Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:36 AM

22 posts, read 104,042 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating on putting up a bat house on my property in New Tampa. Has anyone has any experiences with bats and bat houses in the general area? Last weekend I put up a bird feeder in my back yard because of my work schedule I didn't have time to bird watch. This morning during breakfast I am surprise that there are so much birds that comes to feed in the morning. Now I have to buy a bird book and learn to identify the different bird species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 05:41 PM

126 posts, read 538,776 times
I always heard you should be near water to attract bats.
Enjoy the birds! There are a lot of books on Florida birds that should help you ID them.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
I am on the East Coast of Florida and although we have bats in my area my bat house has been up for 2 years without any residents. I learned later that it's because there are so many houses nearby with barrel-tiled roofs. The bats absolutely love nesting in the barrel tile and while there is enough barrel tile to go around they are ignoring my bat house.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,803 times
Where do you get bat houses? Can you just buy one at Lowe's or do you have to build one?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:26 PM

You can either build one or buy one. This is an interesting bat site

Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,803 times
Thanks for the link. Have you seen their bat cam? That is awesome! Very busy bats LOL

Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Cool Get Ready 2 Duck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Hung View Post
I am contemplating on putting up a bat house on my property in New Tampa. Has anyone has any experiences with bats and bat houses in the general area? Last weekend I put up a bird feeder in my back yard because of my work schedule I didn't have time to bird watch. This morning during breakfast I am surprise that there are so much birds that comes to feed in the morning. Now I have to buy a bird book and learn to identify the different bird species.
I live up in NY and my buddy has a place on one of the larger lakes...the mosquitos were always a problem...until someone told him that bats eat twice their weight in mosquitos daily......so up went the bat houses...bought them online...two years later...there are hardly any mosquito complaints....but the bats zoom/dive bomb/etc...all around his property...and at times they circle around you as you walk around...I guess hoping you will stur up some ground activity for them...

Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Yes - bats are EXTREMELY cool. I am still hoping some will move into my bat house...I see them around but I guess none of them are homeless . I got mine over the from a place in Texas that makes them....I wish I could remember the name.......

Old 07-12-2008, 10:14 PM

53 posts, read 259,605 times
Default Bats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Hung View Post
Hey, where are you having bats in New Tampa? Are you seeing them in your tile roof?

Old 07-13-2008, 06:51 AM

I have not seen any bats in the New Tampa area but I want to put up a bat house to lure bats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay