we have 2 grade school age children, so schools are important to us. We are just west of Town & Country, that's about 3 miles west of the air port.There are a lot of condo's for rent here. We decided to rent for 6mo. so we could check out the Tampa area. Condo's rent for around 1000/mo. for a 2 bedroom. Our development is gated, if your interested please PM me.

We are still waiting for our house to sell so we can buy. We haven't made a finale decision on where we want to live, but renting has given us a chance to see where we dont want to live. Anyway it's just something to think about.
why is the condo area gated? doesn't it seem strange, in the USA, that you have to live behind gates? i couldn't live like that. like being in prison. why the gates - I don't get it?

Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,007 times
Default What company and location in Tampa

This is huge area, so you want to know exact job location.

Hillsborough county is expensive right now to buy. Are you wanting to buy?

I lived her over 40 yrs lived in all areas of Tampa.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 AM

33 posts, read 177,518 times
Some people like going to bed at night knowing that only the residents that rent are on the premises. I personally have never lived in a gated community, but I don't see anything wrong with it. If you pay the HOA fees for security and you sleep better at night, good for you.
If you have ever seen gated communities, especially in Florida, they are far from being in prison, but I don't know where you live.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 AM

33 posts, read 177,518 times
Minniemon, I agree with mandyh. You should rent in the Tampa area, and shop around, while doing all your research on schools, library spending, childrens activities, etc,.
The areas south of Tampa might interest you. We have friends up and down the gulf coast, but it depends on your husbands willingness to travel.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
why is the condo area gated? doesn't it seem strange, in the USA, that you have to live behind gates? i couldn't live like that. like being in prison. why the gates - I don't get it?
It sounds like you are critical of people in the USA. . I know when I go to other countries I am very respectful of their ways, even if it is strange to me. . I do not understand why people from other countries do not have the same attitude when they come here.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:41 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Seacrher View Post
obviously someone doesn't know the desirability of living in a gated community....it doesn't mean however that one is inherently better than the other, but gated communities don't just have SF residences, they sometimes incorporate townhomes, flats, cluster homes, villas, lakes, water access, community entertainment/clubhouses/pools/safe and monitored recreation areas for children/tennis courts/golf courses, and other ammenities !! what the devil is wrong with that??????????
personally, i would never live my life behind a locked gate - but if you like living behind a locked gate, that's fine. no worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay