Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 12:08 PM

11 posts, read 50,766 times

Advertisements

I am in need of information about family communities around the Tampa area. We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood (gated community) that has great (A rated schools), close to shopping and restaurants, low crime, 30 minutes or so from Tampa.
My husband and I are in healthcare and come from the Boston area. Taxes in Mass. are ridiculous, housing prices are crazy, and insurance rates are not good either. We know all about high costs of living.
We are looking for a house with 2500 sq. feet and a pool. We don't mind chain restaurants and love convenience.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Looking into Lutz, Land O' Lakes, Odessa, Oldsmar, Palm Harbor? I really want a new build but I am open to anything with a young family feel to the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 01:51 AM

6 posts, read 15,894 times
Actually those places are a little far out. try Tampa Palms, Wesley chapel (around the 33647 zip). Or maybe riverview.lithia

Old 02-16-2007, 01:15 PM

53 posts, read 250,935 times
Smile Lutz/Land O Lakes

Lutz and Land O lakes would fit you perfectly. I have lived in Land O Lakes for the past 20 years and it is totally a family community. Many gated subdivision and only about 30 minutes to Tampa. Very convenient to I-75 and the Suncoast parkway. The schools in Land O Lakes are fantastic. I have one in elementary (Pineview) and one in High school (Land O Lakes High) and both are excellent schools. There is a community center in Land O Lakes that has soccer, softball, baseball, football, cheerleading and all kinds of other activities going on. The library has just been renovated and doubled in size and is set to re-open in the next month or so. Just for your info- SR 54 divides Land O lakes and Lutz. One side of the road you are in Land O Lakes, the south side you are in Lutz. Both are in Pasco county, which has lower taxes than Hillsborough.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,520 times
Lutz Lady,
Can you give me some info on Odessa. I am having a home built there and even though I visited the area, I find very little info on the area. I have been told that Odessa really isn't a city. Is it part of Land o Lakes since it is situated on route 54? I am kind of confused with this whole subdivision thing. Any info you can give would be much appreciated.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I don't know how they classify Odessa, but it is definitely not a city, just an "area" so to speak. We drive through it on the way back from Tarpon Springs. It's just kind of rural, but there is no "town to speak of. Looks nice, but is driving distance away from amenities and shopping.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 34,199 times
Odessa is not far from Tampa, Pinellas and Pasco County. You can hop on the express way and get to just about anything in 30 minutes or less.

I have lived here for 5 years and love the area.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:05 AM

36 posts, read 138,057 times
I just wanted to say something about gated communities............ They are just for looks. All the gated communities I have seen not only have a gate, but a side entrance that anyone can go into.
Even the ones like East Lake where there is a guard on duty doesn't know if you are really going to someone's house or not.
There have been a few times that I have attended a tupperware party, or a creative memories party.........I couldn't remember the last name of the person giving the party, so I used an Aunt's name. My Aunt moved out of there over 5 years ago, my enterance to East Lake was never questioned.

My point is, don't get taken in by a false sence of security. Gates look pretty, but they don't keep people out.

Look for a community that you like and that fits your needs. Then call the local sherriff's office or better yet, go there. Talk to them. They can give you a crime report generated by zip code.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM

21 posts, read 77,242 times
Hi, We moved from MA to Land O Lakes last July. We moved into a new gated community. Stonegate. I love the area we are in. Its right near the schools, shopping, restaurants, highway. 15min to Tampa. The weather sure beats Boston right now. Only downfall is traffic at times. But you get that too on the Pike or Rte. 9. Email with any questions. jajsmom@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay