Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM

91 posts, read 387,717 times

Advertisements

This is a long shot I figure, but I wanted to know if anyone out there in the greater Tampa area plays drums in their house or garage?

I am moving to the Tampa area this weekend and I am bringing my drums with me. I play them in the basement now so I never have a problem with neighbors complaining about noise.

However in FL with no basements and homes pretty close together, I wanted to see if it is an issue, or what other FL drummers do to avoid making the neighbors angry.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,803 times
Hey Jack! Not a drummer... bassist Most drumers practice inside, usually in a spare room. If you are in a concrete house and don't bash too hard, I doubt you will have any problems. If you do, you can make removeable "plugs" for the windows using thick styrofoam squares. It works really well! My present band rehearses in the drummers spare bedroom... with a small (monitors only) practice PA. No problemo!

Don't do the garage at your house thing! It's trouble. You just can't keep the sound down enough and besides it sounds terrible and it's HOT... not very inspiring. LOL

If you are in an apt setting, it could be troublesome. In that case there are a few storage garages around to rent monthly or get a cheapy electronic kit for home practice.

What kinda music you play?

BTW, A local website here is Tampa Bay Music realitysnap.com music promotions presents the Tampa Bay areas music scene..... tampa bay areas music scene.. bay area music... tampa nightclubs. bay area venues, tampa music, central florida music musician search, music classifeids, m

Old 06-26-2008, 08:28 PM

91 posts, read 387,717 times
Thanks summergal! You know, I was actually thinking about plugging the windows with big foam blocks I just was not sure how to make them or how much of a PITA they would be to install every time I want to play, I play the drums almost every night when I come home as a stress reliever. I guess I could leave them in and my neighbors will think I am a vampire or something

I've done the garage thing in NJ with my old band and in the summer it sucks, very hot and the whole street can hear you, haha.

I am probably going to eventually have to get an electronic set...had one the first time I lived in FL but it just isn't the same, and I love my acoustic kit. My goal is to take at least one room and make a studio so I can record.

I play drums, guitar and sing and love to record, I play alot of Sublime-ish music, some punk, reggae, rock, and some mellow stuff. Really anything, I just love making music. Another guy from my old band is also moving down to Tampa and we thought about trying to get a band back together but now that I am older, married and working on a masters, time is short! haha. But I just want to be able to jam every once and a while.

Thanks for the reply and the link!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:17 AM

70 posts, read 363,288 times
My Fiance plays his drums in the garage. He has it partially soundproofed by using those foam blocks in the windows/ceiling and some more foam over the garage door. It does not totally block the sound though, but thankfully our neighbors enjoy listening to him play. It does get very very hot for him though, as you can imagine. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay